katysails

Default Too much flat calm weather lately.

I doubt envy is the first thing that
springs to mind when and if you think of sailing up north.

Having been both places and sailed both places, I will say this: If one =
could get rid of winter and keep the sailing weather we have may through =
October to the whole year, then that would be the perfect sailing =
climate. The sub-tropics are nice to visit, but the cloying, =
unrelenting heat get to you after a while and the bug factor can't be =
ignored. And then, if we had the luxury of a 12 month season here, we =
would have perfection...no unsightly barnacles eating away at our hulls, =
no corrosive salt wearing out sails and canvas...no predatory fish =
looking for a meal to jump off the boat any moment...and we don't have =
to fight tide tables up here, so don't have to schedule our comings and =
goings around them. (Don't you have horribly huge tides up there in =
N.S.?) September and October sailing are always the best on Lake =
Michigan. The days are warm and the nights are cool. You can always =
put on another layer if you're not the hearty type.

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Simple Simon

"katysails" wrote in message ...
[...]

********************************

The above is the anatomy of a very lazy individual who
demands it her way.

Hey Katysails, my potential sexy soulmate, only at MacDonald's!

I could be close to heaven teaching you and you could be IN
heaven learning from me.

S.Simon.

Real sailors take it as Mother Nature dishes it out.

katysails

Real sailors take it as Mother Nature dishes it out.

That's right, they do...And that's why so few of us Northern sailors =
bitch and moan about winter when it's upon us and why all you do is =
bitch and moan when the doldrums, hurricanes, etc. are upon you. And =
just to inform you, I always insist on MY WAY....
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Simple Simon

I love you.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Capt. Mooron

I've sailed above the Arctic Circle and below the Equator. I can handle both
extremes. I don't concern myself with other predator species other than to
afford them mutual respect. The insects up North are twice as large, 4 times
as voracious and 8 times more plentiful in the summer than their tiny and
far less annoying Southern cousins.

Hull fouling is not restricted to warm waters... neither is corrosion in
salt water. Lake sailing has it's merits and restrictions. Tides are not a
difficulty... where I am the average is 5 to 7 feet and in the Bay of Fundy
they are 45 feet.

Although I can enjoy where I sail now... I revel in the heat, sun and warm
waters of the tropics.

CM

"katysails" wrote in message

[...]

Peter Wiley

Sorry, Mooron, have to disagree. You forgot to mention the sandflies,
the mosquitoes carrying malaria, the cockroaches big enough to rest
your beer can on, the sticky heat and high humidity day after day
after day with a hot bright white sun beating down and heating
everything so hot that you can see the heat shimmer and get cooked
from the deck alone. You forgot to mention the gallons of sunblock you
need to keep from being fried. You forgot to mention the annoyance of
having to run engines or gensets to keep stuff cool, and the annoying
neighbours who do the same thing.

The tropics are OK for a short holiday on a charter boat, preferably
with aircon, but for living/cruising? Nah. Give me cool climates
where you can snuggle up with someone at anchor after a busy day, and
not melt down in a pool of mutual sweat, skin peeling stickily from
skin......

I like cool climates. Where I live now is just about perfect from my
POV.

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:25:25 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

Crap!... to both of your sentiments regarding cold weather sailing being
more comfortable than warm weather sailing. Nothing beats a warm tropical
breeze pressing canvas to glide your vessel over a turquoise blue sea that
is so transparent you can see the bottom at 60 feet. Unencumbered by excess
clothing and free to enjoy the warmth of the sun while ice cubes crackle and
hiss in your rum punch. At anchor the water invites you to swim... not dares
you to enter. As the coolness of the evening approaches and you rinse off
the salt and sweat with a cool evening shower before retiring to the cockpit
for a sundowner while enjoying the music of the steel drum band on shore
drifting out to your mooring.... I doubt envy is the first thing that

"Scout" wrote in message
| Amen to that Katy. I love sailing in the cold weather. no bugs, no sweat,
| not too many motorboats, plenty of breeze, hot meals and coffee both taste
| better, sleeping is more comfortable all snuggled up in a warm sleeping
bag,
| etc.etc.etc. Just don't fall overboard.
| Scout
|

| "katysails" wrote in message
| Hooray, Hooray...By Ocotber that means we'll be once again Neal=free! And
| while he's been sitting down in the seweltering stink and stench of the
| sub-tropic doldrums, we all up here have been sailing....We had a very
| pleasant night sail alst night...wind at about 8-10 kn....we just ambled
| about a bit until we returned to our mooring...stormy today with a really
| bad forecast with fronts reversing...
|
| --
| katysails
| s/v Chanteuse
| Kirie Elite 32
| http://katysails.tripod.com
|
| "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax
| and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein

Capt. Mooron

Sandflies... Bah! Tropical Mosquitos??? you have to invite them to lunch.
The ones up North land at the airport, hunt you down and consider Deet as a
BBQ sauce. I'm immune to malaria since I was born a carrier.
Blood thickened by a cold weather environment, thins in a few months in the
tropics. The heat becomes a non issue as easily as the cold.

The water though... that warm inviting tropical ocean. The absolute verdant,
lush plant growth, the fruit and exotic vegetables. I'll also include the
price of Rum and Beer is easily affordable. I can't find a thing wrong with
the premise that formal dress is when you decide to wear flip flops.

20 years of 3 month sailing seasons and 9 month winters that drop
temperatures to minus 40's bracketed by 2 days of Spring and 2 days of
Autumn.... your preference for moderation falls upon deaf ears. I've
engaged my fair share of mid summer sailing at 10 degrees. It's not
something that wears well under extended periods. I prefer the option of a
global migration as and when required. Temperate climes for Temperate
people... I enjoy the extremes.

