posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Who are you going to listen to??

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..
Did your family have a bomb shelter in the 50s?

Capt SV

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
t...
Popular notions are ALWAYS wrong. If you don't know that,

then you've
haven't studied history and you're to young to have

learned it from
experience. Hardly a century goes by without doomsday

predictions becoming
popular notions. I lived through the global cooling

hysteria of the 70's, so
please spare me the ignorant ranting of the true

believers.

Someday the earth may cool to absolute zero or heat to a

million degrees. I
don't know. All anybody "knows" is what they think the

historical record
shows: that the earth gets really cold and the earth gets

really hot.

The rest is the clucking of hens.

--
jlrogers±³©

Funny you should ask. In '63 my father built an underground house with
5,000 square feet. The roof of the house was 16 feet underground. It was
such a hit they had to move out and open it to the public for a year, just
to let the hoopla die down so they could move back in without the doorbell
ringing constantly. The house was featured in Life magazine and Walter
Cronkite had a segment called "Tu Tu's Tour of the Underground House." Tu
Tu was an 75 pound Chow Chow who loved cameras, posing if you just held your
hands to your face while saying "Smile." It was such a hit, my Dad built
one for the World's Fair in New York. Made the Wall Street Journal and
hundreds of papers across the country.

--
jlrogers±³©

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
t...

Popular notions are ALWAYS wrong. If you don't know that,

then you've

haven't studied history and you're to young to have

learned it from

experience. Hardly a century goes by without doomsday

predictions becoming

popular notions. I lived through the global cooling

hysteria of the 70's, so

please spare me the ignorant ranting of the true

believers.

Someday the earth may cool to absolute zero or heat to a

million degrees. I

don't know. All anybody "knows" is what they think the

historical record

shows: that the earth gets really cold and the earth gets

really hot.

The rest is the clucking of hens.

--
jlrogers±³©

My Dad was a CD guy...we had a geiger counter..it was cool!

We had one too! I actually bought it when I was a kid.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
t...
Popular notions are ALWAYS wrong. If you don't know that, then you've
haven't studied history and you're to young to have learned it from
experience. Hardly a century goes by without doomsday predictions
becoming popular notions. I lived through the global cooling hysteria of
the 70's, so please spare me the ignorant ranting of the true believers.

Someday the earth may cool to absolute zero or heat to a million
degrees. I don't know. All anybody "knows" is what they think the
historical record shows: that the earth gets really cold and the earth
gets really hot.

The rest is the clucking of hens.

--
jlrogers±³©

Well, what you said is certainly a popular notion.

Not half as popular as the sky-is-falling, global warming buzz phrases.

Max

Yeah, the truth is sometimes, though not often, popular.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" w@u wrote:
Did your family have a bomb shelter in the 50s?

No, but we should have. The fact that the U.S. never actually got atom-
bombed doesn't mean that the risk wasn't very real.

I would agree that much of the "public debate" and pop-culture
imaginings about global warming are wrong; but what is even dumber is
the arrogant notion that mankind has burned hunreds of millions of
tons of oil.... how many hundred trillion BTUs worth? ....and that
energy supposedly just vanished with no effect.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net..
..

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..
Did your family have a bomb shelter in the 50s?

Capt SV

Did yours?

(I'll bet the water in those sealed containers is pretty

stagnant by now.)

We add chlorine pills every two years.

Capt SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

jlrogers±³© wrote:
"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..

Did your family have a bomb shelter in the 50s?

Capt SV

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

So you're a troll?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:27:12 -0500, "Scotty" w@u wrote:

Did your family have a bomb shelter in the 50s?

Capt SV

snippity-snip

We didn't need no steenk'n Bomb Shelter. )
Wouldn't be much point for us. My dad was in the Air Force and we
lived about 1 mile from SAC Headquarters in Omaha.
SAC= Stratigic Air Comand. (You know, the nuclear bomb delivery
people.)
Mark E. Williams
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
[...]

Kewl. I bought one of those CD Geiger counters, a reconditioned and tested
one, almost new in the box, a while back. Loads of fun, but so far not a
lot of radioactivity around to discover. Guess I'll have to wait until
Ahmadinijad does some atmospheric testing.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net..
.

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..
Did your family have a bomb shelter in the 50s?

Capt SV

Did yours?

(I'll bet the water in those sealed containers is pretty

stagnant by now.)

We add chlorine pills every two years.

Might want to throw out those 1965 canned beans, though.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Maxprop wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Scotty wrote:

Did your family have a bomb shelter in the 50s?

Capt SV

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
.net...

[...]

You can test smoke alarms...

Who are you gonna listen to? Ellen MacArthur ASA 297 February 10th 07 05:50 AM
Joe...Listen Up.... katy ASA 7 April 18th 06 01:34 AM
Listen to VHF prior to departu [email protected] General 8 October 8th 05 04:34 PM
The dictator has spoken, but do we listen? I don't think so! Arnold Sass ASA 2 September 14th 03 10:09 PM
Listen to the GOLD CUP - on the Net BK Power Boat Racing 0 August 23rd 03 04:32 PM