Jonathan Ganz

Default MacGregor 26M - Valiant 40

Total bs and, of course, a lie.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Alt.Sailing.Asa for some years now. It's up to you if you want to take

any
of
it seriously.

Which you are 85% responsible for yourself.

That's in the past. There are only a few trollers left in this NG now. I

was
not "warned by AOL" or contacted by them in any way. I just got stunningly
bored with it all; the same insults day after day. It was enough already.

RB

Jonathan Ganz

Default SPAM ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MacGregor 26M - Valiant 40

I would never confirm or deny it.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Spamming NG is frowned on, bob. You'd better hope Jon doesn't report you.

SV

"Bobsprit" wrote
Need any oars, Scotty? 20 bucks to Alt.Sailing.Asa members.

RB

Jonathan Ganz

Sure is... SOCKPUPPET ALERT. Danger Will Robinson.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
sniff, sniff.......kinda funny how 'Jim' and 'Bob' use the same phrases

and
misspell the same words.

SV

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Bobsprit wrote:
You need to read the notes you respond to more carefully. What I said

was:

Jim, while this group can offer valid and often helpful advice, they

soon tire
of a subject and turn to school yard in-fighting. It's been the nature

of
Alt.Sailing.Asa for some years now. It's up to you if you want to take

any of
it seriously.
The Mac line of power sailors is generally considered by MANY to be

ugly, cheap
and poor sailing boats. They are also expensive for what they are. I

was
aboard
a new M at the AC Boat show (I didn't even know it wasn't called the

26X
anymore). It was a laughable excuse for a power or sailboat. I was

told
it
could do nearly 25 knots, though 3 foot chop would cut that by a 3rd.

3rd?
Such a loss of performance from moderate chop is indicative of design

limits
too steep for my blood.
Few people, other than a Mac owner will encourage you to buy one.

While
it may
be the "best" compromise between power and sail, the trade offs are

downright
offensive to sailors. If you have sailed good sailboats, I seriously

think
you'll be dissapointed in the Mac and regret buying one.

Best of Luck,

Robert B
C&C 32, Alien
NY

Robert,
In any event, my notes apparently provide some entertainment value to
the group, since this seems to be one of the more active current
discussion topics. I was aware of the general reputation of the Mac
boats before posting my questions, but I was looking for information
about the new model, that includes significant mods that may have
resolved at least some of the limitations of previous models. Looking
for some "logical" and "rational" advice.

I appreciate your balanced and helpful comments. I'm aware that all
boats, including the Mac, would entail compromises for my particular
intended uses in the Galveston-Kemah environment. I'm not settled on a
trailorable boat, and there are lots of used, larger boats available in
our area. As mentioned previously, if I bought a fixed-keel boat I would
plan to leave it with a local charter company to minimize the time spent
in maintaining and checking on the boat. I wouldn't expect to get a
positive cash flow from the rentals, but my CPA mentioned that there may
be some tax benefits from such an arrangement. - It's largely a matter
of minimizing marina fees and being able to leave the boat with someone
who would keep an eye on it. I plan to meet with the charterer this
week and then check out some of the used boats they might accept.

Boats offered for sale in this area in the $20,000 - $30,000 price range
include 30 to 33-foot: Catalinas, S-2s, (older) Pearsons, Cals, C&Cs,
Siedlemanns, Hunters (nasty word - sorry), Columbias, Ericsons, and
several others that I wasn't familiar with. These boats vary in age
(1970 - 1985) and condition, but many of the ads claim that they have
been carefully maintained and upgraded. For more money, there are some
Tartans, O'Days, Sabres, Island Packets, etc. Although I would
obviously need to check out the condition and equipment of the boats and
obtain a survey if I were seriously considering one, do you have any
suggestions as to what to look for in this price range and venue?
Features that I think would be important a roller reefing and lines
led aft; wheel steering (required by the charter company); adequate sail
inventory in good condition; diesel engine in good condition; suitable
electronics; clean interior and recent bottom treatment; through-hull
valves, sump pumps, etc., in either new or good condition; no evidence
of water in the bilge; fun, fast, and exciting to sail, etc. For the
Houston weather, air conditioning would be nice, although few of the
boats also have an on-board generator to power it at anchor. Also, what
about one of the retractable-extendable keel boats, or the shoal draft
boats, for our shallow bay waters? - Would this mess up the offshore
sailing capabilities?

I would appreciate knowing what you and others recommend looking for
under these conditions and in this price range.

Jim

Bobsprit

It was originally intended to be a high quality, affordable boat.
It still is after 40 years.

No it wasn't.
No one in this newsgroup owns a high quality boat.

RB
JAXAshby

No one in this newsgroup owns a high quality boat.

Hey!! That's not true. *I* own an Achilles dinghy!!

Bobsprit

Hey!! That's not true. *I* own an Achilles dinghy!!

A very good dinghy.

RB
Scott Vernon

wrote

My particular boat would go for above the average due to extremely
good condition and equipment due to no sailing.

BB

Scott Vernon

Wait till his kid does a Google and finds out how much of an asshole his ol
man is.

SV

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Total bs and, of course, a lie.