Bobsprit

yes she has worked some on the rights of children and deserves credit for
this (somewhat misguided) effort.

I doubt the reopened children centers are misguided. And I seriously doubt
parents in those areas will agree with you.

RB
Bobsprit

want to venture a guess: the funding is not in place. the project has come
to a halt.
fine "representation" don't you think
more smoke screens.

A lot of valid projects get stalled. Happens all the time. Doesn't always mean
bad politics. Good intentions don't always bring good results.

RB
Vito

"Bobsprit" wrote
....., she has worked hard on environmental factors in NY.

So has Osama bin Ladin. Eliminated one of the biggest eyesores in the city
and what -2500 - polluters.

gonefishiing

No i am not "dead wrong"
look at the summary of bills presented to congress. I stated clearly
...........read again if you need.
do you know what enviromental bills were presented and by whom?
do you know which ones were past into legislation?

i have not denied she is involved.
in fact i stated something to the effect that she presented 138 pieces of
potential legislation.

i believe she is mostly ineffective

what i dislike is the misrepresentation of facts and the twisting of
statements to suit an argument.

as to your comment, i see that you do appear to like her and are not swayed
by facts

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
the vast majority of the bills (the important ones) concerning the
environment were not sponsered by her, she simply joined the coattails of
other senators.

Sorry, you're dead wrong. Hillary has played a major part in cleaning up
the
LIS, even beyond what Schumer was getting done on his own. Her profile
renewed
legal action against companies who were dumping.
I see that you don't like her, but it does not appear to be founded on
facts.

RB

Bobsprit

in fact i stated something to the effect that she presented 138 pieces of
potential legislation.

i believe she is mostly ineffective

Again you ignore facts. It seems to be your favorite mode. Hillary is a JR.
Sen. You might want to investigate others with the same job. They generally
don't do 1/10th of what she does. Should she become a senator I'd expect her to
raise the bar in that position as well. Jr. Senators are rarely heard from at
all and generally don't shake the tree's of big business. Again, you said she
did nothing. I proved otherwise. You said she's ineffective and I pointed out
that she's only a Jr. Senator. You've simply ignore what I've said so it suits
your position. I'm afraid I'll agree with Bill on this one. She's a powerful
woman and smart. That scares a lot guys.

RB

Bobsprit

what i dislike is the misrepresentation of facts and the twisting of
statements to suit an argument.

I pointed out that she limited dumping in OUR LIS sailing grounds. I pointed
out that she was a major player in reopening several children's centers.
Please let me know when you see a twisted fact. What's twisted is your effort
to ignore what she has done, what she's tried to do and that she's only a Jr.
Senator who's learning the ropes.

RB
gonefishiing

you're responses do not answer the questions posted.

in regards to LIS, you are correct. i do not know the facts of her effort.
you're other assumption is wrong: of course i am interested in what happens
in LIS.

so rather than state one more time that i don't care.
why not just try to respond to the two relatively simple questions ?

you keep saying wonderfully fanatastic things in regards to her actions
relative to long island sound
so far i understand there is/was a judges order to prevent another dumping
of sewage(?)
what are the long term accomplishments
or will you again automatically assume a defensive posture which will leave
us driving in circles for another lap around the course of reason?

PS: if nothing else, read the 1st paragraph

Testimony of Governor George E. Pataki

before the

Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment

February 29, 2000

Chairman Boehlert and members of the House Water Resources Subcommittee, I
am pleased to be here with Governor Rowland, and I thank you for providing
me with this opportunity to talk to you about some of New York State's
efforts to protect and improve one of the premier estuaries in the Nation --
Long Island Sound. While New York is proud of the progress we have made to
restore the Sound's water quality, federal assistance is greatly needed to
fulfill our commitment to the Sound.

Specifically, I would like to express my strong support for H.R. 3313, the
Long Island Sound Restoration Act introduced by Congressman Lazio and
Congresswoman Johnson.

Overview of Long Island Sound Activities

Long Island Sound is the home to many. For centuries, people have been
attracted to its wide, sandy beaches, blue waters, and abundant natural
resources. More than eight million people live in the Long Island Sound
watershed - a staggering number for a resource whose fragility was
recognized only after serious environmental problems were discovered in the
Sound.

The economy and environment of the Sound are intertwined as well: research
commissioned by the Long Island Sound Study estimated that about $5 billion
is generated annually in the regional economy from boating, commercial and
port fishing, swimming, and beachgoing. Cargo shipping, ferry transportation
and power generation also are important uses of the Sound.

