Glenn Ashmore

Default Throughhull with back flow preventer?

Rutu has 3 small lockers built into he swim platform for snorkeling
equipment. It will be impossible to keep them dry so the side lockers drain
into the center one and I was planning to install a small bilge pump. I am
now thinking that a throughhull drain would be simpler and more reliable but
the drain will be only about 2" above the water line. Any little swell at
anchor will push water back up into the locker. I have seen 1 1/2" cockpit
drains with a ball float that seal when below the water line but they are to
large. Has anyone seen a similar device in the 3/4" to 1" range?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

dazed and confuzzed

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Rutu has 3 small lockers built into he swim platform for snorkeling
equipment. It will be impossible to keep them dry so the side lockers drain
into the center one and I was planning to install a small bilge pump. I am
now thinking that a throughhull drain would be simpler and more reliable but
the drain will be only about 2" above the water line. Any little swell at
anchor will push water back up into the locker. I have seen 1 1/2" cockpit
drains with a ball float that seal when below the water line but they are to
large. Has anyone seen a similar device in the 3/4" to 1" range?

yes, in PVC. It looks like a very thick plastic union fitting.

If you can't find one locally,, I am sure that I can get one at my local
plumbing supply. I'm not sure that is has a ball *float*, but it does
have a ball that will check the water flow.

--
“The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their
neutrality in times of moral crisis.”

Glenn Ashmore

"Jim Conlin" wrote in

Sunfish had simple bronze suction bailers.. I think they had some kind of
check ball.

That is sort of what I am looking for. A low profile self bailer with a
check ball.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jim Conlin

Then look at http://www.dinghyshop.com/sunfish/bailer.html

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
"Jim Conlin" wrote in

Sunfish had simple bronze suction bailers.. I think they had some kind

of
check ball.

That is sort of what I am looking for. A low profile self bailer with a
check ball.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Roger Derby

The Chebacco I'm building has an anchor storage space forward of the first
bulkhead. The inside "sole" is above the waterline, so I intend to bore a
3/4" diameter drain hole, and staple the center from a Pringle can lid on
the outside as a flap valve. Suitable shims will pretty up the forward edge
and bias the flap closed. It should drain faster than it floods if I do it
right. It will be a couple of inches above the waterline most of the time
if she floats on her lines. Cheaper and easier to clean than a ball valve.

The bailer on my Sunfish was frozen shut when I got it and has never been
opened. A butchered plastic milk jug moves the water out quite well. A
cheap sponge finishes it dry if that's required. I would have removed it to
get rid of the lump on the bottom, but that's not allowed by the racing
committee.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Rutu has 3 small lockers built into he swim platform for snorkeling
equipment. It will be impossible to keep them dry so the side lockers
drain into the center one and I was planning to install a small bilge
pump. I am now thinking that a throughhull drain would be simpler and
more reliable but the drain will be only about 2" above the water line.
Any little swell at anchor will push water back up into the locker. I
have seen 1 1/2" cockpit drains with a ball float that seal when below the
water line but they are to large. Has anyone seen a similar device in the
3/4" to 1" range?

Garland Gray II

This is what I was going to suggest. I have made flaps like this out of a
real heavy dacron material (about 3 inches wide, and the name of which
escapes me at the moment) I got from a sailmaker,

"Roger Derby" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

Jim Conlin

Might it make sense to grind thin a section of the cedar 'core' re-glass the
inside and think of it as a sump for the bailer?
Just a guess.