Sven

Default Bending stabchions ?

The stanchions on our new(old) boat are rock solid. The prior owners
must have known what they were doing and not hung fenders from the
lifelines or used the lifelines as seats or backrests !

Since the deck is sloped the stanchions tilt out about 15 degrees from
vertical. The tilt actually is more functional than vertical stanchions
would be as it keeps the stanchions from intruding on the deck workspace
when under sail, at a heel. However, they look kind of funky when the
boat is level. Vanity over practicality ... hmmmm

The question is if I should try to use a pipe bender to put an elbow in
the stanchions, just above the base, to make them stand up straight.

Decisions, decisions ...

Comments or prior experiences ?

-Sven
RG

If they are Stainless Steel ( what else? ) I'll bet you break an ordinary
pipe bender before you bend them. I have no real experience trying to bend
SS with a pipe bender, but I did have one
SS grab rail that was bent by a former owner ( I don't know how! ) and I
had to use a very long lever to just get it coaxed back to where it
belonged. RG

"Sven" wrote in message
news
The stanchions on our new(old) boat are rock solid. The prior owners
must have known what they were doing and not hung fenders from the
lifelines or used the lifelines as seats or backrests !

Since the deck is sloped the stanchions tilt out about 15 degrees from
vertical. The tilt actually is more functional than vertical stanchions
would be as it keeps the stanchions from intruding on the deck workspace
when under sail, at a heel. However, they look kind of funky when the
boat is level. Vanity over practicality ... hmmmm

The question is if I should try to use a pipe bender to put an elbow in
the stanchions, just above the base, to make them stand up straight.

Decisions, decisions ...

Comments or prior experiences ?

-Sven

Steve

I strongly recomment that you not bend the stanchions.. That would weaken
them..

The proper way to deal with the problem you relate, is to shim the stanchion
bases to compensate for the angle..

My stanchions are attached to the 6" bullwark and each base has a fitted
wedge behind it to bring the stanchion to a vertical..

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Bill Andersen

....as for hanging fenders from the stanchions; hanging them from the base,
where fastened to the deck, minimizes stress. Hanging fenders from the rail
or the top of the stanchion places stress on the stanchion and can cause the
stanchions to bend.

"Sven" wrote in message
news
The stanchions on our new(old) boat are rock solid. The prior owners
must have known what they were doing and not hung fenders from the
lifelines or used the lifelines as seats or backrests !

Since the deck is sloped the stanchions tilt out about 15 degrees from
vertical. The tilt actually is more functional than vertical stanchions
would be as it keeps the stanchions from intruding on the deck workspace
when under sail, at a heel. However, they look kind of funky when the
boat is level. Vanity over practicality ... hmmmm

The question is if I should try to use a pipe bender to put an elbow in
the stanchions, just above the base, to make them stand up straight.

Decisions, decisions ...

Comments or prior experiences ?

-Sven

DSK

Sven wrote:

The stanchions on our new(old) boat are rock solid. The prior owners
must have known what they were doing and not hung fenders from the
lifelines or used the lifelines as seats or backrests !

hmmm... I tend to think that I know what I'm doing, and often hang fenders
from lifelines or use the lifelines as a backrest. Using it as a seat sounds
very uncomfortable.

If your lifelines and stanchions are not strong enough to hold up a fender,
or to be leaned against, then how are they going to be strong enough to keep
you on the boat when you really need them?

Since the deck is sloped the stanchions tilt out about 15 degrees from
vertical. The tilt actually is more functional than vertical stanchions
would be as it keeps the stanchions from intruding on the deck workspace
when under sail, at a heel.

15 degrees? Are you sure? That's a lot of angle. Many boats have the
lifeline stanchions angled outboard somewhat but the most I've seen is like
5 degrees max.

The question is if I should try to use a pipe bender to put an elbow in
the stanchions, just above the base, to make them stand up straight.

No. You definitely should not do this.

For one thing, you will stress the heck out of the stanchion bases. For
another, you will weaken the stanchion at the bend. For a third, if the
outboard angle is so practical, why do you want to change it?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Sven

In article ,
DSK wrote:

If your lifelines and stanchions are not strong enough to hold up a fender,
or to be leaned against, then how are they going to be strong enough to keep
you on the boat when you really need them?

They won't be strong enough after 100s or 1000s of cycles of 100s or
1000s of lbs being applied. As mentioned earlier, a stanchion base is
fine, a lifeline is not.

-Sven
DSK

Sven wrote:
They won't be strong enough after 100s or 1000s of cycles of 100s or
1000s of lbs being applied.

Why not? The mast & rigging go thru even more tension & cyclic loading.

As mentioned earlier, a stanchion base is
fine, a lifeline is not.

Perhaps you misconstrue my statement above. A lifeline is very handy for hanging a
fender but I am not advocating hanging one there for long term use. Often there is
not a stanchion base or other deck fitting at a place where a fender is needed in
the immediate future. Then after everything is settled, you can run a line between
stanchion bases or chainplates or whatever and hang the fender from that.

But if you are putting your fenders under 1,000# of stress 1,000s of times, then
you're doing something wrong anyway IMHO.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Sven

In article ,
DSK wrote:

A lifeline is very handy for hanging a fender but I am not
advocating hanging one there for long term use.

And you can use a CD tray as a cup holder.

-Sven
DSK

Sven wrote:

And you can use a CD tray as a cup holder.

Not after you use a pipe bender on it.

DSK