Simple Simon

Default It finally hit me.

Yes, boy have I been dumb! But, I figured it out . . .

Lady Sailor is fat because she's pregnant. As soon
as Schoonertrash found out, like a good sailor, he
skipped town because he knew he wasn't even IN
TOWN when the Lady became pregnant. So, Lady
Sailor cabbaged onto Fulmoron and got him drunk and
married so her little one (*******) would have a secure
home.

Mike, I sure hope you have lots of money to share.

Trash - you are a real sailor!

Bwwwahahahahahahhahahahaha!

Bobsprit

Yes, boy have I been dumb!

Have been. Will be.
Always.

RB
Lady Sailor

It's been 33 years since I had my last baby and I have no intention of
walking down that road at this stage of the game.

Now, stop obsessing about my love life and tell me how we can make our boat
back up straigt.

Lady B.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Yes, boy have I been dumb! But, I figured it out . . .

Lady Sailor is fat because she's pregnant. As soon
as Schoonertrash found out, like a good sailor, he
skipped town because he knew he wasn't even IN
TOWN when the Lady became pregnant. So, Lady
Sailor cabbaged onto Fulmoron and got him drunk and
married so her little one (*******) would have a secure
home.

Mike, I sure hope you have lots of money to share.

Trash - you are a real sailor!

Bwwwahahahahahahhahahahaha!

katysails

Counter-rotating props should do it.

....and bow thrusters....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Peter J Ross

alt.sailing.asa has never been the same since Thu, 14 Aug 2003
17:34:57 -0400, when katysails wrote:

Counter-rotating props should do it.

...and bow thrusters....

Read any Freud?

--
PJR :-)
mhm34x8
otnmbrd

If you've got a real nasty prop walk, you may never be able to back
straight.
Some things to try:
1. If you are going to be backing any distance, keep your hands off the
throttle, just use enough "astern" to get her moving in that direction,
with a bit of right rudder (try varying angles). Figure she will not go
perfectly straight, but may travel in a "sine wave". Just use enough
"astern" to keep her moving astern.
2. Looking at your rudder, in the pictures, it's no wonder, that once
you got her going to stbd, especially if you had a lot of right rudder
on, she would want to keep going .... that rudder becomes like a big
"skeg" and will pull her over ..... generally means you have too much
sternway on.

otn

Lady Sailor wrote:
It's been 33 years since I had my last baby and I have no intention of
walking down that road at this stage of the game.

Now, stop obsessing about my love life and tell me how we can make our boat
back up straigt.

Lady B.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

Yes, boy have I been dumb! But, I figured it out . . .

Lady Sailor is fat because she's pregnant. As soon
as Schoonertrash found out, like a good sailor, he
skipped town because he knew he wasn't even IN
TOWN when the Lady became pregnant. So, Lady
Sailor cabbaged onto Fulmoron and got him drunk and
married so her little one (*******) would have a secure
home.

Mike, I sure hope you have lots of money to share.

Trash - you are a real sailor!

Bwwwahahahahahahhahahahaha!

SAIL LOCO

I've found the opposite to be true. To counter prop walk - when forward motion
has stopped put the boat in reverse and rev the hell out of the motor to get it
moving backwards past the prop walk speed then immediatly back off the throttle
and keep enough revs to back the boat straight to where ever you want to go.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
otnmbrd

In truth, there is no "prop walk" speed ..... it is always there. What
you describe is getting enough sternway on that the larger rudder on
your sailboat becomes, somewhat, effective.
Don't get me wrong, this does work, but it has limitations, in that you
may have more way on than you want, and steering astern like this
becomes very sensitive, where, if you should use too much wheel, the
boat may, as was described, take off in that direction and be hard to
correct.
By limiting the "asterns" and keeping the sternway low, you may not go
as straight as you'd like, but you have more time and can more easily
correct, the errors. On my "Contessa", this worked well .... and in fact
if I got too much sternway on she'd let me know, as it would take two
men and a boy to hold the rudder straight.

As in most cases, what works for one may not work for another, but I
generally find I can make slow and easy work more often, for me.

otn

SAIL LOCO wrote:
I've found the opposite to be true. To counter prop walk - when forward motion
has stopped put the boat in reverse and rev the hell out of the motor to get it
moving backwards past the prop walk speed then immediatly back off the throttle
and keep enough revs to back the boat straight to where ever you want to go.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Thom Stewart

Barb,

otn is on the right track. Some vessels are real pigs in reverse. I have
problems when I have the Folding prop because I have to hit high RPM to
get the blades to open.

When I back out of the Slip, I hold the stern in place with the stern
line until I start to make sternway then I throtle back. Remember You
have a neutral gear. Use it to correct sternwalk, once you get some way.
Use reverse in short pulses and correct in neutral allowing for the next
stern walk under power. KEEP RPM LOW, correct in neutal, curse that cut
away stern and prop and keep trying

Ole Thom

I finally did it! electronics help? pmiller Cruising 2 July 21st 04 04:31 AM
Finally splashed RGrew176 General 3 June 5th 04 02:35 AM
Finally got up on the wakeboard! Ree-Yees General 2 June 1st 04 10:28 PM
Finally used the RF Parallax Cruising 20 November 3rd 03 05:56 AM
A watch that I finally bought Paul General 0 August 2nd 03 12:05 PM