posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] Phantman00@nospam.invalid is offline

Default Peeling fiberglass surface

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 20:41:32 -0500, Phantman00 wrote:
I hadn't even thought about wax or anything else like that in the
resin. I guess that's possible.

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 16:08:29 +0700, bruceinbangkok wrote:
Wax in polyester is used to allow seal the resin from the air to allow
the resin to harden without a sticky surface. If a getcoat is used as
the first layer in a lay up schedule there is no need for wax.
I haven't checked costs but I'd guess that the resin containing wax
might be a bit more expensive then the untreated stuff so logically a
factory would use "un-waxed" resin when using get-coat.

hmmm.... then it would make sense to use "un-waxed" resin for the hull
(hull definitely has a gel coat exterior) but wax in the resin for the
seats. The finish on the seats and interior hull are sprayed on after
they both came out of their respective molds. That would explain my
problem perfectly.
But it wouldn't explain why 1000 +/- other boats exactly like mine
aren't peeling too.... as far as I know.
But I do know a guy with a boat exactly like mine (a couple years
older) that I'll email to ask him how his boat finish is getting along
these days.
Thanks again,
Rick