Joe

Default Best Liveaboard

The_navigator© wrote in message ...
Worried about the skin thickness?

No more curious than anything. Starting to think about having the
boat sandblasted and met-coated some day. I figure I have 4-5 hundred
pounds of paint on the boat. Original it was black when it was based
in the North Sea, Than it was gray, than blue now Red with yellow
trim. Underneath the original black is 5 mil coat of Red Lead, the
reason Ive never stripped her.

How many chips and scratches do you have in your fragile gel-coat?

Forgotten to replace all those anodes

I replaced them 3 years ago at last haul out, and they have barely
been affected, I dive the boat every quarter and check them out . How
about your plastic boat, How many androids do you have?.

I have six- 2-15 pound tear shaped by the bow on the keel, 2 - 20lb
bricks on the each side of the stern area of the keel and two tear
shaped 5 pounders on the rudder.

again?

Only the second time in 10 years.

Have you checked out to see how many osomosis blisters your boat has?

Did you pop them all, or just let em keep swelling up like the zits on
your face?

Joe
MSV RedCloud Free of SOFT SPOTS.

Cheers MC

Joe wrote:

"Simple Simon" wrote in message ...

Red Cloud - a particularly apt name for a steel boat.

Always surrounded by a cloud of red rust.

S.Simon

Perhaps that is true on any steel hull that you would maintain.

However Redcloud has an average of approx. 20 mils of paint. 13 mils
on the cabins 27 mils on the decks and 23 mils on the hulls. Applied
by a master steel preservation expert.....me.

I measured it just yesterday with my handy dandy Mikrotest Magnetic
Gage made in Germany by Elektrophysik-Koln.

Have you gauged the size of those blisters on your flimsy hull lately?

Joe
MSV RedCloud

"Joe" wrote in message om...

(Bobsprit) wrote in message ...

What's a few best liveaboard sailing vessels, under 55 feet and under 300K on
the used market?

Capt RB

I would build a steel hull like this one:

http://www.sailinglinks.com/images/RedCloud.jpg

Sleeps six, but perfect for 2 to live on. Strong enough that even you
will feel safe out in the deep water. Long cruising range, room for a
party in the cockpit and you all stay dry. Small enough to single
hand, yet large enough to be comfortable.

You can also buy some nice kits from Bruce Roberts.

Here in the marina is a sweet 62 foot aluminum ketch, But it's 335K.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Simple Simon

Real nice - 500 pounds of paint and all those zincs to
bother with. Ya gotta just love steel. Probably has
a nice layer of rust working under all that cosmetic
paint.

I use NO zincs on my GRP boat and it has NO blisters.
It probably has about ten pounds of Dupont Imron paint
on the topsides.

Bwahahahahahaha!

S.Simon - very few chips and scratches because I stay
far away from docks.

"Joe" wrote in message om...

(Bobsprit) wrote in message ...

What's a few best liveaboard sailing vessels, under 55 feet and under 300K on
the used market?

Capt RB

I would build a steel hull like this one:

http://www.sailinglinks.com/images/RedCloud.jpg

Sleeps six, but perfect for 2 to live on. Strong enough that even you
will feel safe out in the deep water. Long cruising range, room for a
party in the cockpit and you all stay dry. Small enough to single
hand, yet large enough to be comfortable.

You can also buy some nice kits from Bruce Roberts.

Here in the marina is a sweet 62 foot aluminum ketch, But it's 335K.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Pockets of Resistance

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:49:37 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

Red Cloud - a particularly apt name for a steel boat.

Always surrounded by a cloud of red rust.

S.Simon

I used to live aboard a steel boat.* As long as you keep up with the
painting, it's no big deal. You can run one into things that will
just give it a dent, where a fiberglass, wood, or (shudder) cement
boat will hole.

Steel is a wonderful material out of which to build a boat. I'm truly
surprised that there are not more of them. There must be some kind of
manufacturing challenge involved, but you have to wonder how Kaiser
managed to turn out Liberty Ships at the rate of one a day were that
true.

*OK, it was a destroyer tender, and we had 800 crewmen maintaining
her, but still.
Lady Pilot

"The_navigator©" wrote:

Nice? Marvellous! Beautiful! Excellent! MC goes off mumbling...

