posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Default Cell phones at sea

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. Rob" wrote
. . . the propane oven is shutdown for good,
until I decide it's worth coverting to CNG.

Why no propane? It has 2.5 x more btu's than nat gas (per cu

ft)!
Hank Hill

Paranoia!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
...and he can always plug in the electric cord on his crock

pot....

How right you are. Our stove has an electric option and we'll

use that
when plugged in at the slip or other marinas.

What exactly do you mean by "when?"

24/7

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

when plugged in at the slip or other marinas.

What exactly do you mean by "when?"

Scotty makes a good point. In our last summer with Alien, we visited 3
marinas on just one 3 day sail....Centreport, Norwalk and Port Jeff. So
the electric cooker can make a lot of sense even for a local sailor.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why no propane? It has 2.5 x more btu's than nat gas (per cu

ft)!
Hank Hill

There's been a quiet and quick switch to CNG here in my area.

Without
exception, everyone I know and many of the boats I see have

abandoned
the less safe propane.

CNG, phttttttt.... must you always jump on the bandwagon?

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Swab Rob" wrote ...
when plugged in at the slip or other marinas.

What exactly do you mean by "when?"

Scotty makes a good point.

Yes, I usually do, butt you're replying to Maxprop.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Why not a big spool of wire so you can have hard wired land communication
too?

If something medical goes wrong it's up to you to fix it immediately,
waiting for help someone can die.

Amen!

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
So, Jonathan, I'm carrying a spare fixed radio because I have it, and
the same goes for the antennas...one is a little rail mount and the
other is a rollup that goes right on the back of the radio. If they
were taking up any kind of space or were in the way, I guess I'd leave
them home. But we have more space than we know what to with. Maybe
we'll lose our rig and the handheld will fail...I don't see a reason
NOT to carry it any more than I see a reason not to carry a few extra
life jackets and flares. Doesn't hurt...might help.
In the world of Katy and Scotty this is crazy behavior. Fine by me!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

What about enough orange dye to stain the entire LIS?

Flare guns powerful enough to escape earth's gravity!

Bwaahahahaa!!

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
What?! No EPIRB?

I have two Epirbs in my closet. One is new in the box, an ACR 406 that
will probably go on ebay soon.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

It's not just the radios, Robbie...it's the whole shebang...the
whole glut of existence you've jam packed on that boat...

"Capt" Rob wrote:
Katie, I think you're making things up.

Of course she is. Just following your example.

BTW why aren't you out sailing?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Sounds like Robbie has a medical condition that can go haywire at any
moment. Taking a kid out alone with RB's medical problems isn't exactly
brilliant.

Why is he putting his child at risk?

Amen!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Capt. Rob wrote:
It's not just the radios, Robbie...it's the whole shebang...the
whole glut of existence you've jam packed on that boat...

Katie, I think you're making things up. Outside of a small 200 dollar
flat screen DVD player from Costco, what do you imagine we're carrying?
Our stereo is no larger (and probably lighter) than most. The speakers
are smaller than most (but better quality). And there's just nothing
else on board. No Playstations, no trainsets. We don't have radar
installed or a color fishfinder or even a coffee machine.
Do you have a stereo on board? You have this illusion that there's a
home theatre on my boats, but do you look at the pics? All we had on
Ghost and Alien were car based CD players and a portable TV with a 9
inch screen...pretty much what you'd find on most boats, Katy.
As for Thomas....he got a lot of toys for Xmas and almost all are
packedc away, opened slowly, one at a time over the weeks. And only a
few toys are out at a time as well. His TV time is very limited...his
music time is also limited. His social time is mostly unlimited.

RB
35s5
NY

Do not limit his music rime. He needs that to devlop mathematical
ability...syudies show that kids exposed to good music (we're not
speaking Metallica here) do much better in school....