posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bloody Horvath Bloody Horvath is offline

Default Fractional sailing?

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 00:05:36 GMT, wrote this crap:

Your last sentence says a lot. Not being used seems to be worse for a
boat than moderate use. So, how to address this problem? For a
cruising boat, I cannot think of a way but for racing boats a racing
club might be the way.

The idea that the overwhelming majority of boats never sail is a bunch of
baloney. People have different schedules. I'll bet there are people who think my
boat never leaves the dock, simply because we have different schedules. I sail a
lot. Two or three evenings during the week and at least one day every weekend.
If I go down to my marina on a weekday morning, many boats that are usually
there when I normally sail are gone. It may be that many boats don't get used
often, but it's not nearly the high number that is often speculated.

I remember reading a letter to the editor of a newspaper once by some crank who
said he went out on the highway and drove exactly 55 mph all day. His conclusion
based on his observations was that virtually nobody else was driving 55. Well,
duh! If you drive for fifty years at 55 you will never catch up with, or be
passed by anybody else driving the same speed.

Doug is flat out wrong. That's nothing new.

No, you're an idiot.

I've been to my yacht club on every weekend, during the week, and on
evenings. 75% of the boats never leave the dock. The other 25% stay
in the dock 90% of the time. I sail more than anyone on this
newsgroup, and my boat sits in the dock most days. And when it goes
out, it's usually for only a few hours.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.