DSK

Default I'm gonna do it

Simple Simon wrote:

... There is no reason in the world
you cannot do your own survey and do a better job
at it than paying some idiot who really doesn't give
a flying crap about your boat.

Agreed. In your case, an idiot who doesn't know crap about boats surveyed your boat, which is a piece of crap. That's why
you're the Crapton...

DSK

Jonathan Ganz

Right up until the surveyor finds something Steve missed,
then it becomes a very smart move indeed.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

Dumb waste of money!

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message

Smart move.

"Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:10:34 -0400, something compelled
"katysails" , to say:

There is some ugly goop around all of the
lifeline stanchions

Warning! Warning! Warning! (as the robot said to Will Robinson...)

Get a
moisture meter if you're not going to get a survey...bad gook almost

always
means bad leaks, which mweans bad deck....

I've decided to get a survey.

Jonathan Ganz

BS... found way more than any of us would have found in the
short time we had while it was on the hard.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
news
Waste of money!

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message

How much are they charging you? We just had one... $12/foot.

"Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:10:34 -0400, something compelled
"katysails" , to say:

There is some ugly goop around all of the
lifeline stanchions

Warning! Warning! Warning! (as the robot said to Will Robinson...)

Get a
moisture meter if you're not going to get a survey...bad gook almost

always
means bad leaks, which mweans bad deck....

I've decided to get a survey.

Jonathan Ganz

For someone who has hours and days on their hands, you'd
be right. However, if you're limited by how long the boat can
be on the lift, a surveyor will do a better job in a shorter amount
of time.

You are the putz.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Yet another ignorant failure!

That's right, failure. There is no reason in the world
you cannot do your own survey and do a better job
at it than paying some idiot who really doesn't give
a flying crap about your boat.

Get your lazy ass of the the library or get on the
Internet and do some reading. That's all it takes -
a little education.

Geez what PUTZES we have calling themselves
sailors these days.

S.Simon

"Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam" wrote in message

news
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:10:34 -0400, something compelled
"katysails" , to say:

There is some ugly goop around all of the
lifeline stanchions

Warning! Warning! Warning! (as the robot said to Will Robinson...) Get

a moisture meter if you're not going to get a
survey...bad gook almost always means bad leaks, which mweans bad deck....

I've decided to get a survey.

Simple Simon

So tell me please how smart it is to pay somebody
200 or 300 bucks so you end up buying nothing at all
but a service you must pay for again on the next boat?

That's if there's a huge problem you overlooked yourself
which is not likely for any sailor with eyes, ears and a brain.

If no problems are found then you've also thrown away
200 to 300 bucks.

Sounds pretty stupid to me.

S.Simon

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Right up until the surveyor finds something Steve missed,
then it becomes a very smart move indeed.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

Dumb waste of money!

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message

Smart move.

"Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam" wrote in message
news On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:10:34 -0400, something compelled
"katysails" , to say:

There is some ugly goop around all of the
lifeline stanchions

Warning! Warning! Warning! (as the robot said to Will Robinson...)

Get a
moisture meter if you're not going to get a survey...bad gook almost

always
means bad leaks, which mweans bad deck....

I've decided to get a survey.

Jonathan Ganz

Because of the time fact involved in finding the "huge
problem." Sure, if I have days or even hours to go
over the boat, I might find it, assuming I know all the
warning signs of all the possible problems. Unfortunately,
most boat yards won't let you leave the boat on the lift
for hours. If they put it on blocks, you have to pay per
foot for the day.

Sounds pretty smart to me, especially if you're talking about
several thousand $$ for a boat that needs major work.

[...]

Pockets of Resistance

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:52:44 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

That's right, failure. There is no reason in the world
you cannot do your own survey and do a better job
at it than paying some idiot who really doesn't give
a flying crap about your boat.

I guess it was only a matter of time until I received the same
invective you heap onto everyone else.

Been nice chatting with you, wish you all the best in the future.
Donal

"Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:46:48 -0400, something compelled "Simple
Simon" , to say:

Bologna! One does not need a professional survey on an old
used, and inexpensive boat. Save that for the newer ones that
cost an arm and a leg.

I couldn't wait for the weekend, so I took a few hours off and
drove in to see her.

That sounds like you have really found the right boat.

My impression is that she's basically
solid, but hasn't had any attention paid to her in quite some
time.

Having found the right boat, you are very likely to overlook small problems.
I'm a little bit worried about the way you said "basically".

Get a survey - unless you have the sort of job where you can increase you
income, if you need to.

Often, a survey will pay for itself because it may reveal things that help
you to knock something off the price.

Regards

Donal

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:10:34 -0400, something compelled
"katysails" , to say:

There is some ugly goop around all of the
lifeline stanchions

Warning! Warning! Warning! (as the robot said to Will Robinson...) Get a moisture meter if you're not going to get a survey...bad gook almost always means bad leaks, which mweans bad deck....

It all clicked.

Up in the forepeak, close to the hull/deck join, the inside
covering had fallen off of the hull exposing the insulation, the
deck join, etc. This happened on both sides of the bow. I
didn't think much of it until I put two and two together.

What must have happened was that one day the owner noticed that
this covering was falling off, and that's what alerted him to the
leaking stanchion problem. And then, instead of taking them up
and rebedding them properly, he did a Quick & Easy (i.e., too
little too late) sealing job. It made me wonder what else had
gone wrong and had then been bandaided over.

I told the broker yesterday that I was backing out. It wasn't a
conversation I really wanted to have, but better that than a
twenty-nine foot white elephant. Other boats just like this one
were going for seventeen to twenty thousand, and now I know why
the owner was willing to take nine for his.

The search continues . . .
Simple Simon

Good, I knew you could do it without wasting money
on a surveyor! Attaboy!

The education you're giving yourself is part of the
enjoyment and challenge of buying a boat. Don't
be in too big a hurry and when you do fing that
boat that seems to be perfect offer at least 30
percent less than the asking price. Say you love
the boat but that's just all you can afford.

S.Simon

[...]

( OT ) WHen you're gonna lose -- call off the election Jim General 28 July 16th 04 01:55 AM
Buying an '86 Mako CC 224...is it gonna break in half? MJ Mandrano General 6 June 5th 04 02:42 AM
( OY ) Gonna have to read this one yerself Jim General 0 March 22nd 04 11:21 PM
WE're all gonna DIE!!! Jim General 12 March 2nd 04 06:29 AM
Not gonna work either Djirkie Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 September 28th 03 02:23 AM