Capt. Mooron

Default Too much flat calm weather lately.

I've sailed above the Arctic Circle and below the Equator. I can handle both
extremes. I don't concern myself with other predator species other than to
afford them mutual respect. The insects up North are twice as large, 4 times
as voracious and 8 times more plentiful in the summer than their tiny and
far less annoying Southern cousins.

Hull fouling is not restricted to warm waters... neither is corrosion in
salt water. Lake sailing has it's merits and restrictions. Tides are not a
difficulty... where I am the average is 5 to 7 feet and in the Bay of Fundy
they are 45 feet.

Although I can enjoy where I sail now... I revel in the heat, sun and warm
waters of the tropics.

CM

"katysails" wrote in message

Having been both places and sailed both places, I will say this: If one
could get rid of winter and keep the sailing weather we have may through
October to the whole year, then that would be the perfect sailing climate.
The sub-tropics are nice to visit, but the cloying, unrelenting heat get to
you after a while and the bug factor can't be ignored. And then, if we had
the luxury of a 12 month season here, we would have perfection...no
unsightly barnacles eating away at our hulls, no corrosive salt wearing out
sails and canvas...no predatory fish looking for a meal to jump off the boat
any moment...and we don't have to fight tide tables up here, so don't have
to schedule our comings and goings around them. (Don't you have horribly
huge tides up there in N.S.?) September and October sailing are always the
best on Lake Michigan. The days are warm and the nights are cool. You can
always put on another layer if you're not the hearty type.