posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] Phantman00@nospam.invalid is offline

Default Peeling fiberglass surface

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:32:52 -0500, Phantman00 wrote:
Here's some photos.
http://s958.photobucket.com/albums/a...&current=5.jpg

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:27:38 +0700, bruceinbangkok wrote:
I think your first problem is to determine whether that is gelcoat or
paint. It is impossible to determine in the pictures. From looking at
it is doesn't appear to be osmoses. If it is osmoses there will
generally be some blisters containing a liquid that smells much like
vinegar.

In one picture, the intersection of seat front and the bottom of the
boat there is a small area that looks like a section of whatever, the
gelcoat, glass gusset, paint, etc., Can you, perhaps prize that off
and determine what it is?

Oh! .... uh .... -ahem-.... that's dirt .... assuming you're looking
at the close up of the front part of the middle seat.
The boat has been upright for a couple of months collecting oak tree
leaves, bird droppings, dirt, etc and I just swept up the leaves with
my hands and didn't wash the dirt off. I just now sponged that area
clean and will take another photo in an hour or two when the sun is
higher and isn't casting a shadow on half the shot.

On determining whether it's gel coat or paint, I'll try calling the
manufacturer next week. But for now, I've compared the flakes with
some exterior paint flakes coming off a wood house next door. They
appear to be the same thickness. But the house paint flakes are very
flexible and don't break when you bend them. They'll fold completely
over and back again easily. The flakes off the boat are brittle and
snap off when you bend them. Don't know if that means anything or not.
Also, the boat finish must have been applied in two applications.
Solid white first, then the gray speckles. Because only the top side
is speckled. The back side of the flake is solid white.

Whatever it is, the finishing method seems to be a standard in the
industry. Most of the small inexpensive skiffs I've seen (w/no inner
liner) use the same type finish.

One other thing, I'm thinking the hull and the seats were laid up
separately with two separate batches of resin, then the seats were
glassed into place, and lastly the paint (or gel coat) was sprayed on
the whole shebang. That would be another factor pointing to a resin
problem because, so far, the only peeling taking place is on the
seats. All three of them. But no indication of peeling on the hull's
interior so far (bottom or sides).

Anyhow, I'll post another photo (of a dirt free seat/bottom) a little
later today.

Thanks,
Rick