posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Who are you gonna listen to?

Are you gonna listen to LSD 10X popping flashback people like Capt. JG or scientests with real
credentials? Like this guy?

Global Warming: The Cold, Hard Facts?

By Timothy Ball
Monday, February 5, 2007

Global Warming, as we think we know it, doesn't exist. And I am not the only one trying to
make people open up their eyes and see the truth. But few listen, despite the fact that I was
the first Canadian Ph.D. in Climatology and I have an extensive background in climatology,
especially the reconstruction of past climates and the impact of climate change on human
history and the human condition."Few listen, even though I have a Ph.D, (Doctor of Science)
from the University of London, England and was a climatology professor at the University of
Winnipeg." . For some reason (actually for many), the World is not listening. Here is why.

What would happen if tomorrow we were told that, after all, the Earth is flat? It would
probably be the most important piece of news in the media and would generate a lot of debate.
So why is it that when scientists who have studied the Global Warming phenomenon for years
say that humans are not the cause nobody listens? Why does no one acknowledge that the
Emperor has no clothes on?

Believe it or not, Global Warming is not due to human contribution of Carbon Dioxide (CO2).
This in fact is the greatest deception in the history of science. We are wasting time, energy
and trillions of dollars while creating unnecessary fear and consternation over an issue with
no scientific justification. For example, Environment Canada brags about spending $3.7 billion
in the last five years dealing with climate change almost all on propaganda trying to defend an
indefensible scientific position while at the same time closing weather stations and failing to
meet legislated pollution targets.

No sensible person seeks conflict, especially with governments, but if we don't pursue the
truth, we are lost as individuals and as a society. That is why I insist on saying that there is no
evidence that we are, or could ever cause global climate change. And, recently, Yuri A. Izrael,
Vice President of the United Nations sponsored Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(IPCC) confirmed this statement. So how has the world come to believe that something is wrong?

Maybe for the same reason we believed, 30 years ago, that global cooling was the biggest threat:
a matter of faith. "It is a cold fact: the Global Cooling presents humankind with the most important
social, political, and adaptive challenge we have had to deal with for ten thousand years. Your
stake in the decisions we make concerning it is of ultimate importance; the survival of ourselves,
our children, our species," wrote Lowell Ponte in 1976.

I was as opposed to the threats of impending doom global cooling engendered as I am to the threats
made about Global Warming. Let me stress I am not denying the phenomenon has occurred. The
world has warmed since 1680, the nadir of a cool period called the Little Ice Age (LIA) that has
generally continued to the present. These climate changes are well within natural variability and
explained quite easily by changes in the sun. But there is nothing unusual going on.

Since I obtained my doctorate in climatology from the University of London, Queen Mary College,
England my career has spanned two climate cycles. Temperatures declined from 1940 to 1980 and
in the early 1970's global cooling became the consensus. This proves that consensus is not a scientific
fact. By the 1990's temperatures appeared to have reversed and Global Warming became the consensus.
It appears I'll witness another cycle before retiring, as the major mechanisms and the global
temperature trends now indicate a cooling.

No doubt passive acceptance yields less stress, fewer personal attacks and makes career progress
easier. What I have experienced in my personal life during the last years makes me understand why
most people choose not to speak out; job security and fear of reprisals. Even in University, where
free speech and challenge to prevailing wisdoms are supposedly encouraged, academics remain silent.

I once received a three page letter that my lawyer defined as libellous, from an academic colleague,
saying I had no right to say what I was saying, especially in public lectures. Sadly, my experience is
that universities are the most dogmatic and oppressive places in our society. This becomes progressively
worse as they receive more and more funding from governments that demand a particular viewpoint.

In another instance, I was accused by Canadian environmentalist David Suzuki of being paid by oil
companies. That is a lie. Apparently he thinks if the fossil fuel companies pay you have an agenda.
So if Greenpeace, Sierra Club or governments pay there is no agenda and only truth and enlightenment?
Personal attacks are difficult and shouldn't occur in a debate in a civilized society. I can only consider
them from what they imply. They usually indicate a person or group is losing the debate. In this case,
they also indicate how political the entire Global Warming debate has become. Both underline the lack
of or even contradictory nature of the evidence.

I am not alone in this journey against the prevalent myth. Several well-known names have also raised
their voices. Michael Crichton, the scientist, writer and filmmaker is one of them. In his latest book,
"State of Fear" he takes time to explain, often in surprising detail, the flawed science behind Global
Warming and other imagined environmental crises. Another cry in the wildenerness is Richard Lindzen's.
He is an atmospheric physicist and a professor of meteorology at MIT, renowned for his research in
dynamic meteorology - especially atmospheric waves. He is also a member of the National Academy of
Sciences and has held positions at the University of Chicago, Harvard University and MIT. Linzen
frequently speaks out against the notion that significant Global Warming is caused by humans. Yet
nobody seems to listen.

