posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Daysailor's Portable Stove -- JetBoil

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..
Backpacking equipment is cool. There's tons of small,
lightweight stuff. Can get expensive.

I still have a pair of Sterno cans in my boat as back ups.

Scotty

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
I often seem to find myself out on the water
and hungry because plans changed or the
wind died. Since I'm often on small daysailers,
this presents a problem.

I've started carrying a personal JetBoil in my
seabag. It is a 1 liter aluminum mug wrapped
in an insulated heat cosy. Inside itself is
stored a propane/butane mix canister and a
small burner with a bayonette mount which
makes in ultra-compact.

It will boil a cup of water in less than a minute
and two cups in a couple of minutes. It
works so well because it has a heat exchanger
built into the base of the mug. I use it for soup
and tea.

http://jetboil.com/

I store it in an insulated stuff sack designed
for a 1 ltr Naglene bottle. It probably doesn't
need a padded case, but I feel better about
tossing it around with the case on.

Be careful starting it. If you have it wide
open when you click the starter it will briefly
be engulfed in flames--that kind of excitement
you don't need! I just crack the valve slightly
while starting it, and click immediately without
waiting. The valve allows a fine degree of
adjustment so you can dial it down to a
simmer if you like.

I hold it while waiting for the water to boil--it is
that fast. I do not recommend sitting
it down on a boat, the base is too small
and it will fall over. An extra wide base
is offered as an option.

They also sell a hanging kit I thought would
work well hanging from a boom bail. Rather
than buy that I plan to make my own--if I
ever feel the need.

What else?

The mouth is wide enough that you can clean
it easily.

Be aware its fuel that is heavier than air, so use
the proper precautions.

Try one and you will want two so you can
keep a spare in your car along with a water
bottle and a few soup packets. Coffee drinkers
will like the optional French Press. I bought
one of those even though I don't drink coffee.
I can see that it would be nice for those who
have to have coffee to function. I have not
tried that yet on anyone.

Now if we could just get you to not eat the sterno.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

A thermos flask is very handy but it does not take the place of a
stove on a small cruising vessel.

"Capt. JG" wrote:
A daysailor needs a stove?

Some do.

If it's a "daysailor" that is likely to be sailed for long hours, in
chilly weather, and/or for more hours and/or with more crew than a
Thermos is likely to take care of.

Please note I said "small cruising vessel."

One factor to bear in mind is that you can warm up the cabin/cuddy
with a small stove, and warm up your hands with it... not something
you can do with a Thermos.... especially an empty one....

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

ups.com...

"Capt. JG" wrote:
A daysailor needs a stove?

Some do.

If it's a "daysailor" that is likely to be sailed for long hours, in
chilly weather, and/or for more hours and/or with more crew than a
Thermos is likely to take care of.

Please note I said "small cruising vessel."

One factor to bear in mind is that you can warm up the cabin/cuddy
with a small stove, and warm up your hands with it... not something
you can do with a Thermos.... especially an empty one....

DSK

All true, but I'm not a big fan of open flames on a small, tippy boat. You
can use reusable hand-warmers and layers to stay warm. You can have multiple
thermos. You can have energy bars. My last choice would be something I can
knock over that's on fire. :-) The jetboil doesn't look very stable....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:42:56 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote this crap:

All true, but I'm not a big fan of open flames on a small, tippy boat. You
can use reusable hand-warmers and layers to stay warm. You can have multiple
thermos. You can have energy bars. My last choice would be something I can
knock over that's on fire. :-) The jetboil doesn't look very stable....

Wuss. A real man would start a fire in hell.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
wrote in message

ps.com...

A daysailor needs a stove?

most Benny's have stoves.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Now if we could just get you to not eat the sterno.

what do *you* do when the rum bottles are empty?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:07:50 -0400, katy
wrote:

Bloody Horvath wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:20:25 -0400, katy
wrote this crap:

I bought

one of those even though I don't drink coffee.
I can see that it would be nice for those who
have to have coffee to function. I have not
tried that yet on anyone.

Wht not just use a thermos? Lots less hassle....

That's where you should keep your rum. Mixed with the coffee, of
course.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

I prefer Bailey's in my coffee....

We used to sail from Gulfport harbor to the Broadwater Marina, about
six miles in the dead of the winter just to get an Irish coffee at the
bar. Now we could comfortably drive to the Broadwater, but then what
would be the point?

I back pack with a group and I can tell you that anything that can cut
down the amount of fuel you have to bring on a week long backpacking
trip is going to be a big seller.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote this crap:

I bought

one of those even though I don't drink coffee.
I can see that it would be nice for those who
have to have coffee to function. I have not
tried that yet on anyone.

Wht not just use a thermos? Lots less hassle....

That's where you should keep your rum. Mixed with the coffee, of
course.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

I prefer Bailey's in my coffee....

We used to sail from Gulfport harbor to the Broadwater Marina, about
six miles in the dead of the winter just to get an Irish coffee at the
bar. Now we could comfortably drive to the Broadwater, but then what
would be the point?

Sounds like a good excuse to go sailing to me...

I back pack with a group and I can tell you that anything that can cut
down the amount of fuel you have to bring on a week long backpacking
trip is going to be a big seller.

Matches and propane BBQ torch....we usaed to make little homemade strno
things in Girl Scouts where you took a tunafish can, rolled up a strip
of currogated cardboard inside to fit so it was a coil and fill with
parafin...I can't remember if we used something for a wick or not..we
used to actually cook on those things!

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 22, 11:01 pm, Bart wrote:
[...]

You could get a solar stove. Since most small daysailors should be
near a beach.

http://www.surferchef.com/SimpleSolarStove.htm

Safe, clean, small, free unlimited fuel . You could build one too!

Joe

suggestions for a stove? Scout ASA 107 October 15th 06 12:45 AM
cng stove super Cruising 1 April 1st 06 09:06 PM
FS portable woodburning stove John UK Paddle 0 February 22nd 04 07:22 PM
Kenyon stove Alvin North Cruising 28 November 13th 03 02:49 PM
Best Type of Stove Eric Maschke General 7 August 4th 03 07:45 PM