Jonathan Ganz

Default have blue

I think you're an idiot.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
ah, NO solar panels. I see. Just an alternator belted to the spinning

prop
shaft puttin out maybe 6 amps.

So, let's add it up. 6 amps at 12 volts for 24 hours = 1,728 watts, which

=
2.3 hp-hours.

But you need 20 hp for up to 20 hours, or 400 hp-hours, or about 300,000

watts,
which will take you approximately 173.611111 days sailing to produce.

You would also need battery capacity of 50,000 amps.

This is to motor not even 1 day.

I dunno, joony. you think it is doable?

Jaxass, looks like you can't read. I said, no solar panels. Not sure
where you got $40K either. You're proving yourself over and
over to be an idiot.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
let's see if I got this straight.

you guys are saying that between solar panals and a generator belted to

the
prop shaft you will have more than enough amps produced to drive a 20

hp
electric motor for up to several hours, and therefore the public is

going
stampede the vendor to pay upwards of $40K for a motor, panals, a few

thousand
pounds of batteries all to avoid paying $8k for a diesel engine, plus

fuel.

boy, you guys sure do have dreams, don't you.

"Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

They're charged by the prop spinning while sailing.

This isn't the only one, but check this web site for more
info.

http://www.solomontechnologies.com/

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
ah, and the "batts" are charge how?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Jonathan Ganz

He misses a lot of things, including a brain.

"felton" wrote in message
On 03 Mar 2004 22:37:16 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

jonny, the wretchedly stupid public just hasn't caught to buying $10,000

worth
of solar panels to hang on one's boat, along with $5,000 worth of lead

acid
batteries to drive a umpty-ump thousand dollar electric motor to push a
sailboat one sunny day out of ten sunny days at 1/2 the boat speed of a

$6,000
diesel.

At least the wretched public hasn't been doing so so far.

Did you even visit the website? They are discussing hydrogen fuel
cell technology, not lead acid batteries driving an electric motor. I
believe you have missed the point they are trying to demonstrate.

It's one of the reasons, although "abandoning" is probably a bit
strong. Another is the potential ecological savings (although there's
still a big issue with disposing of batteries), and there's the added
benefit of more electricity available for whatever... washing machines.
Who knows.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
and *this* the reason people have been abandoning their ic engines in
favor
this great new technology?

Actually, they do. The weight is distributed so it's not as big a

deal
as a hunk of iron sitting in an inconvenient spot.

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
Looks like another attempt by that electric motor company to sell

some
motors.
They have been going to boat shows for years trying to get people

toss
their
diesels. They pitch people on the fact their motor weighs less and
requires
less maintenence. What they don't tell people is how many

batteries
they
need.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Martin Baxter

JAXAshby wrote:
ah, NO solar panels. I see. Just an alternator belted to the spinning prop
shaft puttin out maybe 6 amps.

So, let's add it up. 6 amps at 12 volts for 24 hours = 1,728 watts, which =
2.3 hp-hours.

But you need 20 hp for up to 20 hours, or 400 hp-hours, or about 300,000 watts,

Humm.... Something you could do to make your argument more credible, stop using
units of energy and units of power on opposite sides of an equals sign.

Cheers
Marty

Martin Baxter

JAXAshby wrote:

and the storage batteries to hold the amps until you can break down water is
where? And how are they recharged?

It *IS* perpetual motion to suggest that breaking down water into hydrogen and
then "burning" the hydrogen to produce power AND amps to break down th hydrogen

If you want 400 hp-hours of energy output, you have to have at least 400
hp-hours energy input.

While I agree that the scheme is somewhat harebrained, and likely taken as
whole comes out on the negative side energy wise; why store the energy in
a chemical battery, why not use it to break the bonds in the H2O molecule
and store the gasses? I think the energy required by the pumps to accomplish
this would probably be sufficient to cause the whole wacky idea to come acropper.

Cheers
Marty

Jeff Morris

So why would you put a "belt driven" alternator on a shaft that already has an
electric motor that can regenerate? And why only 6 amps at 12 volts?

The system I saw can charge 22 Amps at 144 Volts. The net efficiency was such
that they could power something like 1 hour for every 4 sailing. The battery
bank was good for around 4 hours of powering, and a 10kW genset could run it
fulltime (actually only running part-time to charge the batteries) with power
to spare. This was a 47 foot catamaran.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
ah, and the "batts" are charge how?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Donal

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
let's see if I got this straight.

hehheh Good one, Jax!

you guys are saying that between solar panals and a generator belted to

the
prop shaft you will have more than enough amps produced to drive a 20 hp
electric motor for up to several hours, and therefore the public is going

stampede the vendor to pay upwards of $40K for a motor, panals, a few

thousand
pounds of batteries all to avoid paying $8k for a diesel engine, plus

fuel.

No, Jax.

They didn't say anything like that. Really!

Read it again..... slowly!

Regards

Donal

JAXAshby

joony, joony,joony. I just took you at your word, and then ran the numbers
out. Is it my fault what those numbers came to be, or your fault for what you
said?

I think you're an idiot.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
ah, and the "batts" are charge how?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

JAXAshby

jeff, about it. where does the power to generate hydrogen come from? How much
power is generated by "burning" the hydrogen to produce water? Is this more
energy or less energy than it takes to split water into hydrogen?

jeffies, remember what they taught you in those alleged classes you took on
your way to your alleged arts degree in physics? You know, power in = power
out.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
ah, and the "batts" are charge how?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

JAXAshby

oh, you mean horsepower can not be compared to watts?

Gee, the European engine manufacturers do it all the time. somebody should
tell them you can't do that.

Humm.... Something you could do to make your argument more credible, stop
using
units of energy and units of power on opposite sides of an equals sign.

Cheers
Marty

JAXAshby

storing gaseous hydrogen takes one ENORMOUS amount of space, while storing
liquid hydrogen takes some enormous equipment that takes enormous power to run.
someone once was trying to come up with some "honeycomb" material that store
gaseous hyrdrogen in high densities, but I haven't heard of them in a while.

While I agree that the scheme is somewhat harebrained, and likely taken as
whole comes out on the negative side energy wise; why store the energy in
a chemical battery, why not use it to break the bonds in the H2O molecule
and store the gasses? I think the energy required by the pumps to accomplish
this would probably be sufficient to cause the whole wacky idea to come
acropper.

Cheers
Marty

FS: Blue Sea Systems electrical items for auction in eBay Peter Kennedy Marketplace 0 March 16th 04 08:28 PM
Bound for Blue Voyages T.R.H. Cruising 0 March 15th 04 06:55 AM
Harry's lobster boat? Gould 0738 General 3 December 23rd 03 06:24 AM
Glue blue poly tarp? Fred Williams Boat Building 9 July 12th 03 11:46 PM