Scott Vernon

Default Lifelines

Jon, you're talking to a buffoon that leaves fenders lying on deck. Don't
waste your time.

SV

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
And, I'm saying that relying on lifelines is foolhardy. One should rely
on oneself. That includes making sure the lifelines are in proper order.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Sorry, but how does one tell in advance on someone else's boat whether
or not a lifeline is "proper"?

I'm not talking about risks associated with "someone else's boat." Lots

of
people take risks and let their gear decay.
I'm talking about the lifelines on my last two boats, which were/are

sound.

RB

Scott Vernon

Then why don't you ask them and leave us alone?

SV

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Nobody has "pulled off" the plastic. You have to get new lifelines made

that
way.

Not correct. I know of several boats where they simply removed the

covering.

RB

Scott Vernon

"Donal" wrote in message

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
jonny, it means you didn't understand the context of the sentence,

therefore
the substitution of one letter for another and the elimination of a

third
letter in a message of maybe ninety letters has left you completely

baffled.

Rubbish!

May be, but it's classic Jax.

John Cairns

Bob, you miss a very important point. Lifelines won't keep you attached to
your boat. A jackline, tether and harness WILL. Lifelines aren't designed to
keep you attached to your boat. Jacklines, tethers and harnesses are. Maybe
the usage thing is bothering you. You said lifelines are "important" bits of
safety equipment, I disagreed and still do with the word "important". I
can't think of a real good example, but I'll try this. If you were to go
offshore, a liferaft would be an "important" piece of safety equipment, an
inflatable dinghy would not.
John Cairns
"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Bottom line, it is a serious mistake to rely
on lifelines to keep you on a sailboat, even in moderate conditions. If
lifelines were an important safety feature there wouldn't be such a thing

as
jacklines.

By that measure, if jacklines were an important safety feature there

wouldn't
be such a think as lifelines...or flare guns for that matter.
All safety gear works together and ALL of it is VERY important.

RB

SAIL LOCO

Not correct. I know of several boats where they simply removed the
covering.

I would guess that's the way they do it in that ghetto marina you are in.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
Horvath

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:23:30 -0800, "Jonathan Ganz"
wrote this crap:

And, you now claim that SS doesn't rust??

Mine don't.

"Horvath" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:36:42 -0800, "Jonathan Ganz"
wrote this crap:

That's stupid. The plastic protects the sails from chafe and the
hands from fishhooks. The downside is that rust can develop
beneath the plastic which shortens the life of the lines, but then
you shouldn't be relying on them anyway. They're the grap of
last resort.

Rust? Mine are stainless steel, dumbass.

This signature is now the ultimate power in the universe
John Cairns

But, most of us don't race offshore.And most of don't have boats equipped to
offshore specs. And, there was one recent example of a noted racer on the
East Coast, who got coshed on the head by a spinnaker pole, went overboard
and drowned, in spite of those all-important lifelines.There was talk
afterwards about requiring auto pfds but nothing mentioned about modifying
lifelines. I think the folks that write these regulations know that the
lifelines will only prevent someone from going over under optimum
conditions, a conscious, mobile person can grab something before they go.
http://www.sailing.org/offshore/2004...egulations.pdf

http://www.heathcote.co.za/archive/ssn155.htm
A link to the story, and again, in the aftermath, nothing about making
lifelines an "important" piece of mandatory safety equipment, just talk
about the pfd's, one other bit about mandating helmets. So again, I would
guess it would be how you define important. The regulations speak of
lifelines forming an "effectively continuous barrier around a working deck
for man overboard prevention" but I wouldn't stake my life on it. BTW, if
you read an earlier post I mentioned an incident last summer where I almost
got washed overboard, I ended up hanging over the side underneath the
intermediate lifeline with the water nearly up to my crotch. The stanchion
prevented me from going overboard because I grabbed it. If I hadn't been
able to grab it I probably would have gone overboard. And I doubt if Bob's
boat is built to those offshore specs either. It's all just semantics, I
reckon.
John Cairns
OzOne wrote in message ...
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:22:10 -0500, "John Cairns"
scribbled thusly:

Bob, you miss a very important point. Lifelines won't keep you attached

your boat. A jackline, tether and harness WILL. Lifelines aren't designed

keep you attached to your boat. Jacklines, tethers and harnesses are.

Maybe
the usage thing is bothering you. You said lifelines are "important" bits

of
safety equipment, I disagreed and still do with the word "important". I
can't think of a real good example, but I'll try this. If you were to go
offshore, a liferaft would be an "important" piece of safety equipment,

an
inflatable dinghy would not.
John Cairns

Hmmm and if you were sailing on your local pond in conditions that did
not warrant wearing a harness, slipped and would have fallen over the
side without lifelines, would you then regard the lifelines as
"important" pieces of safety equipment.

Before you answer, note that a huge number of deaths from dropping
over the side are of unconscious crew who drown before retrieval and
that to race offshore you must have lifelines to the stage that their
construction is regulated.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

John Cairns

Stainless will corrode in anaerobic environment. Stainless steel
lifelines+dirt+plastic cover+moisture=anaerobic environment.
http://bosunsupplies.com/Corrosion.cfm
Read the fourth paragraph. Might take longer in fresh water, but there it
is.
John Cairns

wrote this crap:

That's stupid. The plastic protects the sails from chafe and the
hands from fishhooks. The downside is that rust can develop
beneath the plastic which shortens the life of the lines, but then
you shouldn't be relying on them anyway. They're the grap of
last resort.

Rust? Mine are stainless steel, dumbass.

This signature is now the ultimate power in the universe

Lifelines, slack or taught Parallax Cruising 4 March 2nd 04 03:31 PM
Bending stabchions ? Sven General 8 December 11th 03 02:23 PM
Lifelines Wally ASA 66 October 22nd 03 10:21 PM