Bobsprit

Default Flying TVs at Sea!!!!

No. Not always. It's easy to say "always," "never," and other absolutes.
You're really GREAT at winning this kind of argument.

Actually, it was Remco who made the absolute statement. I merely said that the
modern blue water could certainly afford to carry a TV these days with little
trouble. I dare say some blue water sailors might enjoy classic or modern
cinema. These days you can carry a flat screen set and 100 movies in a thick
wallet.
Remco is thinking of big TVs and VHS machines. He's clearly an older fella as
is Marty.

RB
Bobsprit

Why don't you just use your laptop... or do you need that big-boat feel?
I think the new Queen Mary would suit you fine!

We do use the laptop at anchor. Uses less power and actually has the bigger
screen.

RB
Jeff Morris

Your theory sounds good, but I think its just a matter of preference. The
people that don't like TV won't have one on board. Most of the cruisers on
larger boats that I've met have one, if only for occasional use.

BTW, the liveaboards that I bought the TV from cruise Nova Scotia in the Summer,
sometimes going to Newfoundland. In the winter they normally hang out in SC, but
sometimes they go to FL or the Bahamas. Almost all of this time is at anchor,
and they've been doing it for most of the last 25 years.

"John Cairns" wrote in message

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
Like I said, if this is your annual vacation, you probably want to

"vacate." If
this is your life, you might want to watch the morning weather and news.

The TV
I'm watching now I bought from a liveaboard who needed a different model

to fit
with a VCR in a locker.

We never mentioned "liveaboard", which carries with it completely different
nuances than "long distance cruiser". Even in these parts, we have
year-round liveaboards, one of whom even has dish-tv. Thing is, like many
liveaboards, he rarely goes anywhere on his boat, he just uses the boat as
his living quarters. Of course, by definition, long distance cruisers are
"liveaboards", but they sail their boats to different locations. The
difference is important, IMHO. If you're just living aboard and staying put,
you would probably load your boat down with as many creature comforts as
possible, if you spend most of your time traveling from place to place your
priorities would probably be somewhat different.
John Cairns

Bobsprit

Tell you what, planning a little bareboating excursion to the Leewards in
the next month or so, where I'm sure I should run into a fair number of
"long distance cruisers".

Sure, John, give it a try. I expect you'll find at least a few sailors who are
also film fans and have some sort of system on board.

RB
Bobsprit

You guys are missing the point. Dumbco made an absolute statement, He said blue
water sailors don't carry TVs. He's wrong. Some do. Whether they want to screen
their own videos, watch porn, view classic films or watch the local news,
there's no great penalty in carry such a system if it's what you want.

As usual, I'm on topic and right.

RB

Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
It's been suggested by a few idiots that a TV had now place on a modern

crusing
boat.

Now I'm no long range cruiser, but facts are facts!

Absolutely correct. You are no "long range cruiser". You are, also, not
a "medium range cruiser".
Furthermore, you are not a "short range cruiser".

Calling yourself a day-sailor is an insult to all the day-sailors who
venture out of sight of land.

Space: Have you guys ever heard of "flat screen TV?" Uses little power and
takes up even less space.

Yup! I have one in my living room. It doesn't save as much space as I
had hoped.

Safety: A properly mounted TV won't fly around in bad weather or a

knockdown.
Power: Many long distance cruisers now carry nice laptops in addition to

the
standard charts. These laptops can treat the cruiser to a movie now and

again
with almost no power penalty.

That is really sad. Really. Honestly.

The fact is that TV has become a no-brainer for easy entertainment on many

cruising boat, espcially in recent years with flat panel displays.

Couldn't you find something to talk about, instead? It seems that you
(plural) would prefer to "be entertained" than to have to talk to each
other. Funny! One of the great things about a cruise, is that it really
brings the family togrether. You end up playing Scrabble, having
discussions, and generally enjoying *companionship*. These are probably
alien concepts for a New Yorker - and you have my deepest sympathy. I
would really hate to be what you are.

I guess that I am lucky, huh?

Anyone who
says otherwise is living in the past and hasn't read websites showing

today's
cruisers and what they carry. Books, music? Of course! But a TV can be a

great
treat for those aboard and doesn't need to stay home anymore.

It's probably more of a treat for those who have nothing to say to each
other, but would like to keep a physical relationship alive just so that
they can feel important.

Wake up and smell the 80's, kids. They've ended...long ago!

Let's welcome in "consumer relationships". eh?

Let's enjoy a "responsibility free" life until the relentless advance of
years triggers an enormous panic, and then we will get married. Let me tell
you, it doesn't work like that.

Regards

Donal

Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I have observed that Boob comes close to appoplexia when this
group threatens to ignore hime.

That's a good one! When has this group of failures EVER come close to

ignoring
me. You can't do it. No NOW. Not EVER.

Yes we can.

Wanna issue a challenge?

How about - you defy us to ignore you for a week?

That *would* be fun.

Regards

Donal

Bobsprit

Calling yourself a day-sailor is an insult to all the day-sailors who
venture out of sight of land.

Off topic again, Donal. Wanna join the thread or make silly trolls?

RB
Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Calling yourself a day-sailor is an insult to all the day-sailors who
venture out of sight of land.

Off topic again, Donal. Wanna join the thread or make silly trolls?

Silly trolls, please!

Now, please tell us about your "out of sight of land" trips.

You can't, can you?

What a wimp! Keep eating the lentils!

Regards

Donal

John Cairns

I'm sure I will.
John Cairns
"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Tell you what, planning a little bareboating excursion to the Leewards in
the next month or so, where I'm sure I should run into a fair number of
"long distance cruisers".

Sure, John, give it a try. I expect you'll find at least a few sailors who

are
also film fans and have some sort of system on board.

RB

Flying Flags -- Properly anchorlt Cruising 14 June 16th 04 03:41 AM
Logo contest! Skip Gundlach Cruising 25 June 1st 04 08:56 PM
( OT ) WHY DID ASHCROFT STOP FLYING COMMERCIAL AIRLINES PRIOR TO 9/11? Jim General 0 April 13th 04 05:22 PM
FS: Flying Scot sn#2931 1077 in Cincinnati,OH RLSparks Marketplace 0 November 21st 03 05:00 PM
Flying for the NWS JaxAshby ASA 4 August 15th 03 10:12 PM