I think it may be because most people don't understand the scientific method which Thomas Kuhn so
skilfully and briefly set out in his book "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions." A scientist makes
certain assumptions and then produces a theory which is only as valid as the assumptions. The theory
of Global Warming assumes that CO2 is an atmospheric greenhouse gas and as it increases temperatures
rise. It was then theorized that since humans were producing more CO2 than before, the temperature
would inevitably rise. The theory was accepted before testing had started, and effectively became a law.

As Lindzen said many years ago: "the consensus was reached before the research had even begun."
Now, any scientist who dares to question the prevailing wisdom is marginalized and called a sceptic,
when in fact they are simply being good scientists. This has reached frightening levels with these
scientists now being called climate change denier with all the holocaust connotations of that word.
The normal scientific method is effectively being thwarted.

Meanwhile, politicians are being listened to, even though most of them have no knowledge or
understanding of science, especially the science of climate and climate change. Hence, they are
in no position to question a policy on climate change when it threatens the entire planet. Moreover,
using fear and creating hysteria makes it very difficult to make calm rational decisions about issues
needing attention.

Until you have challenged the prevailing wisdom you have no idea how nasty people can be. Until
you have re-examined any issue in an attempt to find out all the information, you cannot know how
much misinformation exists in the supposed age of information. I was greatly influenced several
years ago by Aaron Wildavsky's book "Yes, but is it true?" The author taught political science at a
New York University and realized how science was being influenced by and apparently misused by
politics. He gave his graduate students an assignment to pursue the science behind a policy generated
by a highly publicised environmental concern. To his and their surprise they found there was little
scientific evidence, consensus and justification for the policy. You only realize the extent to which
Wildavsky's findings occur when you ask the question he posed. Wildavsky's students did it in the
safety of academia and with the excuse that it was an assignment. I have learned it is a difficult
question to ask in the real world, however I firmly believe it is the most important question to ask
if we are to advance in the right direction.

Dr. Tim Ball, Chairman of the Natural Resources Stewardship Project (www.nrsp.com), is a
Victoria-based environmental consultant and former climatology professor at the University of
Winnipeg. He can be reached at

Monday, February 5, 2007

Global Warming, as we think we know it, doesn't exist. And I am not the
only one trying to

monster clip

question to ask in the real world, however I firmly believe it is the most
important question to ask
if we are to advance in the right direction.

Dr. Tim Ball, Chairman of the Natural Resources Stewardship Project
(www.nrsp.com), is a
Victoria-based environmental consultant and former climatology professor
at the University of
Winnipeg. He can be reached at

The only thing that is absolute about global warming is that it is making
some folks rich. The leaders of anti-greenhouse gas organizations, the
scientists gobbling up federal grant money for research on gw, guys like Al
Gore, who write and publish books on the subject and get movies made based
upon their books, etc., are making money way faster than the Earth's
temperature is rising.

Global warming = big bucks.

Max

Monday, February 5, 2007

[...]

All boils down to politics is big bucks...akin to what's going on in
Texas with the mandatory inoculation of little girls with an agent that
is just recently on the market and hasn't been tested by time yet. ANd
then we find that the press secretary or whatever of the governor of TX
is a former lobbyist for Merck Labs, which produces the vaccine a the
cost of hundreds per girl....politicians and science are like oil and
water...they should be kept in separate containers...

Monday, February 5, 2007

[...]

Global environmental change for the worse is happening because human beings
are so shortsighted as to ignore their own long-term best interests.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Monday, February 5, 2007

[...]

My understanding is that parents can opt their daughters out if they decide
it is either morally objectionable or against their religion. So, what's
wrong with the requirement to have young girls vaccinated against a deadly
disease?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 22:23:14 -0500, "Ellen MacArthur"
wrote:

Are you gonna listen to LSD 10X popping flashback people like Capt. JG or scientests with real
credentials? Like this guy?

http://www.desmogblog.com/tiim-ball-...johnson-update

50. The Defendants (the Calgary Herald) state that the Plaintiff
(Ball) never held a reputation in the scientific community as a noted
climatologist and authority on global warming. The particulars of the
Plaintiff's reputation are as follows:

(a) The Plaintiff has never published any research in any
peer-reviewed scientific journal which addressed the topic of human
contributions to greenhouse gas emissions and global warming;

(b) The Plaintiff has published no papers on climatology in
academically recognized peer-reviewed scientific journals since his
retirement as a Professor in 1996;

(c) The Plaintiff's credentials and credibility as an expert on the
issue of global warming have been repeatedly disparaged in the media;
and

(d) The Plaintiff is viewed as a paid promoter of the agenda of the
oil and gas industry rather than as a practicing scientist.

