Bobsprit

Default Your Last Boat???

Scotti Potty brought up an interesting point, even if it was in an attempt to
troll.
How many of us are on our "last boats?"
While many of us are happy with our current boats, we can easily see changes
and expectations that can't be met by our current boats. My next boat will be
36 feet long....after that I may go even larger. My last boat will probably be
something much smaller, but sweet, such as a H28 or even a smaller Nonsuch.
So...How many of you are on your "Last boat" and if you're not (most of us
aren't ready to roll over yet) what boat do you see finishing up on?

RB
felton

On 27 Aug 2004 18:19:40 GMT, (Bobsprit) wrote:

Scotti Potty brought up an interesting point, even if it was in an attempt to
troll.
How many of us are on our "last boats?"
While many of us are happy with our current boats, we can easily see changes
and expectations that can't be met by our current boats. My next boat will be
36 feet long....after that I may go even larger. My last boat will probably be
something much smaller, but sweet, such as a H28 or even a smaller Nonsuch.
So...How many of you are on your "Last boat" and if you're not (most of us
aren't ready to roll over yet) what boat do you see finishing up on?

RB

I think boats are a lot like houses. There is a time in life when
people are wanting to move "up", i.e. "bigger", and then there comes a
time when people want to go "smaller", which is not the same thing as
moving down. Let's face it, most people who sail don't live aboard
and don't really make extended blue water passages. We sail, but we
really don't need a liveaboard or a cruiser just to sail. I have a
feeling that my "last boat" will be smaller than the boat I currently
have. I would rather spend more time sailing and less time
maintaining.

An Alerion 28, or even one of the new Ensigns that I could sail
whenever the fancy strikes sounds great to me, just as two quick
examples of what I find pleasing. I know a lot of folks who are going
smaller and simpler because they want to. I probably will too at some
point.

Oh...my current boat is a Sabre 34-II.
Bobsprit

An Alerion 28, or even one of the new Ensigns that I could sail
whenever the fancy strikes sounds great to me, just as two quick
examples of what I find pleasing. I know a lot of folks who are going
smaller and simpler because they want to. I probably will too at some
point.

Oh...my current boat is a Sabre 34-II.

Well, you own a very nice boat. The Alerion, while expensive is certainly a
beautiful design. Another end-of-the-road boat would be small pilot house
sloop, like Thom's.

RB
Capt. Mooron

Barring any mishap...... Overproof is my last vessel.

I bothered to select the vessel that best suits my requirements over a wide
range of sailing experiences. I can easily single-hand the vessel and yet
carry up to 6 crew in comfort for extended passages.

Overproof's size, lines, behaviour and abilities exceed my base criteria.

It was my only home for 9 years. I know her quirks and subtleties... I talk
to my boat!

Last Boat ... Yes!

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

| Scotti Potty brought up an interesting point, even if it was in an attempt
| troll.
| How many of us are on our "last boats?"
| While many of us are happy with our current boats, we can easily see
changes
| and expectations that can't be met by our current boats. My next boat will
be
| 36 feet long....after that I may go even larger. My last boat will
probably be
| something much smaller, but sweet, such as a H28 or even a smaller
Nonsuch.
| So...How many of you are on your "Last boat" and if you're not (most of us
| aren't ready to roll over yet) what boat do you see finishing up on?
|
| RB

Bobsprit

It was my only home for 9 years. I know her quirks and subtleties... I talk
to my boat!

Last Boat ... Yes!

Good for you, Mooron! How many boats have you owned? I don't recall if you had
other boats prior.

RB
Capt. Mooron

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| It was my only home for 9 years. I know her quirks and subtleties... I
talk
| to my boat!
|
| Last Boat ... Yes!
|
| Good for you, Mooron! How many boats have you owned? I don't recall if you
had
| other boats prior.

18 ft Single Hand Dory - Row Boat - 16 years old
30 ft Cape Islander - Fishing Boat - 17 years old
42 ft Northumberland Straits Lobster Boat - 19 years old
20 ft Nordica - Sloop - 34 years old
30 ft. Nordica - Sloop - 37 years old

I knew it was my last boat when I first saw her in the yard.

CM

Bobsprit

18 ft Single Hand Dory - Row Boat - 16 years old
30 ft Cape Islander - Fishing Boat - 17 years old
42 ft Northumberland Straits Lobster Boat - 19 years old
20 ft Nordica - Sloop - 34 years old
30 ft. Nordica - Sloop - 37 years old

That's a good list!

RB
Thom Stewart

Nutsy;

For sure, I'm on my last boat. I knew it was my last boat 14 years ago,
when I brought it. Capitol did a pretty nice job of letting me
Semi-custom it.

The years are taking a bigger toll on the old man than on the boat. Was
about ready to put it in the hands of a broker this year.. Got a second
life with a new crew that changed my mind.

14 years ago I saw this time coming an purchased a boat that I would be
able to handle. Wanted a boat I could handle by myself or with others.
That was the reason for Furling 150 headsail set up and fully battened
main in Lazy Jacks. The right choice, for me! Wanted inside steering
but didn't want a Motorsailer. Thought the Gulf 32 was the boat but a
test sail proved me wrong. The Broker suggested the 29. He was RIGHT!

It has been a much better sail than I had hope to get. A great boat for
an evening sail or a week-end. If the weather socks me while I'm out,
I can hole up and not come home and be comfortable in the Pilothouse. I
can sail year round in comfort with Cabin Heat, Micro wave oven, two
burner stove, twin basin sink, chest ice box ( I should have went with
the cold plate) hot & cold water/ with shower, 12Vdc to 120Vac inverter.
I'm at home abroad.

It turned out to be a much better sailer than I figured. My crew bugged
me to race it. I registered in the Cruising Class and raced for about 10
years ( Middle of a 12 boat fleet)

So, I recommend, around the 60 year mark in life start thinking about
what your last boat should be,

I'm very glad I did

Ole Thom

Capt. Mooron

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| 18 ft Single Hand Dory - Row Boat - 16 years old
| 30 ft Cape Islander - Fishing Boat - 17 years old
| 42 ft Northumberland Straits Lobster Boat - 19 years old
| 20 ft Nordica - Sloop - 34 years old
| 30 ft. Nordica - Sloop - 37 years old
|
| That's a good list!

Between boats I crewed and sailed as many different types of vessels as
possible. I found chartering a unique way to access various designs while
offering substantial time to assess the vessel in a variety of situations.

If you have the opportunity... try a Cabo Rico 38. I had one chartered for 3
weeks in Eluthra, Bahamas. We sailed the Exuma Cays. A truly spectacular
vessel, quick and well built.

CM