Simple Simon

Default Best Liveaboard

I was reading up on GRP the other day and found out
one startling fact: the vibration of diesel engines hastens
the softening of the laminate. This isn't something I'm
making up because I don't have a diesel. Somebody
over at uk.rec.sailing posted a link to the ultimate
blister site and I read it there.

S.Simon

"The_navigator©" wrote in message ...
That may not be true. Glass boats bounce! You have to deflect the
laminate a huge distnce before it breaks.

Cheers MC

Pockets of Resistance wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:49:37 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

Red Cloud - a particularly apt name for a steel boat.

Always surrounded by a cloud of red rust.

S.Simon

I used to live aboard a steel boat.* As long as you keep up with the
painting, it's no big deal. You can run one into things that will
just give it a dent, where a fiberglass, wood, or (shudder) cement
boat will hole.

Steel is a wonderful material out of which to build a boat. I'm truly
surprised that there are not more of them. There must be some kind of
manufacturing challenge involved, but you have to wonder how Kaiser
managed to turn out Liberty Ships at the rate of one a day were that
true.

*OK, it was a destroyer tender, and we had 800 crewmen maintaining
her, but still.