Bobsprit

Default Lifelines

. . . or, perhaps better (if more expensively), have replaced the
cable/coated lifelines with now equally-strong Spectra or like lines -
right?

I've not seen this around here yet.

RB
Jonathan Ganz

A fishhook in an of itself, isn't a failure. Many people use them
to steady themselves when moving along the deck. I would prefer
to replace/inspect the lifelines as appropriate and in the mean time
not have cut fingers.

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:36:42 -0800, "Jonathan Ganz"
said:

The downside is that rust can develop
beneath the plastic which shortens the life of the lines, but then
you shouldn't be relying on them anyway. They're the grap of
last resort.

And your "grap" of last resort should have its fishooks covered up? Not

sure
I wouldn't prefer a cut finger to a lifeline that fails when needed.

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

Jonathan Ganz

Really? That's pretty standard information. They're about knee height as
well.
Not exactly the right height to prevent a fall.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
you shouldn't be relying on them anyway. They're the grap of
last resort.

Last resort? Don't rely on them?
I never heard anything like this before.

RB

Bobsprit

A fishhook in an of itself, isn't a failure.

Yes it is. It means part of the line has FAILED and the line is compromised
along with your ability to hold onto it.

RB
Dufus

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
........, but then
you shouldn't be relying on them anyway. They're the grap of
last resort.

Actually, lifelines are for snapping you harness on when you have to leave
the cockpit offshore. Errr, well, Bobsprit wouldn't have to ever worry
about that anyway so he may as well replace his plastic coated wire cables
with decorative goldtone cord.

JAXAshby

Actually, lifelines are for snapping you harness on when you have to leave
the cockpit offshore

nope. they are NOT.
Bobsprit

Really? That's pretty standard information.

Lifelines are very useful and important:
1) Working forward, stay low and they can and will catch you
2) If you take a fall from anywhere, accept over them, they can and will catch
you
3) Jacklines-part of the system.

You should expect to "rely" on lifelines. I've never heard or read anyone call
them a "last resort" and wouldn't treat them as such. I consider this an unsafe
philosophy. Like EVERY safety system on board they should be cared for as
PRIMARY safety gear. Do otherwise and you might regret it. I use my lifelines
FAR more often than my Fire Extiguisher (never used them actually), but I keep
the extinguishers updated as well.

RB
Bobsprit

Actually, lifelines are for snapping you harness on when you have to leave
the cockpit offshore

Oops. Try JACKLINES. See my other post on the importance of lifelines as
PRIMARY safety gear.

RB
Dufus

You are correct, I was wrong. Gee, I learned something today even if I did
get flamed for my ignorance.

wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:18:01 -0500, "Dufus" wrote:

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
........, but then
you shouldn't be relying on them anyway. They're the grap of
last resort.

Actually, lifelines are for snapping you harness on when you have to

leave
the cockpit offshore.

They are? That sounds like a very bad idea to me! I have jack lines
for that purpose.

BB

Jonathan Ganz

Well, you're wrong. It's that simple.

1) Working forward, one of course stays low, and low, they'll work fine.
They're not a substitute for acting responsibly on the bow.

2) They won't necessarily catch you. They'll break, especially under your
considerable weight. I've seen them break several times in the middle and
even more often at the gate.

3) Jacklines have nothing to do with lifelines. Jacklines will not (or
should
not break), and are used to keep you on the boat in rough conditions.

You should *never* rely on lifelines. And, who give a crap what you think.
If you treat lifelines as a last resort, you won't rely on them, as you
shouldn't
and you will rely on yourself to be low and balanced.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
[...]

Lifelines, slack or taught Parallax Cruising 4 March 2nd 04 03:31 PM
Bending stabchions ? Sven General 8 December 11th 03 02:23 PM
Lifelines Wally ASA 66 October 22nd 03 10:21 PM