Steve

Default Inflateable surface deterioration ??

I have West Marine (Force 4) inflateable that is suppose to be PVC
fabric.. Even though it is over 10 years old, it has only been exposed
to sun and weather for 4 summer seasons.

Last year I notice an area, about the size of my hand, that was
discolored and slightly tacky to the touch. I tried cleaning it with
mild soapy water, along with the remainder of the surface, at the end of
the season. Even though the tackyness seemed to go away, the surface
discoloration remained.

This summer the inflateable has seen further heavy useage and the area
has doubled in size and has gone from tacky to gummy.

I also note that this area is where my stern mooring line lays across
this tube. I suspect that there are occasions when this mooring line has
come in contact with spilled fuel mix or oil residue.

Now that the damage is done and the possible cause has been identified,
how can I repair this area??? The surface is now beyond just cleaning
since I think I could scrap the outer layer down to the fabric (don't
want to do this).

I'm thinking I should obtain a patch, slightly larger than the area,
clean the surface and apply the patch with the tube inflated.

How much pressure is required to apply a PVC patch?? Is it just a
contact glue??

Steve
s/v Good Intentions
Doug Dotson

Just hand pressure is usually fine to apply a patch. Using a roller
creates good contact. 2-part adhesive is better. Bad news is that PVC
inflatables have a pretty bad reputation for exactly what you are
describing and it will just get worse. Two, choices. Either get a
pair of chaps to cover the tubes and keep the UV off, or chuck
the thing and get a hypalon inflatable.

Doug
s/v CAllista

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

rhys

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:06:29 -0400, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

Just hand pressure is usually fine to apply a patch. Using a roller
creates good contact. 2-part adhesive is better. Bad news is that PVC
inflatables have a pretty bad reputation for exactly what you are
describing and it will just get worse. Two, choices. Either get a
pair of chaps to cover the tubes and keep the UV off, or chuck
the thing and get a hypalon inflatable.

There is a third alternative for decaying PVC...Zodiac, I'm looking at
you....and that is replacing the tubes and keeping the RIB portion (a
portion of RIB?).

I bought a mid-90s Zodiac YL310 RIB in 2000 and immediately got a
cover for it. It consequently hasn't got much worse, but some of the
structural patches are coming loose and of course, the tubes are
filthy looking. I consider this in freshwater a positive benefit, as
mine was the only Zodiac in my row not stolen in the last three years
(or had an obvious attempt, anyway...maybe it's just the old-school
Honda BF100 that drives 'em away).

Anyway, the RIB bit is good enough to recycle, and when I go south, I
will get 17" tubes (stock is 16") made of Hypalon and cut slightly
longer with stock Zodiac valves and custom hardware and tie-downs
appropriate to davits and rougher conditions than Lake Ontario. Cost:
about $2,200 Canadian, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new
RIB. I'll probably go to a Yamaha 15 at that point, too.

Hope this helps,
R.