James F. Aguiar

Default refinishing kayak surface

I have two plastic Peception Arcadia kayaks that are somewhat
scratched. I have tried to wet sand, compound, but nothing seems to
work. All I seem to get is a white chalked finish. Are these plastic
kayaks unrepairable? Jim
Brian Nystrom

James F. Aguiar wrote:

I have two plastic Peception Arcadia kayaks that are somewhat
scratched. I have tried to wet sand, compound, but nothing seems to
work. All I seem to get is a white chalked finish. Are these plastic
kayaks unrepairable? Jim

Don't waste your time. There's little you can do to resurface a plastic
boat. They scratch so easily that any effort you put into smoothing the
surface is largely a waste of time. Sanding and compounding doesn't work
because the material is too soft. I suggest that you just paddle them
and forget about it.

If you're determined to do something with the surface, larger "hairies"
can be removed with a razor blade and smaller ones can be flattened with
a heat gun or by passing a propane torch over them (use a flame
spreader). If you go this route, be careful, as the hull material melts
at a low temperature. Deep gouges can be fixed by plastic welding.
Harbor Freight sells a plastic welding kit for $20 or so that should do
the job, if you feel you need it.

Michael Daly

On 20-Sep-2004, "Kenneth McClelland" wrote:

If you just want the hull speed back what about waxes like they use on skis

Only if you paddle on snow.

and according to the old surfer movies (I have no knowledge about surfing)
on surfboards.

Wax on a surfboard is sticky to keep your feet from sliding around.

Waxing a hull for speed is a myth.

Mike

James F. Aguiar

James F. Aguiar wrote:

[...]

Thanks....the heat gun solves the problem of removing the
chalky...fuzz...and actually brings back the original finish....and
yes it will flatten out the lighter scratches like you said....I have
not dared to apply a flame...
Thanks...Jim