posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Cell phones at sea

Because it's obsessive..if you're that aftaid something's going to
happen, then do don't him sailing....

Almost every boat I know of carries a cell phone (because everyone has
one these days), a handheld and a fixed radio. So all I carry that's
"extra" is the spare radio and emergency antennas. I've acquired a few
radios over the last few years, so keeping a spare on board with a
little rollup antenna is not exactly panic in the wings, Katy. The FRS
radios are for fun, in case you thought anyone was going to call for
help on them.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Because it's obsessive..if you're that aftaid something's going to
happen, then do don't him sailing....

Almost every boat I know of carries a cell phone (because everyone has
one these days), a handheld and a fixed radio. So all I carry that's
"extra" is the spare radio and emergency antennas. I've acquired a few
radios over the last few years, so keeping a spare on board with a
little rollup antenna is not exactly panic in the wings, Katy. The FRS
radios are for fun, in case you thought anyone was going to call for
help on them.

How about SSB, Bubbles? You could contact someone in Kenya if the little
guy needs a diaper change.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

How about SSB, Bubbles? You could contact someone in Kenya if the
little
guy needs a diaper change.

If our cruising range extends next year, and that's our plan, an SSB is
more cheap safety gear worth buying and fun as well.
Scotty is busy crying over this stuff because he can't afford it.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

If our cruising range extends next year..."

Yep... no doubt about it... "HF" capability would be most desirable
if cruising off shore any considerable distances.

Needless to say... a communication system linked to satellite would
also be nice... but very expensive for the average cruiser.

73

Bill aka N6TGC

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Lady Pilot

wrote:

If our cruising range extends next year..."

Yep... no doubt about it... "HF" capability would be most desirable
if cruising off shore any considerable distances.

Needless to say... a communication system linked to satellite would
also be nice... but very expensive for the average cruiser.

73

Bill aka N6TGC

Is that your tail number, Bill? If so, what kind/type of aircraft do you
fly?

LP

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bill aka N6TGC

Is that your tail number, Bill? If so, what kind/type of aircraft

do you fly?

No it isn't... LP.

It's my F.C.C. amateur radio license call sign. I understand
your inquiry though... now that I think about it... a lot of U.S.
aircraft have that N6 prefix as well. :-)

In amateur radio... the alpha/numeric prefix is a geographical de-
signator indicating your base of operation. N6 is California... a KH6
would be Hawaii... so on and so forth. Don't know if this is the case
with aircraft though.

Best regards

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bill aka N6TGC

Is that your tail number, Bill? If so, what kind/type of aircraft

do you fly?

No it isn't... LP.

It's my F.C.C. amateur radio license call sign. I understand
your inquiry though... now that I think about it... a lot of U.S.
aircraft have that N6 prefix as well. :-)

In amateur radio... the alpha/numeric prefix is a geographical de-
signator indicating your base of operation. N6 is California... a KH6
would be Hawaii... so on and so forth.

That used to be the case, but with the vanity call sign program, anyone can
have any prefix anywhere now.

Don't know if this is the case
with aircraft though.

It isn't. US aircraft have 'N numbers', generally an N followed by four
numbers and a letter, or five numbers. Of course the vanity N numbers are
everywhere these days as well. For example, John Doe might have N44JD on
his Pitts Special.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Lady Pilot

wrote:
Bill aka N6TGC

Is that your tail number, Bill? If so, what kind/type of aircraft

do you fly?

No it isn't... LP.

It's my F.C.C. amateur radio license call sign. I understand
your inquiry though... now that I think about it... a lot of U.S.
aircraft have that N6 prefix as well. :-)

Well, they are prefixed with an N-etc. I had an Aerostar that was N601DP.
Canada uses C-etc, Bahamas uses C6-etc, Ireland uses EI-etc, Great Britian
uses G-etc.

The US numbers started out years ago using N- and 4 numbers and one letter
at the end. Now just about anything goes. I used to use the data base at
the FAA to pick vanity number for friends aircraft.

I had to get an FCC license years ago, but I think they gave me the same
number as the first aircraft I had. I don't remember now. I don't
understand why I ever spent the time to file the green paperwork. No one
ever asked me for it.

In amateur radio... the alpha/numeric prefix is a geographical de-
signator indicating your base of operation. N6 is California... a KH6
would be Hawaii... so on and so forth. Don't know if this is the case
with aircraft though.

Thanks for the info. I've never been "into" amateur radio.

LP

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I'd suggest both an SSB (including transmit) and a sat phone if you go
offshore.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
How about SSB, Bubbles? You could contact someone in Kenya if the
little
guy needs a diaper change.

If our cruising range extends next year, and that's our plan, an SSB is
more cheap safety gear worth buying and fun as well.
Scotty is busy crying over this stuff because he can't afford it.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I'd suggest both an SSB (including transmit) and a sat phone if you go
offshore.

For Bubbles, I'd suggest tickets on the Princess Cruise Line.

Max