Timothy F. Ball (Tim Ball)
Inflates credentials
http://www.desmogblog.com/timothy-f-ball-tim-ball

Ball and the oil industry

Ball is listed as a "consultant" of a Calgary-based global warming
skeptic organization called the "Friends of Science" (FOS). In a
January 28, 2007 article in the Toronto Star, the President of the FOS
admitted that about one-third of the funding for the FOS is provided
by the oil industry. In an August, '06 Globe and Mail feature, the FOS
was exposed as being funded in part by the oil and gas sector and
hiding the fact that they were. According to the Globe and Mail, the
oil industry money was funneled through the Calgary Foundation
charity, to the University of Calgary and then put into an education
trust for the FOS.

Ball inflates credentials

Ball and organizations he is affiliated with have repeatedly made the
claim that he is the "first Canadian PhD in climatology." Even
further, Ball once claimed he was "one of the first climatology PhD's
in the world." As many people have pointed out, there have been many
PhD's in the field prior to Ball.

Ball and the NRSP
Ball is listed as an "Executive" for a Canadian group called the
"Natural Resource Stewardship Project," (NRSP) a lobby organization
that refuses to disclose it's funding sources. The NRSP is led by
executive director Tom Harris and Dr. Tim Ball. An Oct. 16, 2006
CanWest Global news article on who funds the NRSP, it states that "a
confidentiality agreement doesn't allow him [Tom Harris] to say
whether energy companies are funding his group."

Ball's research history

Ball retired from the University of Winnipeg in 1996 and a search of
22,000 academic journals shows that, over the course of his career,
Ball has published 4 pieces of original research in a peer-reviewed
journal on the subject of climate change Ball has not published any
new research in the last 11 years.

Monday, February 5, 2007

Global Warming, as we think we know it, doesn't exist. And I am not the only one trying to
make people open up their eyes and see the truth. But few listen, despite the fact that I was
the first Canadian Ph.D. in Climatology and I have an extensive background in climatology,
especially the reconstruction of past climates and the impact of climate change on human
history and the human condition."Few listen, even though I have a Ph.D, (Doctor of Science)
from the University of London, England and was a climatology professor at the University of
Winnipeg." . For some reason (actually for many), the World is not listening.

Here is why.

Dr. Tim Ball: The Lie that Just Won't Die
5 Feb 07

The deathless and - in many specific respects - completely fictional
meanderings of Dr. Tim Ball have begun appearing again on right-wing
blogs all over the net. At City Troll, at Convenient Untruth and at
New Orleans Lady, the same tired and retreaded old climate rant paints
Dr. Ball as the courageous victim of a plot to silence a well-meaning
skeptic.

But Ball can't even tell the truth about his own resume. His claim to
be the first Climatology Ph.D. in Canada is a total falsehood; his
degree was in historical geography - not climatology - and it was
nowhere near the first ever granted to someone writing vaguely in the
field.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
"Maxprop" wrote in message
hlink.net...

dfreenews.net...

Monday, February 5, 2007

[...]

No...humans are so short sighted that they ignore the fact that they
cannot control Mother nature and that the earth is not static and
changes constatly...the next "theiry" will be that we are somehow
responsible for the cooling of the sun.

Monday, February 5, 2007

[...]

The vaccine is unproven. You don't remember thalidomide? We are still
investigating the possibilities that MMR vaccines are respinsible for
the rise in autism. And once again, we're talking about legislation
about a sexualy transmitted condition. No sex...no cancer. Ny the time
the current crop of 11-15 year old are 18, there will be some time to
sit back and see what the actual results are from those who vilunteer to
take the risk.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message

No...humans are so short sighted that they ignore the fact

that they
cannot control Mother nature and that the earth is not

static and
changes constatly...the next "theiry" will be that we are

somehow
responsible for the cooling of the sun.

We are, it's all those solar panels using up the sun.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

No...humans are so short sighted that they ignore the fact

that they

cannot control Mother nature and that the earth is not

static and

changes constatly...the next "theiry" will be that we are

somehow

responsible for the cooling of the sun.

We are, it's all those solar panels using up the sun.

Scotty

And here I thought it was mirror windowed buildings reflecting it backa
nd burning it out...