John Cairns

Cabo Rico builds a great boat, but "quick" isn't one of their qualities, not
by contemporary standards anyways.
John Cairns
"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
If you have the opportunity... try a Cabo Rico 38. I had one chartered for

3
weeks in Eluthra, Bahamas. We sailed the Exuma Cays. A truly spectacular
vessel, quick and well built.

CM

Flying Tadpole

Bobsprit wrote:

Scotti Potty brought up an interesting point, even if it was in an attempt to
troll.
How many of us are on our "last boats?"

Lady Kate will do well for a long, long time (baring accidents)
but probably won't be the "last boat". Especially after reefing
three times in an hour, when the tendonitis in the shoulders says
hello, the realisation is there that in say 10 years time I
physically may not be able to do the needful. Perhaps stretch
that to 15 years if I install winches. Even so, the "last boat"
might still be a non-sailing Lady Kate, run as a motor drifter,
quietly working her way up the inland rivers.

Reason for Lady Kate's longevity?
-easily singlehanded
-huge amounts of below-deck room without design cutenesses
-a decent galley, icebox,sink, stove (tho no oven, but a camp
oven on the stove works well)
-standing headroom in the galley
-long (7') saloon berths
-queen-size double sleeping flat in the stern quarters (only
lounging headroom tho.)
-simple, fast, easy maintenance, including counterwieghted mast
in tabernacle and so, freedom from the tyranny of cranes and
yards
-simple, fat, easy sailplan
-excellent ventilation
-lots of storage lockers
-no-release waste systems likely to meet EPA extortionate demands
for the forseeable future

NOw, none of the above relate to sailing, in particular racing
characteristics. As a racer, forget it (heeling hard makes for
mess below decks!) As a cruiser, fast enough and closewinded
enough.

But they all relate to comfort and the little things that become
a real pain as one gets older--things like not being able to
stand up, or not being able to raise knees in a coffin-like
bunk. It's still primitive compared with Thom's pilothouse
luxury, but then its warmer down here...
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Squareboats! not updated of course...
http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/sbhome.htm
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://music.download.com/internetopera
Bobsprit

If you have the opportunity... try a Cabo Rico 38. I had one chartered for 3
weeks in Eluthra, Bahamas. We sailed the Exuma Cays. A truly spectacular
vessel, quick and well built.

This summer I got to take the wheel of quite a few boats, Tayana 48, Shannon
38, Gemini 105, C&C 41....all new boats to me. I also sailed a few others in
North Carolina including a Hobie 18 and something called a Beneteau 21, which
I've seen many times but never sailed until recently.
Sailing various designs is great fun and you're right: Best way to find what
you like.

RB
Bobsprit

If you have the opportunity... try a Cabo Rico 38.

That's funny. While sailing today someone else was suggesting that boat to
Suzanne. Pricey boat, but beautiful.

RB
Bobsprit

So, I recommend, around the 60 year mark in life start thinking about
what your last boat should be,

You should be proud to be still sailing, Thom. I hope you are at the very
least.

RB

SAIL LOCO

If you have the opportunity... try a Cabo Rico 38. I had one chartered for 3
weeks in Eluthra, Bahamas. We sailed the Exuma Cays. A truly spectacular
vessel, quick .

LOL.............. I guess everything is relative.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
Scott Vernon

Careful now!!! ****head believes that you can't enjoy your current
boat if
you're not planning for the next one.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Barring any mishap...... Overproof is my last vessel.

I bothered to select the vessel that best suits my requirements over

a wide
range of sailing experiences. I can easily single-hand the vessel

and yet
carry up to 6 crew in comfort for extended passages.

Overproof's size, lines, behaviour and abilities exceed my base

criteria.

It was my only home for 9 years. I know her quirks and subtleties...

I talk
to my boat!

Last Boat ... Yes!

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

| Scotti Potty brought up an interesting point, even if it was in an

attempt
| troll.
| How many of us are on our "last boats?"
| While many of us are happy with our current boats, we can easily

see
changes
| and expectations that can't be met by our current boats. My next

boat will
be
| 36 feet long....after that I may go even larger. My last boat will
probably be
| something much smaller, but sweet, such as a H28 or even a smaller
Nonsuch.
| So...How many of you are on your "Last boat" and if you're not

(most of us
| aren't ready to roll over yet) what boat do you see finishing up

on?

| RB

Scott Vernon

you like your boat for all the WRONG reasons. Looks, are what really
count. Nothing else matters, as long as she looks good.

Here's a quote for you to ponder, in your pond. ''I've yet to meet
anyone who made a sailboat choice with zero regard for the look of the
vessel.''

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message

But they all relate to comfort and the little things that become
a real pain as one gets older--things like not being able to
stand up, or not being able to raise knees in a coffin-like
bunk. It's still primitive compared with Thom's pilothouse
luxury, but then its warmer down here...
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Squareboats! not updated of course...
http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/sbhome.htm
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://music.download.com/internetopera

Scott Vernon

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Barring any mishap...... Overproof is my last vessel.

''Spoken like a guy who has no "next boat" in his future and little
future at all
for that matter. '' ....RB

Scott Vernon

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Barring any mishap...... Overproof is my last vessel.

So, you are raedy to roll over.

I bothered to select the vessel that best suits my requirements over

a wide
range of sailing experiences. I can easily single-hand the vessel

and yet
carry up to 6 crew in comfort for extended passages.

Overproof's size, lines, behaviour and abilities exceed my base

criteria.

''I've yet to meet anyone who made a sailboat choice with zero regard
for the
look of the vessel. A boat is not a car to most folks. As usual Moron
stupidly
tries to be practical about something that is a passion for many and
that's a
shame.''............****head RB