Steve

Default Throughhull with back flow preventer?

I have had a bad experience with drainage from my lazerette. I had
originally planned to us it for flammable storage, paint, O/B gas and small
propane cylinders.

The bottom of the locker was several inches above the waterline, at rest,
however the my boats stern settles several inches while under power.

Net result was a locker with several inches of water. I considered check
valves or flappers but had little confidence in them with the waterline
fluctuating with speed and sea condition, I just plugged the scupper/drain
and rely on natural locker ventilation in the event there are fumes.

The only ball check valve scuppers I have seen were custom made by a old
fellow building a Draught Naught (scaled up Tahiti Ketch)..

His design relied on the ball floating up against a seat. Since I never saw
this boat again, I can't say how well it worked.

I tried a similar method in a bilge drain, into a gray water tank, using a
ping pong ball. It was a total success since there didn't seem to be enough
buoyancy force against the valve seat.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
Rutu has 3 small lockers built into he swim platform for snorkeling
equipment. It will be impossible to keep them dry so the side lockers
drain into the center one and I was planning to install a small bilge
pump. I am now thinking that a throughhull drain would be simpler and
more reliable but the drain will be only about 2" above the water line.
Any little swell at anchor will push water back up into the locker. I
have seen 1 1/2" cockpit drains with a ball float that seal when below the
water line but they are to large. Has anyone seen a similar device in the
3/4" to 1" range?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com