Indeed, millions flock to the Sound each year to enjoy its diverse and
beautiful natural resources, while vital industries make it their home base.
Long Island Sound is a classic example of the vital interplay between the
environment and the economy.

With the uses it serves and the recreational opportunities it provides, Long
Island Sound is among the most important estuaries in the Nation.

We have long known, however, that the Sound is troubled. Since the 1980's,
hypoxia - low dissolved oxygen - has emerged as an issue of great concern in
Long Island Sound. Without sufficient levels of oxygen, marine life moves
out of the area or suffocates. Simply put, without oxygen, we will not have
lobster, crab, shrimp, or other aquatic organisms in the waters of Long
Island Sound.

Through careful scientific analysis, it has been determined that sewage
treatment plants in New York and Connecticut contribute significantly to
this tremendous threat to the Sound's aquatic life through the nitrogen
also are significant threats to the Sound's aquatic and economic health.

To study and address these problems, the Long Island Sound Study (LISS) was
created in 1985. In 1988, the Sound also was declared an estuary of national
significance under the Environmental Protection Agency's National Estuary
Program (NEP). These actions brought important federal technical and
financial support to the Sound, helping us to protect it for future
generations.

Resulting from these designations, a Comprehensive Conservation and
Management Plan (CCMP) for Long Island Sound was approved. To demonstrate my
strong commitment to the Sound, along with Governor Rowland, I reaffirmed
this Plan in 1996. The plan is being implemented as a blueprint to improve
the health of the estuary while ensuring compatible human uses within the
Sound ecosystem.

New York's Financial Commitment to the Sound

New York's commitment to the Sound took shape immediately after my
reaffirmation of the CCMP, when the voters of New York State approved the
$1.75 billion Clean Water/Clean Air Bond Act in 1996. This Bond Act
dedicated $200 million in State funds to the restoration of the Sound - more
than is available for any other water body in the State of New York.
Already, these funds are being put to work.

In addition, we have:

a.. Modified discharge permits to ensure no net increase in discharges
of nitrogen above the levels that existed in 1990, and even reduced
discharges in Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk Counties to an aggregate level
of 85% of 1990 discharges. We are working to reduce nitrogen levels even
further;
b.. Provided funds to construct nitrogen control and nitrogen removal
projects in Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk Counties; and
c.. Made substantial progress to reduce nitrogen discharges in New York
City. Results for calendar year 1999 indicate that discharges were at or
below 1990 levels on an annual basis. New York City also has completed a
Nitrogen Control Feasibility Study which indicates that it will cost at
least $583 million to upgrade sewage treatment facilities in the upper East
River.
Progress has also been made in other areas. Dry weather overflows from
combined sewers have been virtually eliminated. A total of 40 percent of the
rainfall-induced runoff in New York City is captured and treated, along with
70 percent of floatable materials, while the discharge of eight heavy metals
has been reduced by over 50%. All of these efforts respond to commitments
made in the CCMP to reduce nitrogen inputs to Long Island Sound, thus
lessening hypoxia problems and preserving the Sound's aquatic environment.

The State and local governments committed substantial sums to implement
these actions. Already, New York City has spent more than $40 million to
reduce its discharges of harmful pollutants into the Sound, and an
additional $1.5 billion is estimated for combined sewer overflow control
projects over the next 10 years. Westchester County is committed to
activities to protect the Sound that will cost over $20 million.

Clean Water/Clean Air Bond Act Projects

In recognition of the need for funds to implement these and other projects
to protect and restore Long Island Sound, on February 17th, I announced $50
million in Clean Water/Clean Air Bond Act grants to local governments for
specific water quality improvement projects on the Sound. To date, including
these funds, I have made more than $84 million in Bond Act funds available
for 71 specific water quality improvement projects in communities along the
Sound.

These projects demonstrate New York's unwavering commitment to cleaning up
and protecting the waters of the Sound, restoring its aquatic resources and
fisheries, and ensuring its productivity as an environmental, economic and
recreational asset.

These grants - all of which are consistent with the CCMP for the Sound -
will improve wastewater treatment, control non-point sources of pollution,
and restore aquatic habitats. Among these projects is a grant of $30.8
million to New York City to upgrade the Hunts Point Water Pollution Control
Plant, one of the largest sources of nitrogen to Western Long Island Sound.
With this funding, the City will reconstruct the plant's main facilities to
increase its capacity during storms. The City also will install new
equipment at the plant to reduce the amount of nitrogen discharged from it
into the East River and the Sound.

