Jonathan Ganz

Default MacGregor 26M - Valiant 40

There aren't many owners who would contemplate opening
themselves up to ridicule. Even they are smarter than you.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Scott Vernon wrote:

Then why are you still here?

Because: there weren't very many owners of the
new 26M, and I thought I might get some further substantive information
from this group, which is larger than the Mac group. I'm remaining on
the ng because it's become increasingly obvious that many on this ng
have become opinionated, set in their ways and rigid in their views, and
because the ng needs some new insights and some contributors who are
willing to state and defend some differing points of view.

Jim

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Scott Vernon wrote:

Jimbo, did you ask your silly questions on the Mac list, like I

suggested?

SV

Yes. The great majority on the Mac lists have one of the the older
models. I did correspond with and speak with some 26M owners.

Jim

Jonathan Ganz

What is bass-ass? Is that an ugly fish?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Wally wrote:

Jim Cate wrote:

This isn't what happened at all. I posted my questions several times
on this an on the cruising ng and scanned the reponses for over a
month hoping to get some factual or substantive information regarding
the 26M. It was only after weeks of "Mac bashings" ...

What, you came into a sailing newsgroup to enquire about about a boat

you
knew little about, it's gets slagged off something rotten for a month...

...and then you go and *buy* one?

Nobody is that stupid.

You have it bass-ass backwards, Wally. I came onto this newsgroups
hoping to get some substantive, factual information. Instead, I found
out that most of the Mac-bashers have never sailed the current Mac 26,
and don't know what the hell they are talking about, yet despite this,
don't hesitate to pontificate and sneer and try to intimidate anyone who
likes the boat. This reveals to me that the Mac-bashers are either: (1)
stupid (2) incapable of rational thought, or (3) liar. In any event, it
put my mind at ease with respect to what I thought might be some
problems with the Mac, other than its inherent limitations that I
already knew. Thus, my decision was simplified, and I proceeded to
place my order. Because they are substantially sold out for the rest of
the summer, I'll be one of the fortunate few who will be able to take
delivery of this spectacular and innovated boat this season.

Jim

Jonathan Ganz

Wally, please don't be cruel to JHM.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Wally" wrote in message
Jim Cate wrote:

What's a "depth-knot"?

It tells me when we have "40-not" winds.

Where does the depth bit fit into this? Faceitiousness aside, what sort of
handling do you expect from the 26M in a 40kt wind? How much reef would

you
put in the main, and what size of jib would you use? How much heel would

you
expect when going to windward?

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Wally

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

Wally, please don't be cruel to JHM.

As a sweet, innocent, fresh-faced n00b, I'm interested in learning about
this sort of thing.

A couple of Sundays ago, we had some gusts on the Sonata I'm crewing on - no
reef, standard jib, at least 40 degrees of heel (the lee rail was dipping
under). Being a n00b, I didn't know what the windspeeds were until I read
the OOD's notes on the club web site, which calmly stated that they were
29-45kts. Damned excellent fun...

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Wally

katysails wrote:

So, when do you all guess Jim confesses he's really Bobsprit and that
he "won"?

He's claimed (twice in the same post) that he thinks it's okay to go take
his beginner's boat out in hurricanes - that's just about sufficiently far
from realistic for it to be Boobsie, so I've made my move. (I wonder how
many ASA points Joe will give me...)

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Jonathan Ganz

Yep, it's fun for a short period, then it gets old fast.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Wally" wrote in message
Jonathan Ganz wrote:

Wally, please don't be cruel to JHM.

As a sweet, innocent, fresh-faced n00b, I'm interested in learning about
this sort of thing.

A couple of Sundays ago, we had some gusts on the Sonata I'm crewing on -

no
reef, standard jib, at least 40 degrees of heel (the lee rail was dipping
under). Being a n00b, I didn't know what the windspeeds were until I read
the OOD's notes on the club web site, which calmly stated that they were
29-45kts. Damned excellent fun...

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com
www.wally.myby.co.uk/music

Martin Baxter

katysails wrote:
Jim claimed:
I'm not afraid to die.

Prove it.

Good Christian sentiment there Katy! ;-)

Cheers
Marty

Wally

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

Yep, it's fun for a short period, then it gets old fast.

It's been okay for the couple of hours round-the-cans racing we've been
doing. I can well imagine that it would get tedious on a longer sail.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Jonathan Ganz

Not only tedious, but increases the potential for failure of
boat parts and mistakes by the crew.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com