Scott Vernon

Default MacGregor 26M - Valiant 40

Did you sail on it? Always thought that tiny wheel would be awkward.

Scotty

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Not to trumpet the successful redesign of Mac's, but the M is nothing like
the X. I have a friend who has one. I was not really all that embarrassed

climb aboard. :-)

"DSK" wrote in message
Sure it is... just one with a healthy dose of reality. The Mac26X (or

"M" if that's
what they are calling it now) PowR-SailR is a choice for people who

can't
make up
their minds and don't know much about either motorboats or sailing.

First
of all,
the advertising is very misleading. They will not go 24 mph under power,

unless you
either put a bigger motor than it's rated for (and crack the transom

open
in 1
season) or strip the boat of all extraneous weight like passengers,

cooler, mast,
etc etc. You're more likely to see 15 ~ 18 mph... which is still a lot

faster than
most sailboats can go in most conditions. But much slower than a real

motorboat,
and the PowR-SailR sails poorly at best... not enjoyable sport IMHO.

If the issue is distance to cover, then either get a boat to keep at a

marina
closer to good sailing grounds and drive 65mph to there, thus saving

large
amounts
of time... or get a trailerable boat that can be trailered (again at

65mph)... with
the benefit that you can take it other places as well.

If you're not sure if you like sailing enough to go to all that trouble,

you
probably won't. Get a motorboat (and this isn't intended as an insult,

because I
have a motorboat myself... along with three sailboats).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King