Public Access to the Sound

Because of the remarkable progress we have made to restore Long Island
Sound, it's time to give New Yorkers an opportunity to enjoy it. We know
that only a few major public access facilities, including two state parks,
give New Yorkers the kind of access this improved water resource attracts.
The public input that helped produced the Long Island Sound Coastal
Management Plan and the Long Island Sound Study showed us clearly that,
right now, access is lacking.

In the State of the State address I delivered in January, I committed that,
within this decade, New York will establish at least 10 new Sound access
sites on Long Island, Westchester, Queens and the Bronx. We have begun this
effort, and are developing a new Nissequogue River State Park to be opened
officially this summer.

This commitment to access is a multi agency undertaking that will be
accomplished through acquisition and enhancement of existing facilities.
These facilities will be operated either directly by the State or through
partnerships with local governments. New beaches, fishing access, boat
launches, open space, transient docks and public waterfronts are goals of
this undertaking to deliver what has only been talked about in the past. I
have committed $25 million in this investment in our New York quality of
life.

Commercial Fishery Failure for Long Island Lobster Industry

Last year on December 9th, Governor Rowland and I each had the dubious
distinction of asking Commerce Secretary Daley for federal assistance to
help the crippled Long Island Sound lobster industry. While I am grateful
that Secretary Daley has concurred with this need, I am troubled by the
die-off of so many of the Sound's lobsters, and I am concerned about the
economic loss faced by the lobstermen, their families, and others affected
by this fishery disaster. I have requested $15 million in federal funds to
help us to respond to this commercial fishery failure, and I urge your
support for this proposal.

We do not yet know with certainty the cause of the lobster die-off. The
State rarely has faced such a serious problem in its marine fishery, and I
hope that we never will again.

The best insurance that we can have against another commercial fishery
failure is the restoration of Long Island Sound's aquatic ecosystems. This
can happen best with federal support. Unfortunately, the failure of the
lobster fishery may have given us another critical justification of the need
for the federal government to commit its share of funds to implement the
CCMP and help us to restore the Sound.

Need for Federal Financial Support

Tremendous technical and financial commitments have been made by the State
of New York, which have resulted in great progress. We recognize and
appreciate as well the significant resources which Connecticut has made
available. But the states, acting together, cannot and should not provide
all of the funds to restore the Sound.

Through its commitment to the Long Island Sound Study and the National
Estuary Program, the federal government has demonstrated its concurrence
that Long Island Sound is an estuary of national importance. The federal
technical support and limited level of financial support which are provided
through these designations has proven this commitment, albeit in a more
modest fashion than we would desire.

The CCMP which Governor Rowland and I have endorsed - along with the Clinton
Administration - requires many complex and costly actions to eliminate the
varied causes of pollution to the Sound. The CCMP is our vision, and the
funds dedicated by both states are the most vital tools to implement this
vision. Through the efforts made by the states, already we have demonstrated
clearly that the pollution problems faced by the Sound can be addressed
effectively. But given the Sound's national importance and national
benefits, a significant commitment of federal funds is essential to the full
implementation of the CCMP, and is justified by federal endorsement of the
recommendations made in this Plan.

A year ago, I spoke before this Subcommittee, and recommended the
introduction of legislation to authorize federal funds to help New York and
Connecticut to restore Long Island Sound. This recommendation has taken form
as H.R. 3313. Enactment of this legislation is vitally needed to demonstrate
that the federal government will match the commitment of New York and
Connecticut to the restoration of Long Island Sound, and I applaud
Congressman Lazio and Congresswoman Johnson for their vision in introducing
this tremendous measure. I urge you now to pass this measure quickly, as a
decisive endorsement of full federal support for the restoration of Long
Island Sound.

Other Clean Water Infrastructure Needs

While enactment of H.R. 3313 is necessary to direct federal funds
specifically toward Long Island Sound, I also want to endorse the December
16, 1999 letter which the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
sent to President Clinton on the need for additional funds for water
infrastructure initiatives such as wastewater treatment, wet weather flows,
and nonpoint source pollution. While the Administration's lack of support
for the efforts of the states to protect water quality has been
disappointing, New Yorkers have greatly appreciated the actions of Congress
to restore appropriations.

We in the states must rely on the good judgment of Congress to ensure that
this most effective program continues to be funded adequately. In New York,
we can provide examples of critical, albeit expensive projects that still
must go forward if we are to provide the public with the clean, healthy
waters that they deserve.

