BoatBanter.com

-   -   Thank You JEFF!!! (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/62744-thank-you-jeff.html)

Gary November 14th 05 03:23 PM

Thank You JEFF!!!

Capt. Rob wrote:
The way I think of it, in windward sailing you are either gaining speed

or gaining height.

I've never seen such obvious stuff posted. It's almost amazing that
Trawler boy is posting this as if Loco doesn't know it already, let
alone Ozzy. Hey, Trawler boy, when you feather a heavy disp. full keel
cruiser what is the momentum factor vs. wetted surface.
Gee, lemmee think! Uh DUH!

Could you people actually post ANYTHING not available in ANY child's
sailing book?

RB
35s5
NY

Nice!

Capt.Mooron November 14th 05 04:08 PM

Thank You JEFF!!!

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
You don't "feather" a heavy or moderate displacement cruiser Bob.

Above is what Mooron said...but he never said it...or didn't mean

Yeah Bob.... let me 'splain it fer Ya easy like... "don't" not "can't"...
can you clue in on those two important words?

it...or...something about Pampers....
He sure knows boats!

I know how to sail Bob..... knowing boats is what desk side enthusiasts do.

CM

Capt.Mooron November 14th 05 04:09 PM

Thank You JEFF!!!

Yeah Gary.... it's typical Bobspeak when a subject matter goes over his
head... like anything about actual sailing.

CM

DSK November 14th 05 05:55 PM

Thank You JEFF!!!

Honestly, we won't take Thomas into dangerous conditions offshore in
any boat.

Probably a good thing for both Thomas AND you.

For the Boobster, walking down the dock constitutes a 'hazardous
voyage.' And he'll post pictures to prove it!

Maxprop wrote:
What I was objecting to in your diatribe was comparing your boat with boats
obviously built to a higher standard and with greater integrity of hull and
rig, designed for conditions that your boat was not. If you were honest
you'd have to admit that your boat is not in the same league as a Wauquiez,
Sweden, J-Boat, Swan, or many others costing far more.

There are lots of great boats out there. Then there's a fair amount of
not-so-great, and a small percentage of crap. Very often the perception
of the boat is based on publicity & advertising rather than any
realistic consideration of the boat itself.

... Then again you
didn't have to mortgage the Empire State Building to buy your boat.
Everything is a trade-off in life. Boats are no exception. Beneteau builds
a decent boat for the buck, better than Hunter or Catalina, IMO.

They generally cost more, too.

The bottom line- Bubbles claims he bought a boat, paying more than 5X
what Scotty paid... and his boat is only slightly bigger, *maybe*
slightly faster (if Bubbles takes sailing lessons)... will be used less,
and that closer to it's home slip.

WTF has he got to brag about?

DSK

Capt. JG November 14th 05 06:32 PM

Thank You JEFF!!!

When I'm teaching, I've noticed that students, especially those relatively
new to sailing, get very focused on the boat alone, rather than what's
around them... typically ignoring the small waves, lulls and puffs. I try to
get them to look away from what's happening on the boat and toward the
environment they're in. I think that helps, because then I can give them
help during tacks.. e.g., not tacking between chop but rather at the top if
possible.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Yup... straight line sailing is faster.. turn = slowing.

OzOne wrote:
Yup, it's faster, but letting the boat roll up in the gusts and
shooting just a tad gains a whole lot of ground to windward.
Straight line an Etchells and you'll get murdered!

The way I think of it, in windward sailing you are either gaining speed or
gaining height. THe ideal would be to go fast & high, but usually as you
put the boat closer & closer to the wind, it loses drive and begins to
slow. The key is to do it gently and to know how to flatten & super-trim
the sails so as to produce a long "hang" time. Then you also have to know
the point at which the boat's underwater foils lose enough effectiveness
that you're making more leeway than gaining ground to windward.

Also, anticipate waves & lulls so as not to get caught high & slow.

If you're going to get into a pinching contest, go into it with speed!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Capt.Mooron November 14th 05 06:34 PM

Thank You JEFF!!!

"DSK" wrote in message

The bottom line- Bubbles claims he bought a boat, paying more than 5X what
Scotty paid... and his boat is only slightly bigger, *maybe* slightly
faster (if Bubbles takes sailing lessons)... will be used less, and that
closer to it's home slip.

All Valid Facts......

WTF has he got to brag about?

Nothing... he does it to generate sailing discussion. Look at the topic and
subject matter on this group since he has returned!
Politics... next to nothing.... yet he is single-handedly handling a myraid
of attacks on his prepostorous claims.

He even requested I join in the assault to offer some sport. Now he's
reconsidering the logic of that request!

Mr. Crantz has been breakin' Bob's Balls with his race results!

Gentlemen... grab a fresh wet Mackeral and let's start slapping Bob again!
:-)

I'll just keep slapping him with this lil'Smelt....

CM

Capt. JG November 14th 05 09:58 PM

Thank You JEFF!!!

Funny... I didn't realize that Etchells have an inboard head.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:32:56 -0800, "Capt. JG"
scribbled thusly:

When I'm teaching, I've noticed that students, especially those relatively
new to sailing, get very focused on the boat alone, rather than what's
around them... typically ignoring the small waves, lulls and puffs. I try
get them to look away from what's happening on the boat and toward the
environment they're in. I think that helps, because then I can give them
help during tacks.. e.g., not tacking between chop but rather at the top
if
possible.

When sailing the Etchells, we have a policy of one head inside the
boat, two out.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Capt. Neal® November 14th 05 10:06 PM

Thank You JEFF!!!

Mention the word 'head' and Ganz is all over it . . .

CN

Capt. JG November 14th 05 10:42 PM

Thank You JEFF!!!

You mean Native American. Indian isn't politically correct.

Interesting that Neal is *still* obsessed with me. I guess he just can't get
over his infatuation.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:06:21 -0500, Capt. Neal®
scribbled thusly:

Mention the word 'head' and Ganz is all over it . . .

CN

It's the Indian food.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Capt. Rob November 14th 05 10:52 PM

Thank You JEFF!!!

Interesting that Neal is *still* obsessed with me. I guess he just
can't get
over his infatuation.

You should be flattered. For a while Neal was sending me pics of John
Candy in drag and claiming it was Loco's mother. Really disturbing
stuff.

RB
35s5
NY