Well, I could have said all those things, but my opinion doesn't hold
any merit, because I'm not a sailor. Don't be so stinkin'
sensitive... :-)

LP

Lady Pilot wrote:

You have a nice boat, Nav...

The_navigator©

A window of that area in 1/4 lexan look woefully under strength. When a
big wave hits it will pop out. You need storm shutters...

My cat's flip alol the time. They've never need a carne to right them as
they do it themselves.

Cheers MC

Joe wrote:
The_navigator© wrote in message ...

Don't take her into the ocean. Those huge 'windows' won't make it.

Cheers MC

To late, RedCloud made it across the Atlantic 3 times, And thats when
the windows were glass. Now they are 1/4 inch lexan.

Dont take that dangerious Cat of yours to far from a crane. YOU WILL
NEED IT WHEN YOU FLIP OVER.

Joe

Joe wrote:

(Bobsprit) wrote in message ...

What's a few best liveaboard sailing vessels, under 55 feet and under 300K on
the used market?

Capt RB

I would build a steel hull like this one:

http://www.sailinglinks.com/images/RedCloud.jpg

Sleeps six, but perfect for 2 to live on. Strong enough that even you
will feel safe out in the deep water. Long cruising range, room for a
party in the cockpit and you all stay dry. Small enough to single
hand, yet large enough to be comfortable.

You can also buy some nice kits from Bruce Roberts.

Here in the marina is a sweet 62 foot aluminum ketch, But it's 335K.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

The_navigator©

Joe wrote:

The_navigator© wrote in message ...

Worried about the skin thickness?

No more curious than anything. Starting to think about having the
boat sandblasted and met-coated some day. I figure I have 4-5 hundred
pounds of paint on the boat. Original it was black when it was based
in the North Sea, Than it was gray, than blue now Red with yellow
trim. Underneath the original black is 5 mil coat of Red Lead, the
reason Ive never stripped her.

That'll make nice pock marks when she blisters and she will...

How many chips and scratches do you have in your fragile gel-coat?

Several but they only take 15 minutes to repair and polish out once a year.

Forgotten to replace all those anodes

I replaced them 3 years ago at last haul out, and they have barely
been affected, I dive the boat every quarter and check them out . How
about your plastic boat, How many androids do you have?.

I have six- 2-15 pound tear shaped by the bow on the keel, 2 - 20lb
bricks on the each side of the stern area of the keel and two tear
shaped 5 pounders on the rudder.

again?

Only the second time in 10 years.

Have you checked out to see how many osomosis blisters your boat has?

Did you pop them all, or just let em keep swelling up like the zits on
your face?

No blisters on Ella and she's been in the water 16 years. If she doesn't
have them now she never will as her resin is certainly in equilibrium.
Of course she is a resin rich boat with vinyl ester...

I hope you look forward to the major repaint coming your way to cover up
the rust! How many dents in the hull do you have?

Cheers MC

The_navigator©

But he's sitting on a compost heap!

Cheers MC

Capt. Mooron wrote:

Yeah but Cappy has his own garden growing along the waterline. You know how
relaxing it is to tend to your garden.

CM

Simple Simon

I was reading up on GRP the other day and found out
one startling fact: the vibration of diesel engines hastens
the softening of the laminate. This isn't something I'm
making up because I don't have a diesel. Somebody
over at uk.rec.sailing posted a link to the ultimate
blister site and I read it there.

S.Simon

wrote:

Red Cloud - a particularly apt name for a steel boat.

Always surrounded by a cloud of red rust.

S.Simon

I used to live aboard a steel boat.* As long as you keep up with the
painting, it's no big deal. You can run one into things that will
just give it a dent, where a fiberglass, wood, or (shudder) cement
boat will hole.

Steel is a wonderful material out of which to build a boat. I'm truly
surprised that there are not more of them. There must be some kind of
manufacturing challenge involved, but you have to wonder how Kaiser
managed to turn out Liberty Ships at the rate of one a day were that
true.

*OK, it was a destroyer tender, and we had 800 crewmen maintaining
her, but still.

katysails

Dont take that dangerious Cat of yours to far from a crane. YOU WILL
NEED IT WHEN YOU FLIP OVER.

Why are you calling Ella Vuela a cat? She's a monohull...I think you're =
confusing people and their boats...

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse