Scott Vernon

Default have blue

''In 1906, Fred Marriott drove a steam powered vehicle built by the Stanley
Brothers to an amazing speed of 127.659 MPH,''

''In 1985 one of the Lear turbines found its way into a car which had been
brought to the Bonneville Salt Flats of Utah, USA for an attempt at the
steam powered Land Speed record. Over the course of several years the car
progressed from 110 MPH to a measured speed of 145.607 MPH.''

''The official speed set by Bob Barber stands at 145.607 MPH but is not
recognized by the FIA. However, we at the British Steam Car Challenge
recognize this speed as the record to exceed. ''

''The existing steam land speed record stands at 127.66 miles per hour, set
in 1906 by a modified Stanley Steam Car. Since then research has been
concentrated on the combustion engine to the neglect of steam vehicles.
However, technology has advanced so much since 1906 that new
techniques can be applied to steam which have simply not been tried
before. With the team's new vehicle, the record is set to rocket to as
much as 190 miles per hour. ''

Don't think they did it yet.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I'd actually kind of like to have a steam car, if it could have enough
oomph to drive on the highway.

DSK

A Stanley Steamer once held the world's speed record, at I believe

something
over 190 mph.

Jonathan Ganz

Jaxass can't even google. My 6 year old niece can do that. Maybe jaxass
didn't graduate to jr. high?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I'd actually kind of like to have a steam car, if it could have enough
oomph to drive on the highway.

DSK

A Stanley Steamer once held the world's speed record, at I believe

something
over 190 mph.

Maynard G. Krebbs

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 10:55:15 -0500, DSK wrote:

OzOne wrote:

Remember when steam was god?

I was thinking more of use in factories.

There are still a lot of steam plants out there. Job security for an
ex-Navy boilertender is excellent!

I'd actually kind of like to have a steam car, if it could have enough
oomph to drive on the highway.

DSK

Jay Leno got a ticket for doing 120mph in his Stanley Steamer.
Mark E. Williams
DSK

Maynard G. Krebbs wrote:
Jay Leno got a ticket for doing 120mph in his Stanley Steamer.

Sure, but what can it do in the quarter mile?

DSK

FS: Blue Sea Systems electrical items for auction in eBay Peter Kennedy Marketplace 0 March 16th 04 08:28 PM
Bound for Blue Voyages T.R.H. Cruising 0 March 15th 04 06:55 AM
Harry's lobster boat? Gould 0738 General 3 December 23rd 03 06:24 AM
Glue blue poly tarp? Fred Williams Boat Building 9 July 12th 03 11:46 PM