Jonathan Ganz

Default Lifelines

It's compromised, but hasn't yet failed. I much rather have a cut than
fall in the water.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
A fishhook in an of itself, isn't a failure.

Yes it is. It means part of the line has FAILED and the line is

compromised
along with your ability to hold onto it.

RB

Jonathan Ganz

HUH? Are you crazy?? Perhaps you're talking about JACKLINES????

"Dufus" wrote in message
. ..

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
........, but then
you shouldn't be relying on them anyway. They're the grap of
last resort.

Actually, lifelines are for snapping you harness on when you have to leave
the cockpit offshore. Errr, well, Bobsprit wouldn't have to ever worry
about that anyway so he may as well replace his plastic coated wire cables
with decorative goldtone cord.

Jonathan Ganz

As do most real sailors. But, I think Dufus made a typo.

wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:18:01 -0500, "Dufus" wrote:

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
........, but then
you shouldn't be relying on them anyway. They're the grap of
last resort.

Actually, lifelines are for snapping you harness on when you have to

leave
the cockpit offshore.

They are? That sounds like a very bad idea to me! I have jack lines
for that purpose.

BB

Jonathan Ganz

They are primary safety gear, but they should be used as a LAST RESORT.
Sort of like an Epirb.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Actually, lifelines are for snapping you harness on when you have to

leave
the cockpit offshore

Oops. Try JACKLINES. See my other post on the importance of lifelines as
PRIMARY safety gear.

RB

John Cairns

I guess the name says it all, unless, of course, you want Bob to tether
himself to his "lifelines". The word you might be looking for is
"jacklines", lines that serve no other purpose than attachment points for
tethers.
John Cairns
"Dufus" wrote in message
. ..

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
........, but then
you shouldn't be relying on them anyway. They're the grap of
last resort.

Actually, lifelines are for snapping you harness on when you have to leave
the cockpit offshore. Errr, well, Bobsprit wouldn't have to ever worry
about that anyway so he may as well replace his plastic coated wire cables
with decorative goldtone cord.

John Cairns

So, when you go forward you crawl on your hands and knees? You really need
to spend some time offshore Bob.
John Cairns
"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Lifelines are very useful and important:
1) Working forward, stay low and they can and will catch you
2) If you take a fall from anywhere, accept over them, they can and will

catch you
RB

Jonathan Ganz

Actually, I've done that several times, even in the bay. It can get pretty
rough.
Certainly off the coast also.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Lifelines are very useful and important:
1) Working forward, stay low and they can and will catch you
2) If you take a fall from anywhere, accept over them, they can and will

catch you
RB

Jonathan Ganz

Umm... sorry, but I think I need an interpreter... what does
"I'm suggestion that that is a total non-sequitur" mean?

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:06:33 -0800, "Jonathan Ganz"
said:

It's compromised, but hasn't yet failed. I much rather have a cut than
fall in the water.

You'd probably prefer to be rich but happy rather than poor but unhappy

too.
(In case you missed it, I'm suggestion that that is a total non-sequitur)

Dave
S/V Good Fortune
CS27

Jonathan Ganz

Flamed? Nah, flamed would be something like "YOU STUPID F*CKING
ASSH*LE! GET OUT OF THIS NEWGROUP." :-)

"Dufus" wrote in message
.. .
You are correct, I was wrong. Gee, I learned something today even if I

did
get flamed for my ignorance.

wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:18:01 -0500, "Dufus" wrote:

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
........, but then
you shouldn't be relying on them anyway. They're the grap of
last resort.

Actually, lifelines are for snapping you harness on when you have to

leave
the cockpit offshore.

They are? That sounds like a very bad idea to me! I have jack lines
for that purpose.

BB

Lifelines, slack or taught Parallax Cruising 4 March 2nd 04 03:31 PM
Bending stabchions ? Sven General 8 December 11th 03 02:23 PM
Lifelines Wally ASA 66 October 22nd 03 10:21 PM