Jeff Morris

Default have blue

So why would you put a "belt driven" alternator on a shaft that already has an
electric motor that can regenerate? And why only 6 amps at 12 volts?

The system I saw can charge 22 Amps at 144 Volts. The net efficiency was such
that they could power something like 1 hour for every 4 sailing. The battery
bank was good for around 4 hours of powering, and a 10kW genset could run it
fulltime (actually only running part-time to charge the batteries) with power
to spare. This was a 47 foot catamaran.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
ah, NO solar panels. I see. Just an alternator belted to the spinning prop
shaft puttin out maybe 6 amps.

So, let's add it up. 6 amps at 12 volts for 24 hours = 1,728 watts, which =
2.3 hp-hours.

But you need 20 hp for up to 20 hours, or 400 hp-hours, or about 300,000

watts,
which will take you approximately 173.611111 days sailing to produce.

You would also need battery capacity of 50,000 amps.

This is to motor not even 1 day.

I dunno, joony. you think it is doable?

Jaxass, looks like you can't read. I said, no solar panels. Not sure
where you got $40K either. You're proving yourself over and
over to be an idiot.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
let's see if I got this straight.

you guys are saying that between solar panals and a generator belted to

the
prop shaft you will have more than enough amps produced to drive a 20 hp
electric motor for up to several hours, and therefore the public is going

stampede the vendor to pay upwards of $40K for a motor, panals, a few

thousand
pounds of batteries all to avoid paying $8k for a diesel engine, plus

fuel.

boy, you guys sure do have dreams, don't you.

"Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

They're charged by the prop spinning while sailing.

This isn't the only one, but check this web site for more
info.

http://www.solomontechnologies.com/

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
ah, and the "batts" are charge how?