Slambram

Default Merc BIII Drive Oil Resevoir Bottle "Foamy" After Long Run?

Noticed a few drops of drive oil in the driveway before taking the
boat out last night. Appeared to be coming from the upper vent screw
which is missing it's felt gasket. No problem - found and installed
an O-ring of suitable size, topped off the revervoir bottle, removed
the drain screw and checked for water (none) and went on my way. Got
about 10 miles out and decided to check the reservoir bottle - the oil
was foamy and higher than when i left. I panicked for a second,
considered getting towed in, then decided to head for shore at slow
crusing speed. When i got back i checked the reservoir bottle
expecting the worst. Not bad - a few foamy bubbles and the level was
down where it should be. I had idled for about the last 10 minutes,
whereas before i had just come off plane.

Now that i think about it, was the foamy bubbling right after the run
the air pocket caused by removing the vent screw working itself out?
I couldn't tilt the drive all the way down when i removed so i lost a
little fluid. Is it ever normal to see this kind of thing in the
reservoir right after a run? If i was getting water into the drive,
would i see evidence in the bottle, or down at the drain screw? I
always thought an water would show up at the bottom of the drive.

Oh, and are both the vent and drain screws supposed to have those felt
gaskets. The screw with the missing gasket was originally on the
bottom, but i moved it to the top figuring the gasket was more
important on the bottom. I couldn't get another one at the time.
I'll be making that a priority.

Thanks, -JZ