posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Fractional sailing?

"Scotty" wrote:
I returned to the slip one Saturday, after a 4 day sail and
my 'neighbor' was there and asked, '' you finally going for
a sail?''. I answered no, I just got back. Then he said how
he's noticed my boat tied up most weekends. I don't like
weekends during ''the season'' when all the weekend warrior
stink potters are out.

It's true that some have different schedules; but the fact remains
that a large number of boats sit unused. If you walk the docks and
look around, you can tell a boat that is taken out often and taken
care of, albeit in times when there many not be anybody to see, from
one that just sits unloved.

The New Bern marina dockmaster once said that about 20% of the boats
in his marina have never been taken out once during the years they've
been parked there. The man in the slip next to us has taken his boat
out twice in 4 years, spent more time prepping for hurricanes than he
has sailing. It's also true that there are many owners who live far
away, one boat is owned from Colorado and the owner goes on a 2 week
trip every year and doesn't see the boat otherwise.

One reason why there are so many different kinds of boats is that
there are so many different kinds of sailors!

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thanks for all the responses! I think I just need to start calling places
up and get the details on the various plans. I'd love to have my own boat,
but it seems like dockage is at a premium. There are plenty of sailing
clubs that offer slips to members (Lake Erie) but some of these have long
waiting lists and I don't know if it makes sense to buy a boat so I can join
a club and then store it while I wait for a slip to open up. Need to do
some more digging!

Steve

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Steve wrote:
Thanks for all the responses! I think I just need to start calling places
up and get the details on the various plans. I'd love to have my own boat,
but it seems like dockage is at a premium. There are plenty of sailing
clubs that offer slips to members (Lake Erie) but some of these have long
waiting lists and I don't know if it makes sense to buy a boat so I can join
a club and then store it while I wait for a slip to open up. Need to do
some more digging!

Steve

Get a trailer sailor or find a mooring can...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message

Get a trailer sailor or find a mooring can...

A trailerable boat is out for me as I do a lot of single-hand. I'm not sure
I'd feel comfortable storing my boat to a mooring all season! Thanks!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Steve wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Get a trailer sailor or find a mooring can...

A trailerable boat is out for me as I do a lot of single-hand. I'm not sure
I'd feel comfortable storing my boat to a mooring all season! Thanks!

huh? Why wouldn't you be able to singlehand a trailer sailerable boat?
We had an O'Day 22 and it was singlehanded all the time by either one
of us...and we've had our boat on a mooring...what's the problem with
that??? If you're worried about stepping the boat alone, it's really not
that difficult when you use a come-along...It's a way to get around the
waiting for a slip thing...you put the boat on the mooring and sail off
it while waiting for your name to come up on the list...in fact, you
will become a better sailor learning to sail on and off a can than you
would coming and going from a dock....

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message

huh? Why wouldn't you be able to singlehand a trailer sailerable boat? We
had an O'Day 22 and it was singlehanded all the time by either one of
us...and we've had our boat on a mooring...what's the problem with that???
If you're worried about stepping the boat alone, it's really not that
difficult when you use a come-along...It's a way to get around the waiting
for a slip thing...you put the boat on the mooring and sail off it while
waiting for your name to come up on the list...in fact, you will become a
better sailor learning to sail on and off a can than you would coming and
going from a dock....

My only experience with trailerable boats are the powered variety and that
is definitely a two-person operation: one to sit in the boat and pilot it
and one to back the trailer down the boat ramp into the water. For the
mooring, I guess I didn't realize you could just drop a mooring somewhere
offshore and use it indefinitely. Don't you need someone's permission?
I've used moorings before but only those off Long Wharf in Boston Harbor and
they were maintained by the sailing club.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Steve" wrote in message
. net...

"

My only experience with trailerable boats are the powered

variety and that
is definitely a two-person operation: one to sit in the

boat and pilot it
and one to back the trailer down the boat ramp into the

water.

I, along with thousands of other's have launched boats
single handed for years.

For the
mooring, I guess I didn't realize you could just drop a

mooring somewhere
offshore and use it indefinitely. Don't you need

someone's permission?

yes, King Neptune's.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Steve" wrote in message
t...

"katy" wrote in message

Get a trailer sailor or find a mooring can...

A trailerable boat is out for me as I do a lot of

single-hand.

WTF?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Steve" wrote in message
. net...

"katy" wrote in message

[...]

Sailing vessels are different from power vessels. I've owned
trailer-sailers, and I've sailed with others who own them. They're not
particularly difficult to launch/retrieve.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Sailing vessels are different from power vessels. I've owned
trailer-sailers, and I've sailed with others who own them. They're not
particularly difficult to launch/retrieve.

I've never had to deal with transporting/launching a boat so I guess I'm
pretty ignorant about what is involved. I'm glad to hear it isn't difficult
as it adds another option for me. Thanks!

Sailing World and US Sailing Bart Senior ASA 8 March 24th 06 11:47 PM
Fractional Rig Offers Advantages Over Masthead Rig Mic Cruising 12 July 16th 05 02:04 PM
sailing Jeff Morris ASA 38 March 25th 04 12:52 AM
sailing Jonathan Ganz ASA 15 March 24th 04 12:28 AM
Rather than being out sailing . . . Simple Simon ASA 1 August 22nd 03 05:48 PM