Default Surface Drive Project

I am currently in the early stages of designing/building a 20' V-hull
with a fixed shaft type surface piercing drive. Power will be provided
by a standard inboard type transmission mated to a 330hp. V8 gas engine.
Does anyone have any experience with surface piercing drives good or
bad? If so, please share any information that could be useful or
possibly help avoid a failure/problem situation. I know that the props
are a major cost, and can be difficult to select. Any help appreciated.
Thanks. Tom.

Larry

Go he http://www.howardarneson.com

Howard knows more about surface drives than most of us will ever know.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

wrote in message
I am currently in the early stages of designing/building a 20' V-hull
with a fixed shaft type surface piercing drive. Power will be provided
by a standard inboard type transmission mated to a 330hp. V8 gas engine.
Does anyone have any experience with surface piercing drives good or
bad? If so, please share any information that could be useful or
possibly help avoid a failure/problem situation. I know that the props
are a major cost, and can be difficult to select. Any help appreciated.
Thanks. Tom.

Bill Sheffield

So a search for "Simplicity Drives". I remember seeing them a while back.
They were designed to replace IO units....

Bill

Yes, I am using a marine transmission, when I wrote standard inboard
transmission, I was referring to a standard inboard "marine"
transmission. It's a paragon marine transmission. Does anyone know if
you remove the tailshaft assembly on a Paragon 3:1 does the drive ratio
revert to 1:1?

Merc BIII Drive Oil Resevoir Bottle "Foamy" After Long Run? Slambram General 0 June 9th 04 02:46 PM
Storing boat with drive up? werlax General 6 November 5th 03 03:35 AM
Trimming the drive Joe Parsons General 9 September 9th 03 10:51 AM
Looking for project Sailboat? Graham Boat Building 11 August 25th 03 12:01 PM
Velvet Drive Slipping Keith General 0 August 4th 03 02:23 PM