posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Cell phones at sea

So, Jonathan, I'm carrying a spare fixed radio because I have it, and
the same goes for the antennas...one is a little rail mount and the
other is a rollup that goes right on the back of the radio. If they
were taking up any kind of space or were in the way, I guess I'd leave
them home. But we have more space than we know what to with. Maybe
we'll lose our rig and the handheld will fail...I don't see a reason
NOT to carry it any more than I see a reason not to carry a few extra
life jackets and flares. Doesn't hurt...might help.
In the world of Katy and Scotty this is crazy behavior. Fine by me!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I'd suggest both an SSB (including transmit) and a sat phone if you go
offshore.

For Bubbles, I'd suggest tickets on the Princess Cruise Line.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Our boat came with an ICOM 601 ham radio, which includes the marine SSB

freqs. as well, plus an insulated backstay and an automatic electronic
antenna tuner.

That sounds like a lot of fun. I did look into that for a while, but
then we knew we'd be changing boats. I'll look into it again for the
2007 season. This season will be very local and light with Thomas, my
book project and Suzanne's new RN position.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

It's not excessive, certainly. I like to carry what I need, including a
backup, but we did have 5 gps' plus the boat gps last time we took a long
cruise.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
So, Jonathan, I'm carrying a spare fixed radio because I have it, and
the same goes for the antennas...one is a little rail mount and the
other is a rollup that goes right on the back of the radio. If they
were taking up any kind of space or were in the way, I guess I'd leave
them home. But we have more space than we know what to with. Maybe
we'll lose our rig and the handheld will fail...I don't see a reason
NOT to carry it any more than I see a reason not to carry a few extra
life jackets and flares. Doesn't hurt...might help.
In the world of Katy and Scotty this is crazy behavior. Fine by me!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

It's not excessive, certainly. I like to carry what I need, including a

backup, but we did have 5 gps' plus the boat gps last time we took a
long
cruise.

We'll probably never need the extra radio. On the other hand on the C&C
the Raytheon died during a long weekend and it was nice to be able to
quickly install the backup. The Beneteau came with a Uniden with the
wireless WHAM mike. I consider Uniden stuff okay at best. If I don't
like it the Icom will take it's place and the Uniden will end up as
backup. I just gave away my Icom M1v handheld and will replace that in
a few weeks...not sure with what.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Capt. Rob wrote:
So, Jonathan, I'm carrying a spare fixed radio because I have it, and
the same goes for the antennas...one is a little rail mount and the
other is a rollup that goes right on the back of the radio. If they
were taking up any kind of space or were in the way, I guess I'd leave
them home. But we have more space than we know what to with. Maybe
we'll lose our rig and the handheld will fail...I don't see a reason
NOT to carry it any more than I see a reason not to carry a few extra
life jackets and flares. Doesn't hurt...might help.
In the world of Katy and Scotty this is crazy behavior. Fine by me!

RB
35s5
NY

Defensive attitude there, Robbie...you can stuff your boat full of
as much stuff as you want...
for that matter, why not install a deep freeze and an automatic
washer and dryer? That way
you'll be prepared for every contingency.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

for that matter, why not install a deep freeze and an automatic
washer and dryer? That way

Sorry, Katy. You and Scotty simply sound foolish carrying on about an
extra radio and two antennas....as if that's a LOT of gear. My 35s5 has
a fairly modest electronics pack...tridata, ST400 AP, the stuff you
find on most boats. I have no microwave and the propane oven is
shutdown for good, until I decide it's worth coverting to CNG. I'm
adding a GPS. I probably won't install the Raytheon radar this season,
which was given to me. Oh...and I have a fireboy system for the engine
and a CM detector...I guess those are also not worth carrying, right
Katy?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

What?! No EPIRB?

I have two Epirbs in my closet. One is new in the box, an ACR 406 that
will probably go on ebay soon.

RB
35s5
NY

[...]