Capt. Mooron
"Spawned in the Hot Humid Jungles of the Congo.... Forged in the Rugged
North Atlantic... and Tempered by the Cold Artic Ice"

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
| Sorry, Mooron, have to disagree. You forgot to mention the sandflies,
| the mosquitoes carrying malaria, the cockroaches big enough to rest
| your beer can on, the sticky heat and high humidity day after day
| after day with a hot bright white sun beating down and heating
| everything so hot that you can see the heat shimmer and get cooked
| from the deck alone. You forgot to mention the gallons of sunblock you
| need to keep from being fried. You forgot to mention the annoyance of
| having to run engines or gensets to keep stuff cool, and the annoying
| neighbours who do the same thing.
|
| The tropics are OK for a short holiday on a charter boat, preferably
| with aircon, but for living/cruising? Nah. Give me cool climates
| where you can snuggle up with someone at anchor after a busy day, and
| not melt down in a pool of mutual sweat, skin peeling stickily from
| skin......
|
| I like cool climates. Where I live now is just about perfect from my
| POV.
|
| On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:25:25 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
| wrote:
|
| Crap!... to both of your sentiments regarding cold weather sailing being
| more comfortable than warm weather sailing. Nothing beats a warm tropical
| breeze pressing canvas to glide your vessel over a turquoise blue sea
that
| is so transparent you can see the bottom at 60 feet. Unencumbered by
excess
| clothing and free to enjoy the warmth of the sun while ice cubes crackle
and
| hiss in your rum punch. At anchor the water invites you to swim... not
dares
| you to enter. As the coolness of the evening approaches and you rinse off
| the salt and sweat with a cool evening shower before retiring to the
cockpit
| for a sundowner while enjoying the music of the steel drum band on shore
| drifting out to your mooring.... I doubt envy is the first thing that
| springs to mind when and if you think of sailing up north.
|
| CM
|
| "Scout" wrote in message
| | Amen to that Katy. I love sailing in the cold weather. no bugs, no
sweat,
| | not too many motorboats, plenty of breeze, hot meals and coffee both
taste
| | better, sleeping is more comfortable all snuggled up in a warm sleeping
| bag,
| | etc.etc.etc. Just don't fall overboard.
| | Scout
| |
| |
| | "katysails" wrote in message
| | Hooray, Hooray...By Ocotber that means we'll be once again Neal=free!
And
| | while he's been sitting down in the seweltering stink and stench of the
| | sub-tropic doldrums, we all up here have been sailing....We had a very
| | pleasant night sail alst night...wind at about 8-10 kn....we just
ambled
| | about a bit until we returned to our mooring...stormy today with a
really
| | bad forecast with fronts reversing...
| |
| | --
| | katysails
| | s/v Chanteuse
| | Kirie Elite 32
| | http://katysails.tripod.com
| |
| | "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax
| | and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein
| |
| |

Capt. Mooron

I doubt you'll find your little Scottish Midge 20 degrees North of the 65th
Parallel... and you haven't encountered the Black Fly if you think your
pathetic Midge is even in the running let alone a contender..... so stick
that in your Bagpipe!

CM

"Wally" wrote in message
| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message news:z9d2b.61411
|
| Sandflies... Bah! Tropical Mosquitos??? you have to invite them to
| lunch.
| The ones up North land at the airport, hunt you down and consider Deet
as
| BBQ sauce.
|
| Holy snack jockeys on a diet, Batman!
|
| Get yourself another 20deg north and try the grand daddy of them all - no
| net has a mesh small enough to stop the dreaded Scottish midge, yet it can
| deflesh a Highland cow inside a minute.
|

| --
| Wally
| I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!
| www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk

Peter Wiley

Yeah.... got to. Amazing how fast you can get fried on the ice, esp
when the humidity is waay down so your skin dries out fast too.

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:01:51 +1000, The Captains Master wrote:

Hey Pete, that hole in the ozone is down there, you use sunblock?

"Scout" wrote in message
| Amen to that Katy. I love sailing in the cold weather. no bugs, no sweat,
| not too many motorboats, plenty of breeze, hot meals and coffee both taste
| better, sleeping is more comfortable all snuggled up in a warm sleeping
bag,
| etc.etc.etc. Just don't fall overboard.
| Scout
|

| "katysails" wrote in message
| Hooray, Hooray...By Ocotber that means we'll be once again Neal=free! And
| while he's been sitting down in the seweltering stink and stench of the
| sub-tropic doldrums, we all up here have been sailing....We had a very
| pleasant night sail alst night...wind at about 8-10 kn....we just ambled
| about a bit until we returned to our mooring...stormy today with a really
| bad forecast with fronts reversing...
|
| --
| katysails
| s/v Chanteuse
| Kirie Elite 32

http://katysails.tripod.com

| "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax
| and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Wally

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message news:XSd2b.61428

I doubt you'll find your little Scottish Midge 20 degrees North of the

65th
Parallel... and you haven't encountered the Black Fly if you think your
pathetic Midge is even in the running let alone a contender..... so

stick
that in your Bagpipe!

My inability to do sums is irreleveant here. Even without calculating the
relative masses of Midges and Black Fly, size is known to be (inversely
proprtional to) everything. Anyway, bagpipes are no use - they'd just make
their way up the chanter and eat you alive from the inside out. The only
creature that can withstand the Midge is a fit, healthy haggis.

noaa weather maps Mike General 4 June 15th 04 02:11 AM
bahamas hotel atlantis hotel bahamas grand bahamas island hotel atlantis hotel in the bahamas hotel in the bahamas adfunk Jehad Internet Cruising 0 February 4th 04 11:42 PM
Favorite weather sites? Larry W4CSC Cruising 5 September 9th 03 04:02 PM
Favorite weather sites? Larry W4CSC Electronics 5 September 9th 03 04:02 PM