Bertie the Bunyip

Default It finally hit me.

"Simple Simon" wrote in
:

Counter-rotating props should do it.

Getting a new beanie?

Bertie

"Lady Sailor" wrote in message
It's been 33 years since I had my last baby and I have no intention
of walking down that road at this stage of the game.

Now, stop obsessing about my love life and tell me how we can make
our boat back up straigt.

Lady B.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Yes, boy have I been dumb! But, I figured it out . . .

Lady Sailor is fat because she's pregnant. As soon
as Schoonertrash found out, like a good sailor, he
skipped town because he knew he wasn't even IN
TOWN when the Lady became pregnant. So, Lady
Sailor cabbaged onto Fulmoron and got him drunk and
married so her little one (*******) would have a secure
home.

Mike, I sure hope you have lots of money to share.

Trash - you are a real sailor!

Bwwwahahahahahahhahahahaha!

Bertie the Bunyip

"katysails" wrote in news:bhgv68$ln0k$1@ID-
178897.news.uni-berlin.de:

Counter-rotating props should do it.

...and bow thrusters....

Good lord.

bertie
Jeff Morris

A transome hung outboard becomes totally useless in a nasty chop.

With the Banana Boat loaded for cuising, she'll start hobby-horsing if a fly lands on the
bow. The propeller on that outboard will lift out on every bounce, turning a lee shore
into a death trap. Neal is wise not to leave his sheltered waters.

Simple Simon wrote:
Otnbrd is wrong and stupid as usual.
He's a motor boater so what else do you expect?

A real sailboat like mine has the propeller abaft the
rudder and the rudder swings through 360 degrees.

It reverse my yacht is just as steerable as it is in forward
because in reverse the prop wash involves the rudder
directly.

Lady Sailor is stuck with a boat that will be difficult to
steer in reverse and unless she goes with counter-rotating
props there is NOTHING that can be done about it.

S.Simon.

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Barb,

otn is on the right track. Some vessels are real pigs in reverse. I
have problems when I have the Folding prop because I have to hit
high RPM to get the blades to open.

When I back out of the Slip, I hold the stern in place with the stern
line until I start to make sternway then I throtle back. Remember You
have a neutral gear. Use it to correct sternwalk, once you get some
way. Use reverse in short pulses and correct in neutral allowing for
the next stern walk under power. KEEP RPM LOW, correct in neutal,
curse that cut away stern and prop and keep trying

Ole Thom

Flying Tadpole

I use a transom hung outboard in nasty chop. The hobbyhorsing and
the prop lifting only occurs if one is stupid enough to be
relying on the motor and attempting to drive straight into the
chop. If the motor is being used sanely, as an "iron jib" assist
to some sail area, the boat is actually sailing, at an angle to
the chop, and heeled with the motion damped. Are you recommending
relying on your motor to drive you straight into a nasty chop to
get you off a lee shore?

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com

Simple Simon wrote:
[...]

Jeff Morris

Yes, FT, when I say "totally useless" you should interpret that as "I recommend it."

The one boat I sailed often that had a transom hung outboard suffered from this problem.
It was a very heavy 26' wooden boat built in the 30's (or earlier) along the lines of a
Stone Horse. On one of my first overnights, I was awakened at 3AM by the owner - our
secure anchorage had turned into a very nasty lee shore - about 50 feet to the rocks. We
started the outboard but it was lifting out on every bounce. We hauled the anchor and
worked off under sail. Two important lessons learned - don't rely on a transom hung
outboard because it might not work when you really want it; but more importantly, the
skills my buddy & I had acquired from years of dinghy sailing are invaluable when you have
only one chance to do a clean tack in the dark!

However, in a more general sense, I would say yes, I do expect a proper engine to be able
to push a boat out of harm's way when needed. There may be better strategies in some
situations, but to imply that an engine can't be expected to take a boat straight into a
chop is a very limited point of view. Some people chose a minimal engine, which is OK, but
its good that you appreciate the limitations inherent in such a setup.

Neal claims that a "proper sailboat" has a transom hung outboard. This may be true, but a
"proper auxiliary sailboat" has an engine that can be relied on to handle the worst
situations.

Simple Simon wrote:
[...]

Thom Stewart

Neal,

Just what the Hell are you talking about?
Your boat doesn't even have a fixed prop. Your vessel doesn't even have
a fixed motor! Your boat isn't even a true Aux. On a true Aux, with the
Prop mounted "Abaft the Rudder" as in a off set shaft, Reverse is a
bloody Nightmare.

Get a true Auxiliary with a decent fixed engine ad learn what the hell
we are talking about. A sailboat with a decent mounted inboard engine
and a proper designed sailing hull can have problems in reverse.

A garbage scow can go forward or reverse equally well but it sails lousy

Thom Stewart

Neal,

While I'm talking about your mental outlook on problems, get your head
in tune to reality.

Things that really have meaning in life aren't concerned with
appearances. Happiness; is that a thin thing or shout?
What does LOVE look like? Please tell me what contentment looks like?
Pride, knowledge, accomplishment, satisfaction, joy, fear, failure, hope
and hopelessness; are any of these things have a thin or a stout
appearance?

In one of your lonely moments give some thought to these things and see,
in your Opinionated Mind if you can give a visual description of these
things

Let us, "DRINK TO THAT!"

Your Obese, 77 year old Buddy,
Thom

Simple Simon

If there is a 'nasty chop' there is wind. If there is wind
we real sailors don't bother with a motor. Sails work
just great. You should try it sometime.

S.Simon

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message ...
A transome hung outboard becomes totally useless in a nasty chop.

With the Banana Boat loaded for cuising, she'll start hobby-horsing if a fly lands on the
bow. The propeller on that outboard will lift out on every bounce, turning a lee shore
into a death trap. Neal is wise not to leave his sheltered waters.

Simple Simon

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message ...
Neal claims that a "proper sailboat" has a transom hung outboard. This may be true, but a
"proper auxiliary sailboat" has an engine that can be relied on to handle the worst
situations.

Your motorboat mentality is showing again. Pathetic, man, pathetic!

S.Simon

I finally did it! electronics help? pmiller Cruising 2 July 21st 04 04:31 AM
Finally splashed RGrew176 General 3 June 5th 04 02:35 AM
Finally got up on the wakeboard! Ree-Yees General 2 June 1st 04 10:28 PM
Finally used the RF Parallax Cruising 20 November 3rd 03 05:56 AM
A watch that I finally bought Paul General 0 August 2nd 03 12:05 PM