posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Hi! I'm back!

Welcomer back Katy. You didn't miss ANYTHING.

It is far better to meet real people, than to dance with
sock puppets.

wrote

Hey, everyone. You have all sure been busy posting away here while I was
incommunicado. We finally got phone service established here on our boat,
so I'm back to normal emailing. Oh, yeah...I forgot to mention...we are
now
living aboard Chanteuse, escaping the cold winter up in MI (they've
already
had 6 inches of snow and expect 6" nore tonight...too bad, so sad). Right
now we're in the Pamlico Sound area (some of you know where exactly...).
We're just taking life esasy for right now and staying away from going out
into the Atlantic....the weather off Cape Hatteras to Cape Fear is
frightening....45-50 knots with 20 foot waves. Not what I want my first
encounter with the Atlantic to be! We've met a bunch of lovely people,
including one Doug and Kathy King, who are great folks, interesting to
talk
to, and enjoyable to be with. Have also met some friends of Michael
Ortin's
(Schoonertrash) who sail in this area who are very pleasant people too.
Chopper likes living aboard except that we're always having to ask him to
move since the aft cabin has become the closet/storage area. He was a bit
put out at first that we had usurped "his" room for such mundane stuff as
the printer, clothes, and accesoroes. We are now official liveabords
since
we installed the requisite blue tarp over our boom when we had a downpour
yesterday...sure makes a difference not having the rain come pouring down
the hatch. We're also shopping for a new mainsail before taking off to do
any serious cruising. Haven't decided whether we're going to go north or
south yet. Plenty of time to decide that later. For right now, we like
it
here and there's lots to explore and lots of places to sail to in the
vicinity. I brought my fishing gear with me and on a warmer day will go
out
to the beach to surf fish. I caught a 1.5# crappe off the dock the other
day and cooked it up for dinner. So, that's where I've been and
am....good
to be back.

katy

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

"Capt.Mooron" wrote
Hi Kitty....

wrote in message
We're just taking life esasy for right now and staying away from going
out
into the Atlantic....the weather off Cape Hatteras to Cape Fear is
frightening....45-50 knots with 20 foot waves. Not what I want my first
encounter with the Atlantic to be!

Oh come on now.... come up here and we'll do some of that weather in
Overproof..... it's a sail in serenity. We won't even take green water in
those conditions.

Weather forecasters are predicting steep breaking
waves in the Gulf Stream and roll-over conditions
for boats under 40'.

One friend of mine has been waiting for a weather
window for weeks and plans to leave Saturday.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katysails

"DSK" wrote in message
Hey, everyone. You have all sure been busy posting away here while I

was
incommunicado. We finally got phone service established here on our

boat,
so I'm back to normal emailing. Oh, yeah...I forgot to mention...we are

now
living aboard Chanteuse, escaping the cold winter up in MI (they've

already
had 6 inches of snow and expect 6" nore tonight...too bad, so sad).

Wait until the river freezes over... well, that doesn't
happen *every* year so maybe it won't...

I've been told by reliable sources that that does not ever happen....I did
hera, though, taht it takes 3 glowplugs yo get your tug moving...

We're just taking life esasy for right now and staying away from going

out
into the Atlantic....the weather off Cape Hatteras to Cape Fear is
frightening....45-50 knots with 20 foot waves. Not what I want my first
encounter with the Atlantic to be!

That's because you're a bunch of fin-keel pansies! Capt
Mooron would be ashamed of you!

Undountably....he's probablt gasping at the fact I would leave the frigid
wasteland in the North which he loves so well (so much for the Congo running
through his veins...)

... We've met a bunch of lovely people,
including one Doug and Kathy King, who are great folks, interesting to

talk
to, and enjoyable to be with.

True.

She forgot to mention that we look like movie stars and are
incredibly modest.

There is a slight resemblance to Bela Lugosi when you think about it....

... We are now official liveabords since
we installed the requisite blue tarp over our boom when we had a

downpour
yesterday...sure makes a difference not having the rain come pouring

down
the hatch.

Blue tarp, check. Now you have to put a hibachi on the dock
before you can claim to be "true liveaboards."

... We're also shopping for a new mainsail before taking off to do
any serious cruising. Haven't decided whether we're going to go north

or
south yet.

Well, don't take my advice or anything, but you'd be crazy
to head north for a few months yet.

Haven't any plans to....

... I brought my fishing gear with me and on a warmer day will go out
to the beach to surf fish. I caught a 1.5# crappe off the dock the

other
day and cooked it up for dinner. So, that's where I've been and

am....good
to be back.

Welcome back and say hello to Chopper for me. BTW you can
also catch flounder (very good eating) & bluefish (ditto) &
sturgeon (said to be good by some) in the river... in fact a
world's record sturgeon was caught about 100 yards from your
slip, it was somewhere around 9' feet long. Saw it in the
paper hanging from the bridge trestle that afternoon... this
was back in the 1960s IIRC.

The sturgeon can just sit down there on the bottom...they are the world's
ugliest fish (almost...dog fish and gobi's are about as ugly...)

Fresh Breezes- Doug King
\\katy

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katysails

The house is still there...for now....we're just toying with retirement and
looking at a bunch of possibilities and I am exceedingly tired of winters in
MI. We had Chanteuse trucked down here...used American Boat Transport which
I will recommend to anyone needing a boat shipped. They were reasonable, on
time, and the boat arrived intact. The boat yard we launched from had an
inexperienced kid, though, who thought boats drive like cars and he ended up
smashing one stanchion and bending another..they are t a welding shop
getting fixed..all in all a small thing considering...fortunately, I was on
the boat and immediately gave him a katy earful about how to back a fin keel
boat...

katy
"ladysailor" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wow Katy, that's some news! Congrats and welcome to life on a boat.
What did you do with your house? Did you truck Chanteuse all the way
down there or get some sailing in on the way?

Barb
www.sailinglinks.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katysails

Hey...now you, me and Barbie are all liveaboards...how about that?

"Seahag" wrote in message
Welcome back! Group can't have too many liveaboards!

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katysails

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
[...]

Hooray and Welcome Back Katy!
What an adventure you are having, I'm very jealous!
Blues are great eating as well as flounder and next season, crabs crabs
crabs!!
Please post pics of your floating palace if you get time!
Scout

\\I will...we're going out to Oceacoke this weekend...the Right Whales are

supposed to be swimming around out there and I'm hoping to get some pictures
of them, too, plus some pictures of Cape Hatteras light....

katy

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katysails

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
k.net...
I bet that low cabin ceiling is rough on the beehive.

Low cabin ceiling?????You got the wrong boat, there, Bob...my beehive,
although not as impressive as Marge Simpson's, is doing just fine...

Did you see any alligators yet?

No, but there is supposedly one living down the river from here according to
a lady at the bank...

Amen!

wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katysails

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
Welcomer back Katy. You didn't miss ANYTHING.

It is far better to meet real people, than to dance with
sock puppets.

True....sock pupets only know one step....

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katysails

Peter,
Please email me your sb addy...I'm using my infernal inferior laptop and
don't have it.

katy

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
Throughhull with back flow preventer? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 13 November 5th 05 08:06 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM