Jonathan Ganz

Default Lifelines

Well, you're wrong. It's that simple.

1) Working forward, one of course stays low, and low, they'll work fine.
They're not a substitute for acting responsibly on the bow.

2) They won't necessarily catch you. They'll break, especially under your
considerable weight. I've seen them break several times in the middle and
even more often at the gate.

3) Jacklines have nothing to do with lifelines. Jacklines will not (or
should
not break), and are used to keep you on the boat in rough conditions.

You should *never* rely on lifelines. And, who give a crap what you think.
If you treat lifelines as a last resort, you won't rely on them, as you
shouldn't
and you will rely on yourself to be low and balanced.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Really? That's pretty standard information.

Lifelines are very useful and important:
1) Working forward, stay low and they can and will catch you
2) If you take a fall from anywhere, accept over them, they can and will

catch
you
3) Jacklines-part of the system.

You should expect to "rely" on lifelines. I've never heard or read anyone

call
them a "last resort" and wouldn't treat them as such. I consider this an

unsafe
philosophy. Like EVERY safety system on board they should be cared for as
PRIMARY safety gear. Do otherwise and you might regret it. I use my

lifelines
FAR more often than my Fire Extiguisher (never used them actually), but I

keep
the extinguishers updated as well.

RB