RGrew176

Default Finally splashed

Today was the day. I finally splashed the hull. I made it down to the marina
and had them pull me out of the rack and put me in a work rack. I reinstalled
my radar and GPS. Last fall I decided to leave my batteries in the boat only
disconnecting the positive cables and shutting the battery switches off. I
reconnected the cables and cranked the engines and sure enough the cranked like
they had not been sitting the past 7 months. Then I asked them to put me in the
water. I cranked the engines and both started fine. I let them run for 15
minutes and then headed out on to Lake Erie for a short run.

I ran out a couple of miles and turned around and headed back to the dock. My
speedo is not working so I will have to check that out. I am tied off on one of
the docks reserved for rack and launch customers for the night. I have to work
in the morning but after work I will be headed for a rendezvous with Boat Club
members at another Club for the balance of the weekend. The weather finally
looks promising. With all the rain we have had recently I am afraid there is a
lot of debris in the water so I am not going to install my new stainless steel
props until my next trip out.

Got back to the dock and spent the next couple of hours just sitting on the
boat at the dock soaking up the ambience. It's great to be back on the water.

Tally Ho.
Jim

Sounds great, but one question: If you have a GPS, why bother fixing
the speedo? Only 'cause it's a dead guage? :^)

I am afraid there is a lot of debris in the water

I wouldn't have understood this as well if I hadn't seen this myself
last year after the drought was ending in NC. Water levels at a local
lake were over a foot higher than normal and while cruising along, I
kept having to play dodge the log. :^o

-Jim

RGrew176 wrote:
[...]

RGrew176

From: WaIIy

Where are you docked?

I keep my boat at Harbor Marine in rack storage in Bolles Harbor just south of
Monroe, Michigan.
RGrew176

From: WaIIy

I'm in Huron, Ohio.

I made my first trip up the Detroit with several other boats and one
37ft houseboat was dead in the water going up the downbound channel.

He was pooping bricks, but it all worked out.

It was beautiful going up the Detroit River and on to Port Huron.

Port Huron a nice port of call. Been there many times. Just about 20 miles
north is Lexington and even neater port of call.

I've been to the straits once in 97 and planning to go again next year, high
gas prices or not. Did the inland waterway then and will repeat the trip next
year. Cheboygan and Mackinaw City are great stops and plan to hit Mackinaw
Island next year if time permits. Crossing Lake Huron, awesome.

Of course not to much beats the islands, Put in Bay and Kelleys.