posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Daysailor's Portable Stove -- JetBoil

I often seem to find myself out on the water
and hungry because plans changed or the
wind died. Since I'm often on small daysailers,
this presents a problem.

I've started carrying a personal JetBoil in my
seabag. It is a 1 liter aluminum mug wrapped
in an insulated heat cosy. Inside itself is
stored a propane/butane mix canister and a
small burner with a bayonette mount which
makes in ultra-compact.

It will boil a cup of water in less than a minute
and two cups in a couple of minutes. It
works so well because it has a heat exchanger
built into the base of the mug. I use it for soup
and tea.

http://jetboil.com/

I store it in an insulated stuff sack designed
for a 1 ltr Naglene bottle. It probably doesn't
need a padded case, but I feel better about
tossing it around with the case on.

Be careful starting it. If you have it wide
open when you click the starter it will briefly
be engulfed in flames--that kind of excitement
you don't need! I just crack the valve slightly
while starting it, and click immediately without
waiting. The valve allows a fine degree of
adjustment so you can dial it down to a
simmer if you like.

I hold it while waiting for the water to boil--it is
that fast. I do not recommend sitting
it down on a boat, the base is too small
and it will fall over. An extra wide base
is offered as an option.

They also sell a hanging kit I thought would
work well hanging from a boom bail. Rather
than buy that I plan to make my own--if I
ever feel the need.

What else?

The mouth is wide enough that you can clean
it easily.

Be aware its fuel that is heavier than air, so use
the proper precautions.

Try one and you will want two so you can
keep a spare in your car along with a water
bottle and a few soup packets. Coffee drinkers
will like the optional French Press. I bought
one of those even though I don't drink coffee.
I can see that it would be nice for those who
have to have coffee to function. I have not
tried that yet on anyone.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Or, you could just heat up some hearty soop and put it in a thermos.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 21:59:39 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote this crap:

Or, you could just heat up some hearty soop and put it in a thermos.

That's where I keep my rum.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:
[...]

Wht not just use a thermos? Lots less hassle....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Backpacking equipment is cool. There's tons of small,
lightweight stuff. Can get expensive.

I still have a pair of Sterno cans in my boat as back ups.

Scotty

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:20:25 -0400, katy
wrote this crap:
I bought
one of those even though I don't drink coffee.
I can see that it would be nice for those who
have to have coffee to function. I have not
tried that yet on anyone.

Wht not just use a thermos? Lots less hassle....

That's where you should keep your rum. Mixed with the coffee, of
course.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote
It will boil a cup of water in less than a minute
and two cups in a couple of minutes. It
works so well because it has a heat exchanger
built into the base of the mug. I use it for soup
and tea.

http://jetboil.com/

They also sell a hanging kit I thought would
work well hanging from a boom bail. Rather
than buy that I plan to make my own--if I
ever feel the need.

Would that also work inside from a bracket, like the little "sea-
swing" stoves? Those also work well and are compact.

"Capt. JG" wrote:
Or, you could just heat up some hearty soop and put it in a thermos.

And if you're out long enough that you either run out of soup, or it
gets cold in the thermos.... or you want to heat up something else
like coffee... you're SOL.

A thermos flask is very handy but it does not take the place of a
stove on a small cruising vessel.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote this crap:

I bought

one of those even though I don't drink coffee.
I can see that it would be nice for those who
have to have coffee to function. I have not
tried that yet on anyone.

Wht not just use a thermos? Lots less hassle....

That's where you should keep your rum. Mixed with the coffee, of
course.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

I prefer Bailey's in my coffee....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:07:50 -0400, katy
wrote this crap:

Wht not just use a thermos? Lots less hassle....

That's where you should keep your rum. Mixed with the coffee, of
course.

I prefer Bailey's in my coffee....

Wuss.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ps.com...
"Bart" wrote

"Capt. JG" wrote:
Or, you could just heat up some hearty soop and put it in a thermos.

And if you're out long enough that you either run out of soup, or it
gets cold in the thermos.... or you want to heat up something else
like coffee... you're SOL.

A thermos flask is very handy but it does not take the place of a
stove on a small cruising vessel.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

A daysailor needs a stove?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

suggestions for a stove? Scout ASA 107 October 15th 06 12:45 AM
cng stove super Cruising 1 April 1st 06 09:06 PM
FS portable woodburning stove John UK Paddle 0 February 22nd 04 07:22 PM
Kenyon stove Alvin North Cruising 28 November 13th 03 02:49 PM
Best Type of Stove Eric Maschke General 7 August 4th 03 07:45 PM