posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Fractional sailing?

katy wrote:
Capt. Rob wrote:

Doug is flat out wrong.

Occasionally happens, but not this time.

Most of the boats, power and sail, at our club see a lot of use. A
very few don't. I used to think Doug's comment had some truth to it,
but not any more. Once I spent more time at my club I realized that
only a few boats sat without use. Of course Doug walks around asking
dockmasters about the sailboats that don't sail!!!
Anyone believe THAT???

BWAHAHAHHAHAAHA! We sailed today. Doug did not. Doug does not have a
sailboat.

RB
35s5
NY

Seeing that I sail out of the same marina as Doug, I can verify that.
Our dickmaster makes active note of who sails what when where and why
and can tell you exactly how many times each boat leaves the dock. He
also keeps track of time that each boat leaves, looks out for when you
return and is waiting on the dock for you...he is probably one of the
most "in the know" guys I have ever seen..he makes it his business to
know everything going on in our marina...and there are a lot of boats
that never go out...their owners are living way far away and only make
it there for long vacations...

Lordy...typo...it's is of course, dockmaster...NC has laws against
practicing the other...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Seeing that I sail out of the same marina as Doug, I can verify that.
Our dickmaster

Ahhh, I see they finally hired Doug.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:
The idea that the overwhelming majority of boats never sail is a
bunch of
baloney.

Maybe in the marinas & sailing clubs that you have been to.

snip

What happened to your Great Loop trip? Can't afford fuel? Engine break?
Blisters pop and leak?

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ps.com...
Seeing that I sail out of the same marina as Doug, I can verify that.
Our dickmaster

Dickmaster? Why do you have to gay up every post?

Ahhh, I see they finally hired Doug.

At least somebody thinks Doug's labor is worth the money. Unlike you,
who got fired from that lame sail loft for gross incompetence and for
giving their product a bad name so they booted your worthless arse out
onto the street . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 00:05:36 GMT, wrote this crap:

Your last sentence says a lot. Not being used seems to be worse for a
boat than moderate use. So, how to address this problem? For a
cruising boat, I cannot think of a way but for racing boats a racing
club might be the way.

The idea that the overwhelming majority of boats never sail is a bunch of
baloney. People have different schedules. I'll bet there are people who think my
boat never leaves the dock, simply because we have different schedules. I sail a
lot. Two or three evenings during the week and at least one day every weekend.
If I go down to my marina on a weekday morning, many boats that are usually
there when I normally sail are gone. It may be that many boats don't get used
often, but it's not nearly the high number that is often speculated.

I remember reading a letter to the editor of a newspaper once by some crank who
said he went out on the highway and drove exactly 55 mph all day. His conclusion
based on his observations was that virtually nobody else was driving 55. Well,
duh! If you drive for fifty years at 55 you will never catch up with, or be
passed by anybody else driving the same speed.

Doug is flat out wrong. That's nothing new.

No, you're an idiot.

I've been to my yacht club on every weekend, during the week, and on
evenings. 75% of the boats never leave the dock. The other 25% stay
in the dock 90% of the time. I sail more than anyone on this
newsgroup, and my boat sits in the dock most days. And when it goes
out, it's usually for only a few hours.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:
Doug said 99.9% never get used.

I see the problem.
You didn't read what I wrote.

What I wrote:
"Walking around almost any marina or sailing club, you'll see millions
of dollars sitting idle 99.99% of the time."

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

At least somebody thinks Doug's labor is worth the money. Unlike you,
who got fired from that lame sail loft for gross incompetence and for
giving their product a bad name so they booted your worthless arse out
onto the street . . .

Golly! You mean the two lofts where I sold sails for Hunter 43,
Pearson 33, C&C 29, Beneteau 35cc and Cape Dory 26? That's some
booting!
Ahh...making the sockpuppets dance....good times.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Doug said 99.9% never get used.

That's Dickmaster math. They're teaching it in all of the new
Dickmaster schools these days, but using my slide rule made from whale
bone I worked out that sailboats in my club sit idle 37.8% of the
time.
BTW, Doug sails 0.0 % of the time. He's a powerboater and that's a
fact.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:
The idea that the overwhelming majority of boats never

sail is a bunch of
baloney.

Maybe in the marinas & sailing clubs that you have been

to.

.... People have different schedules. I'll bet there are

people who think my
boat never leaves the dock, simply because we have

different schedules.

And the dockmaster(s) who are there all day, every day?

The retired
guys who hang out there? You may have a "different

schedule" but if
there's never anybody else there to see you, then that

would tend to
prove my point that other boats aren't getting sailed

much.

Doug is flat out wrong.

Occasionally happens, but not this time.

Ask any dockmaster or club manager what percent of boats

get taken out
twice a year or less.

talk to the yard apes, they really know the skinny.

What Doug said is true.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message

People have different schedules. I'll bet there are

people who think my
boat never leaves the dock, simply because we have

different schedules.

I returned to the slip one Saturday, after a 4 day sail and
my 'neighbor' was there and asked, '' you finally going for
a sail?''. I answered no, I just got back. Then he said how
he's noticed my boat tied up most weekends. I don't like
weekends during ''the season'' when all the weekend warrior
stink potters are out.

Scotty

Sailing World and US Sailing Bart Senior ASA 8 March 24th 06 11:47 PM
Fractional Rig Offers Advantages Over Masthead Rig Mic Cruising 12 July 16th 05 02:04 PM
sailing Jeff Morris ASA 38 March 25th 04 12:52 AM
sailing Jonathan Ganz ASA 15 March 24th 04 12:28 AM
Rather than being out sailing . . . Simple Simon ASA 1 August 22nd 03 05:48 PM