posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Daysailor's Portable Stove -- JetBoil

"Scotty" wrote in message
news
hand warmer? that's what a wench is for.

I call them winch wenches...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
wrote in message

ps.com...

A daysailor needs a stove?

most Benny's have stoves.

I stand corrected.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Now if we could just get you to not eat the sterno.

what do *you* do when the rum bottles are empty?

Piracy...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 22, 11:01 pm, Bart wrote:
I often seem to find myself out on the water
and hungry because plans changed or the
wind died. Since I'm often on small daysailers,
this presents a problem.

I've started carrying a personal JetBoil in my
seabag. It is a 1 liter aluminum mug wrapped
in an insulated heat cosy. Inside itself is
stored a propane/butane mix canister and a
small burner with a bayonette mount which
makes in ultra-compact.

It will boil a cup of water in less than a minute
and two cups in a couple of minutes. It
works so well because it has a heat exchanger
built into the base of the mug. I use it for soup
and tea.

http://jetboil.com/

I store it in an insulated stuff sack designed
for a 1 ltr Naglene bottle. It probably doesn't
need a padded case, but I feel better about
tossing it around with the case on.

Be careful starting it. If you have it wide
open when you click the starter it will briefly
be engulfed in flames--that kind of excitement
you don't need! I just crack the valve slightly
while starting it, and click immediately without
waiting. The valve allows a fine degree of
adjustment so you can dial it down to a
simmer if you like.

I hold it while waiting for the water to boil--it is
that fast. I do not recommend sitting
it down on a boat, the base is too small
and it will fall over. An extra wide base
is offered as an option.

They also sell a hanging kit I thought would
work well hanging from a boom bail. Rather
than buy that I plan to make my own--if I
ever feel the need.

What else?

The mouth is wide enough that you can clean
it easily.

Be aware its fuel that is heavier than air, so use
the proper precautions.

Try one and you will want two so you can
keep a spare in your car along with a water
bottle and a few soup packets. Coffee drinkers
will like the optional French Press. I bought
one of those even though I don't drink coffee.
I can see that it would be nice for those who
have to have coffee to function. I have not
tried that yet on anyone.

You could get a solar stove. Since most small daysailors should be
near a beach.

http://www.surferchef.com/SimpleSolarStove.htm

Safe, clean, small, free unlimited fuel . You could build one too!

Joe

Scott just uses his aluminum hat... :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote:
All true, but I'm not a big fan of open flames on a small, tippy boat.

Wimp.
What about open flames on a BIG tippy boat?

.... You
can use reusable hand-warmers and layers to stay warm.

And if you're still freakin' cold?

Besides, those hand-warmers don't work.

You can have multiple
thermos.

You can, as long as you remember what's in each one. And they still
cool off in a few hours or run out. Not a replacement for a proper
stove.

You can have energy bars.

Those things are fattening.

My last choice would be something I can
knock over that's on fire. :-)

Mine too. That's why I said "a small cruising boat should have a
proper stove."

I have cruised with a fixed wick-type alcohol stove, and a swing-mount
camp style stove. Both can be good and can't be replaced *for
cruising* ....or unintentionally extended daysails in poor conditions
IMHO... by power bars, skier's hand-warmers, or a thermos. Although
any of the latter would be better than nothing.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ps.com...
"Capt. JG" wrote:
All true, but I'm not a big fan of open flames on a small, tippy boat.

Wimp.
What about open flames on a BIG tippy boat?

Heh... I have yet to fire up my Origo
..

.... You
can use reusable hand-warmers and layers to stay warm.

And if you're still freakin' cold?

Besides, those hand-warmers don't work.

I have some that work fine... I forget the brand.. you bend a small piece of
metal in a liquid gel, and they get hot. You boil them to reset them.

You can have multiple
thermos.

You can, as long as you remember what's in each one. And they still
cool off in a few hours or run out. Not a replacement for a proper
stove.

We're talkin labelling...

You can have energy bars.

Those things are fattening.

Fat is good when you're trying to stay warm!

My last choice would be something I can
knock over that's on fire. :-)

Mine too. That's why I said "a small cruising boat should have a
proper stove."

I have cruised with a fixed wick-type alcohol stove, and a swing-mount
camp style stove. Both can be good and can't be replaced *for
cruising* ....or unintentionally extended daysails in poor conditions
IMHO... by power bars, skier's hand-warmers, or a thermos. Although
any of the latter would be better than nothing.

DSK

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Besides, those hand-warmers don't work.

I have some that work fine... I forget the brand.. you bend a small piece of
metal in a liquid gel, and they get hot. You boil them to reset them.

The ones I know about either burn the crap out of you for 2 minutes
and then get cold, or they only get luke warm in the first place.

How long do these ones stay warm, and if it's more than an hour, tell
me the name please.

You can have energy bars.

Those things are fattening.

Fat is good when you're trying to stay warm!

True
But you have to start getting stoked up well ahead of time.... like at
least a few months....

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:52:22 -0700, wrote:

Besides, those hand-warmers don't work.

I have some that work fine... I forget the brand.. you bend a small piece of
metal in a liquid gel, and they get hot. You boil them to reset them.

The ones I know about either burn the crap out of you for 2 minutes
and then get cold, or they only get luke warm in the first place.

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Platinum.../dp/B000CGG5EC

Zippo handwarmers were common years ago, and I had one. They came in
and were kept in a felt pouch, because the metal was a bit too hot.
If I spent enough time outdoors, and my hands got cold, it's what I
would use.
When your hands get cold it usually indicates a core temp or
circulation problem. When I worked outdoors, dressing correctly kept
my hands warm. The handwarmer turned out to be a novelty, and I
only used it a couple times.

--Vic
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...
Besides, those hand-warmers don't work.

I have some that work fine... I forget the brand.. you bend a small piece
of
metal in a liquid gel, and they get hot. You boil them to reset them.

The ones I know about either burn the crap out of you for 2 minutes
and then get cold, or they only get luke warm in the first place.

How long do these ones stay warm, and if it's more than an hour, tell
me the name please.

You can have energy bars.

Those things are fattening.

Fat is good when you're trying to stay warm!

True
But you have to start getting stoked up well ahead of time.... like at
least a few months....

DSK

I can't recall the name of them... I think they're called Heat Bags. They
use sodium acetate I believe. Here's reference.

http://ask.metafilter.com/29546/Heat...w-does-it-work

Next time I get down to the boat, I'll write down the name.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...
Besides, those hand-warmers don't work.

I have some that work fine... I forget the brand.. you bend a small piece
of
metal in a liquid gel, and they get hot. You boil them to reset them.

The ones I know about either burn the crap out of you for 2 minutes
and then get cold, or they only get luke warm in the first place.

How long do these ones stay warm, and if it's more than an hour, tell
me the name please.

You can have energy bars.

Those things are fattening.

Fat is good when you're trying to stay warm!

True
But you have to start getting stoked up well ahead of time.... like at
least a few months....

DSK

Ah... here they are... Amazon and REI

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...ustomerReviews

http://www.rei.com/product/608751

They last a bit under an hour...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

suggestions for a stove? Scout ASA 107 October 15th 06 12:45 AM
cng stove super Cruising 1 April 1st 06 09:06 PM
FS portable woodburning stove John UK Paddle 0 February 22nd 04 07:22 PM
Kenyon stove Alvin North Cruising 28 November 13th 03 02:49 PM
Best Type of Stove Eric Maschke General 7 August 4th 03 07:45 PM