Glen \Wiley\ Wilson

Default Liveaboard marinas LI Sound

I'm contemplating a job in White Plains NY. I currently liveaboard
here in Florida and would like to continue doing so. Taking into
account commutes, liveaboard policy, and good sailing waters, where
should I be looking?

Thanks;

Glen
Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 23:25:49 GMT, "Glen \"Wiley\" Wilson"
wrote:

I'm contemplating a job in White Plains NY. I currently liveaboard
here in Florida and would like to continue doing so. Taking into
account commutes, liveaboard policy, and good sailing waters, where
should I be looking?

There are marinas in New Rochelle that allow live-aboards. I don't
know which ones do, but at least one. I just can't remember the name.

City Island is another possibility. Consolidated is a big one there. I
stayed overnight there last year and I seem to remember liveaboards,
although I can't swear to it.

I think you can write off Mamaroneck, Rye, and Larchmont for
liveaboard.

All those are on Long Island Sound. You should be there if you want
casual PHRF racing, or serious racing, for that matter. The sound is
also advantageous if you want to cruise in New England on vacations,
just because you are starting close.

If racing is no concern, you might enjoy the Hudson River, which is
plaenty wide enough to tack in, and has some gorgeous scenery. In that
case, Croton, Ossining, and Tarrytown might suit. I don't know what
rules there are about liveaboards there.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you

Wayne.B

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:19:03 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
wrote:
There are marinas in New Rochelle that allow live-aboards. I don't
know which ones do, but at least one. I just can't remember the name.

City Island is another possibility. Consolidated is a big one there. I
stayed overnight there last year and I seem to remember liveaboards,
although I can't swear to it.

====================================

Wright's Island marina in New Rochelle has many liveaboards. It is
well protected and has plenty of parking. It would be about a 30
minute commute to White Plains by car (the only real option that makes
sense).

Most of the City Island marinas are exposed to storm winds from one
direction or another. City Island however has bus service that
connects to the NYC subway system. That would be a long commute but
it's doable. Driving would be much faster at 35 to 40 minutes.

Wayne.B

wrote:
I'm contemplating a job in White Plains NY. I currently liveaboard
here in Florida and would like to continue doing so. Taking into
account commutes, liveaboard policy, and good sailing waters, where
should I be looking?

You might take a look at Yacht Haven marina in Stamford or Schooner
Cove marina (may not be the exact name). It would be an easy commute
to White Plains from there, and Stamford is a good harbor.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:
There are marinas in New Rochelle that allow live-aboards. I don't
know which ones do, but at least one. I just can't remember the name.

City Island is another possibility. Consolidated is a big one there. I
stayed overnight there last year and I seem to remember liveaboards,
although I can't swear to it.

====================================

Wright's Island marina in New Rochelle has many liveaboards. It is
well protected and has plenty of parking. It would be about a 30
minute commute to White Plains by car (the only real option that makes
sense).

Most of the City Island marinas are exposed to storm winds from one
direction or another. City Island however has bus service that
connects to the NYC subway system. That would be a long commute but
it's doable. Driving would be much faster at 35 to 40 minutes.

Very good point about the storm exposure at City Island. Consolidated
would not be the place to be in a winter northeaster. There is a
marina on the west side of the island between the causeway and Harlem
YC. THat would probably be better for storms.

The marina in New Rochelle I was thinking of is very much inside and
sheltered. It may be the same one you mentioned.