Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

Default I'm gonna do it

The Internet is a dangerous place. It's led me to a '73 Ericson
29. Baring unforseen circumstances, I plan to make a (mostly)
full price offer this coming Saturday. I've called the marina at
Hood River Oregon, and they have plenty of space. All I'll need
to do is find someone to help me sail her home from Portland.
katysails

Welcome to the gnarly fray. I hope we contributed to your demise.

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

The Carrolls

Have you much experience? Get charts of the entire area, and ask around for
local information at Portland. It really shouldn't take a lot to go from
Portland to Hood River, the only problem place I see are the Bonneville
locks. I am sure that the attendants would be glad to assist if you were to
explain a few days before hand. I would plan to motorsail, using just the
main, unless the weather were dead calm, then I might hoist a jib just to
get a feel were I bit of a newbie. I would love to help, but I am in
Michigan, That has to be one of the prettiest cruises on Earth, that part of
the Columbia.
"Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam" wrote in message

The Internet is a dangerous place. It's led me to a '73 Ericson
29. Baring unforseen circumstances, I plan to make a (mostly)
full price offer this coming Saturday. I've called the marina at
Hood River Oregon, and they have plenty of space. All I'll need
to do is find someone to help me sail her home from Portland.

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:20:27 GMT, something compelled "The
Carrolls" , to say:

Have you much experience?

I had a San Juan 21 for a few years, and I sailed a Catalina 22 a
few times when I was in the Navy in Long Beach CA. I sailed the
SJ21 on an inland mountain lake in Southern Oregon. The wind
there was generally about fifteen miles per hour and fluky.
Single handed her mostly; I did all right. Entered her into one
race and had the best view in the fleet. Everyone else was in
front.

Get charts of the entire area, and ask around for
local information at Portland. It really shouldn't take a lot to go from
Portland to Hood River, the only problem place I see are the Bonneville
locks. I am sure that the attendants would be glad to assist if you were to
explain a few days before hand.

There are three times during the day when pleasure craft can use
the locks. The Army Corps of Engineers put up a website about
how to use the locks, and it looks pretty simple. If I buy the
boat, I may stop in at Bonneville and ask around.

I would plan to motorsail, using just the
main, unless the weather were dead calm, then I might hoist a jib just to
get a feel were I bit of a newbie.

She has a jib and three genoas. I was figuring on using just the
jib and main until I got the feel of 'er. She also has a
spinnaker, which is a sail I've *never* used, and most certainly
won't this trip.

The wind is mostly dead this time of year anyway. It's very
likely I'll have to use the motor most of the way just because of
that. I'll bring extra gas.

I would love to help, but I am in
Michigan, That has to be one of the prettiest cruises on Earth, that part of
the Columbia.

No doubt. And once over the bar at Astoria (the USCG has its
search and rescue school in Astoria, because it has some of the
most consistently bad conditions anywhere. Crossing the Columbia
River Bar is not for the meek, although if you don't have a bad
case of HUA it can be done safely) you can head north to the San
Juan islands, Vancouver/Victoria, and British Columbia.

Yep. Sucks to be me.

"Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam" wrote in message
.. .

The Internet is a dangerous place. It's led me to a '73 Ericson
29. Baring unforseen circumstances, I plan to make a (mostly)
full price offer this coming Saturday. I've called the marina at
Hood River Oregon, and they have plenty of space. All I'll need
to do is find someone to help me sail her home from Portland.

Steve Daniels, Seek of Spam

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:42:58 +1300, something compelled
The_navigator? , to say:

Can you sail?

Sure.
The Carrolls

You have enough experience. you have done a bit of homework also, you will
do fine. Just remember the guy you buy this boat from most likely wasn't
afraid to use it as is, you may find things you dont like about it, but
don't get cought up in fixing things that are actually ok. When I bought my
boat, it was in Grand haven MI , and I live in Monroe, all the way around.
There were things I worried about and adressed that turned out to be time
and money wasted. Just make sure when you fix or replace something it is
something that you should address not just something you want to, save the
want to untill you need to or have time and money later. IMHO Good luck,
Good sailing Wes Carroll
[...]

Bobsprit

but
don't get cought up in fixing things that are actually ok.

Holy crap.

RB
Jeff Morris

I usually don't make fun of other people's religion, but this does seem a bit bizarre to
me. What kind of worship services do you attend? Do you have a special shrine set aside
for your personal devotions? What in particular attracted you to this rather arcane
veneration?

"Bobsprit" wrote:

Holy crap.

RB

Bobsprit

I usually don't make fun of other people's religion,

Somehow I doubt that.

RB

( OT ) WHen you're gonna lose -- call off the election Jim General 28 July 16th 04 01:55 AM
Buying an '86 Mako CC 224...is it gonna break in half? MJ Mandrano General 6 June 5th 04 02:42 AM
( OY ) Gonna have to read this one yerself Jim General 0 March 22nd 04 11:21 PM
WE're all gonna DIE!!! Jim General 12 March 2nd 04 06:29 AM
Not gonna work either Djirkie Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 September 28th 03 02:23 AM