For instance, New York's Clean Water State Revolving Fund will provide more
than $400 million toward the clean up of Onondaga Lake, the only lake in the
country with the unfortunate distinction of being a listed federal Superfund
site. Another $1.5 billion will be needed to upgrade and expand the Newtown
Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility in New York City, which will contribute
significantly to our efforts to clean up Long Island Sound.

With needs like these, maintaining the level of federal contributions to the
Clean Water SRF is essential. Last year, Congress approved an appropriation
of $1.35 billion to this vital initiative, restoring a significant cut
recommended by President Clinton. Maintaining the Clean Water SRF at this
level for Federal Fiscal Year 2001 is important for New York and other
states.

Henry Hudson Riverine and Estuarine Research and Education Institute

I want to make clear the depth of New York's concern for its rivers and
estuaries. Across New York State are some of the highest quality waters in
our Nation. Like Long Island Sound, these rivers and estuaries are
intrinsically intertwined with the State's history, culture and economic
development.

New Yorkers have a deep and abiding respect for the water - from Long Island
Sound, which graces our coast, to majestic rivers such as the Hudson,
Mohawk, Delaware, and Susquehanna. We recognize the importance of these
water bodies, and respect the need to protect and sustain their ecosystems.

We must learn, as well, from the legacy of the past, when often actions that
demonstrated our poor degree of understanding of the complex functions of
biological systems allowed these water bodies to be degraded.

We can best fulfill our vision of restoring our water bodies through the
highest quality scientific research. This research will apply not just to
the rivers and estuaries of New York State, but to those around the world.
To demonstrate this high dedication to these water resources, I have
proposed the creation of the Henry Hudson Riverine and Estuarine Research
and Education Institute.

The name of Henry Hudson evokes the image of exploration, which truly will
be the mission of the Institute - to explore new and better ways to protect
these fabulous resources, and to keep them safe for generations to come.

At this time, our development and planning for the Institute is just
beginning. I look forward, however, to working with you in the months and
years to come, to make this wonderful idea a reality.

Conclusion

The future of environmental policy lies in the development of programs and
initiatives designed to achieve two, complementary objectives: a cleaner,
safer environment and economic growth. Those two goals are cornerstones of
the quality of life that Americans deserve. Through our efforts to restore
Long Island Sound, and to develop the Rivers Institute, I believe that we
are demonstrating the compatibility of these goals. I look forward to
working with you and your colleagues to further them.

Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to speak before you this
afternoon.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
ok again: was some other senator supposedly to do her job?
LONG TERM: what was accomplished?

Hillary is a Jr. Senator. Do you know what that is? As a Jr. Senator,
Hillary
has worked with Charles Schumer and aided in much of his work. You notice
that
Schumer is a pretty popular guy and Hillary works hand in hand with him.
As for directly aiding you, she has worked hard on environmental factors
in NY.
Don't you care about that?

RB

gonefishiing

what are you missing he
i stated that hillary is active by virtue of 138 pieces of potential
legislation in one year!
i also stated that she brought money to the state for children's programs

gf.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
advocates are great. accomplishments are better.
i am an advocate for many things
for a cleaner environment as well.
for children (who the hell isn't)

As I said, Hillary was behind shutting down additional dumping on the LIS.
That's apart from Schumer.
She's brought in additional funding for children's programs. In fact, the
Queens activity center in my neighborhood was brought back to life by
Hillary.
Sorry, you just don't know the facts on Hillary. Then again it does not
appear
that your are aware of limited capacity of a Jr. Senator. Hillary is more
active than most.

RB

gonefishiing

i'll take that as an agreement.
gf.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Pete Seeger is an advocate, far more succesful than hillary by a long shot
far more interesting.

Pete Seeger hasn't done anything for local schools, but then I don't
expect him
to. Pete Seeger supported and continues to support Hillary, BTW. They
co-hosted
several environmental rallies.

RB

Bobsprit

you keep saying wonderfully fanatastic things in regards to her actions
relative to long island sound
so far i understand there is/was a judges order to prevent another dumping
of sewage(?)

Dumping on the sound has been a problem every year with the same old "accident"
story. Hillary was so vocal about it that something finally happened and real
suits were filed. Since I spend a great deal of the summer sailing this is not
a small issue to me. I don't imagine it would be small for you either.

RB

2008 Eisboch General 13 November 8th 04 09:09 PM
Kerry or Hillary? Recobee ASA 19 October 19th 04 12:17 AM
Donations for Hillary Scott Vernon ASA 1 July 26th 03 04:10 PM