Jonathan Ganz

Default MacGregor 26M - Valiant 40

I'd say it's more like 75% the same. There are differences that appear to
make
it a better sailor.

"DSK" wrote in message
Jonathan Ganz wrote:

Not to trumpet the successful redesign of Mac's, but the M is nothing

like
the X. I have a friend who has one. I was not really all that

embarrassed to
climb aboard. :-)

It's not all that different. In fact the basic hull & deck molding appears

to be
99% identical. We have a couple of the new models at our marina. They

still
don't sail very well.

However, they are relatively inexpensive for their accomodation, and make

great boat-shaped camper trailer.

DSK

DSK

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

I'd say it's more like 75% the same. There are differences that appear to
make
it a better sailor.

I think they changed the deck & cockpit layout some, and improved the heck out
of the steering & rudders (which needed it badly... out my several friends who
owned one of these, *all* of them broke their steering at one point or another).
But I'd be surprised if the sailing performance has improved very much.

There's a much-ballyhoo'ed PHRF rating on them of around 215, which was given to
a Mac dealer on the Chesapeake who sailed it with 3 guys on trapezes, a masthead
spinnaker, and no water ballast. But the stock boat probably deserves a PHRf
rating around 300.

JAXAshby wrote:

For half of $30k one can buy a lot of fine, fine, fine used 26 foot sailboats.

Yep. But why compare the prices of *new* boats to *used* ones? Surely your MENSA
intellect can distinguish the difference?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

JAXAshby

why compare the prices of *new* boats to *used* ones?

value.

Surely your MENSA
intellect can distinguish the difference?

yup, value. compare a brand new Mac 26 at $30k to a used Buccaneer 26 for
$950. Much the same space inside. compare a brand new Mac 26 $30k to a used
Contessa 26 at $10k. The Contessa has crossed oceans and you have twenty grand
left over.

but some people want to buy new.

Bobsprit

But maybe $30K is a horrendous lot
of money to you, Jax?

It's a horendous amount for THAT boat. 30K can buy....

A J30 and a J24
Two Pearson 30s
A C&C 30 late model
A Catalina 30 late 80's
A Bristol 29.5

And so on....

RB

Bobsprit

None of those boats can do what the Mac can.

Let's not turn this into a silly debate. We all know what the Mac26x is and
that a great many buyers are probably never fully aware of how poor a boat it
really is.
True, I've only been aboard two and only spoke to three different owners, but
none of them were overly pleased with the boat. I'm sure some people love them,
just like my dad loved his AMC Pacer. But he never thought it was really a
"good" car.

RB
SAIL LOCO

There's a much-ballyhoo'ed PHRF rating on them of around 215, which was
given to
a Mac dealer on the Chesapeake who sailed it with 3 guys on trapezes, a
masthead
spinnaker, and no water ballast.

You must be refering to that wack job Jim down in Mayo.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"