posted to rec.boats.building
Paul Oman Paul Oman is offline

Default Peeling fiberglass surface

lid wrote:
I bought a new 14' fiberglass skiff in 1998 and have used it only 2-3
times. It has spent 99% of its life upside down on a pair of saw
horses. About 2 years ago, I noticed the surface of the interior began
peeling. It started on the center seat but is now spreading to other
areas of the interior. Its not happening to the outside gel coat on
the bottom of the boat or sides. The interior hasn't seen much sun or
heat. And the fiberglass underneath is dry to the touch, not sticky
at all, and I see no obvious reason for the surface to peel the way
it's doing.
I can sand the peeling areas and paint it with something but I'm
thinking the entire surface will eventually peel away and I'll end up
sanding and painting one small area at a time over the next few years.
Is this type surface typically just spray painted when its built? It
doesn't look like gel coat. And what would make it start peeling this
way?
Here's some photos.
http://s958.photobucket.com/albums/a...&current=5.jpg
Anyone have a theory of what causing it and what exactly I need to do
about it?
Thanks in advance.
Rick

Yep, like other noted, it is just the paint peeling after 12 yearss of age.
sand and repaint......