posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Daysailor's Portable Stove -- JetBoil

On Sep 23, 9:39 pm, wrote:
A thermos flask is very handy but it does not take the place of a
stove on a small cruising vessel.

"Capt. JG" wrote:
A daysailor needs a stove?

Some do.

If it's a "daysailor" that is likely to be sailed for long hours, in
chilly weather, and/or for more hours and/or with more crew than a
Thermos is likely to take care of.

Please note I said "small cruising vessel."

One factor to bear in mind is that you can warm up the cabin/cuddy
with a small stove, and warm up your hands with it... not something
you can do with a Thermos.... especially an empty one....

DSK

I had an interesting charter today. It was a gorgeous
young girl with an older guy. Pretty soon his camera
came out and he started taking pictures of the
little hottie. She got into it, and I can't blame her.
It was sunny, light winds and perfect for peeling down.
Before long, off came the bikini top, and a half an hour
later off came the thong. I wish I had a few copies of
those pics. She looked like Penelope Cruz.

Later I was asked to run a boat from 6-9pm. I
didn't have my little stove. I'd given my first one to my
Uncle who is driving cross country and ordered
another. I sure wish I had it today. I could have used
it this evening when I started to run out of steam on
another job that I didn't think started until Wednesday.

So for unexpected events, water, some soup mix and
a JetBoil are an unbeatable combo. A Thermos would
have done me no good because it would have been
empty!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

ups.com...

"Capt. JG" wrote:
A daysailor needs a stove?

Some do.

If it's a "daysailor" that is likely to be sailed for long hours, in
chilly weather, and/or for more hours and/or with more crew than a
Thermos is likely to take care of.

Please note I said "small cruising vessel."

One factor to bear in mind is that you can warm up the cabin/cuddy
with a small stove, and warm up your hands with it... not something
you can do with a Thermos.... especially an empty one....

DSK

All true, but I'm not a big fan of open flames on a small, tippy boat. You
can use reusable hand-warmers and layers to stay warm. You can have multiple
thermos. You can have energy bars. My last choice would be something I can
knock over that's on fire. :-) The jetboil doesn't look very stable....

--
"j" ganz

Good point Jon. I've been using protein bars all
year and run out of my favorite kind. They work
great, and store well. No need for a stove at all.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 24, 11:30 am, Frank Boettcher wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:07:50 -0400, katy
wrote:

Bloody Horvath wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:20:25 -0400, katy
wrote this crap:

I bought

one of those even though I don't drink coffee.
I can see that it would be nice for those who
have to have coffee to function. I have not
tried that yet on anyone.

Wht not just use a thermos? Lots less hassle....

That's where you should keep your rum. Mixed with the coffee, of
course.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

I prefer Bailey's in my coffee....

We used to sail from Gulfport harbor to the Broadwater Marina, about
six miles in the dead of the winter just to get an Irish coffee at the
bar. Now we could comfortably drive to the Broadwater, but then what
would be the point?

I back pack with a group and I can tell you that anything that can cut
down the amount of fuel you have to bring on a week long backpacking
trip is going to be a big seller.

Frank

I'm wondering if that mantleless stove will work on
the partially used canisters I have laying around. I
tend to change cans when i think I'm low rather than
carrying a spare. That would be a good way to finish
off the nearly empties.

These things are pretty light Frank. I've heard that when
the fuel starts to run out they don't work as well. This is
not a problem for me in my application. Apparently the
propane in the blend burns off first, then the isobutane
becomes a problem when it is cold and at high altitude.
The issues are starting and keeping it hot and burning.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote this crap:

[...]

Do the same thing with small propane cylinders for my lightweight fish
cooker. Don't want to run out in the middle of the cooking cycle, so
change it out. Always have a few partials around. In the winter I
use them up by hooking them up to my shop heater to take the chill off
the shop. Doesn't take but a few minutes to burn off the balance at
16K btu

These things are pretty light Frank. I've heard that when
the fuel starts to run out they don't work as well. This is
not a problem for me in my application. Apparently the
propane in the blend burns off first, then the isobutane
becomes a problem when it is cold and at high altitude.
The issues are starting and keeping it hot and burning.

I currently use a Peak I multi-fuel. It hs been extraodinarily
reliable and runs hot with good turndown. However, it is a little
heavy and, in the cold weather when doing a lot of hot drinks a tank
of fuel will last at best a day. Requires additional heavy fuel for
multiday trips. So, a lighter, more fuel efficient unit is on the
consideration list, after the lighter bags, water filter, etc........

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:

I had an interesting charter today. It was a gorgeous
young girl with an older guy. Pretty soon his camera
came out and he started taking pictures of the
little hottie. She got into it, and I can't blame her.
It was sunny, light winds and perfect for peeling down.
Before long, off came the bikini top, and a half an hour
later off came the thong. I wish I had a few copies of
those pics. She looked like Penelope Cruz.

And to think..you even got paid!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...

"Capt. JG" wrote:
[...]

I always make sure to bring my cell phone, which has a 2mg camera and video.
You never know. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Bart wrote:

I had an interesting charter today. It was a gorgeous
young girl with an older guy. Pretty soon his camera
came out and he started taking pictures of the
little hottie. She got into it, and I can't blame her.
It was sunny, light winds and perfect for peeling down.
Before long, off came the bikini top, and a half an hour
later off came the thong. I wish I had a few copies of
those pics. She looked like Penelope Cruz.

And to think..you even got paid!

Yeah, but he can't remember how much or in what currency. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:
.... off came the thong. I wish I had a few copies of
those pics. She looked like Penelope Cruz.

Does that make your boat a Cruz-er?

"katysails" wrote

"Capt. JG" wrote:
Yeah, but he can't remember how much or in what currency. :-)

I wonder if the pics are to be published. If so, Bart should claim
residual rights.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote this crap:

[...]

You can pick up these JetBoils for around $70 with shipping
on eBay. I'd like to buy a companion cup w/out the stove
for friends that come out with me. I won't pay more than $20
with shipping for one of those. It may take a while to find
one in my price range. I feel that if I have to pay more
than this, I might as well get a spare stove for backup. It
isn't much more weight and you would have a spare fuel
canister as well.

suggestions for a stove? Scout ASA 107 October 15th 06 12:45 AM
cng stove super Cruising 1 April 1st 06 09:06 PM
FS portable woodburning stove John UK Paddle 0 February 22nd 04 07:22 PM
Kenyon stove Alvin North Cruising 28 November 13th 03 02:49 PM
Best Type of Stove Eric Maschke General 7 August 4th 03 07:45 PM