Ted Compton

Default Upper Animas First Descent: RFI

Anyone have info on who did the first descent? When? What equipment?
I wouldn't be surprised if one of you is out there listening right
now. Just interested for my own knowledge.
Bill Tuthill

Ted Compton wrote:
Anyone have info on who did the first descent? When? What equipment?
I wouldn't be surprised if one of you is out there listening right
now. Just interested for my own knowledge.

Did you ever find out the answer? I bet it was in a kayak.

None of my Colorado whitewater books say who did the first descent,
although I don't have all the latest guidebooks. Holbek & Stanley
made a point of recording this information for California, but most
guidebook writers don't seem to care. In this case I'm interested.

Chris Webster

Anyone have info on who did the first descent? When? What equipment?
I wouldn't be surprised if one of you is out there listening right
now. Just interested for my own knowledge.

I would call/email down to Four Corners Marina in Durnago and see if
they know. One of the Wiley's must know.

--Chris

p.s. I keep meaning to check my "River's of the SouthWest" book to see
if it says anything.....

Ted Compton

Bill Tuthill wrote in message ...
Ted Compton wrote:
Anyone have info on who did the first descent? When? What equipment?
I wouldn't be surprised if one of you is out there listening right
now. Just interested for my own knowledge.

Did you ever find out the answer? I bet it was in a kayak.

None of my Colorado whitewater books say who did the first descent,
although I don't have all the latest guidebooks. Holbek & Stanley
made a point of recording this information for California, but most
guidebook writers don't seem to care. In this case I'm interested.

No answer yet. The instruction video I got with my new AIRE Raft
(YESSSS!), has a clip of an AIRE Cougar (Twin tube Cataraft)running
no-name rapid at huge water and the caption says FIRST DESCENT. The
Couger is less that 10 years old and my guess was that the actual
first descent was well over 10 years ago. I thought I'd get an answer
right away but I guess I'll have to go ask at the river shop.

TedC
Chris Webster

No answer yet. The instruction video I got with my new AIRE Raft
(YESSSS!), has a clip of an AIRE Cougar (Twin tube Cataraft)running
no-name rapid at huge water and the caption says FIRST DESCENT. The
Couger is less that 10 years old and my guess was that the actual
first descent was well over 10 years ago. I thought I'd get an answer
right away but I guess I'll have to go ask at the river shop.

I was running it 15+ years ago. The picture on the cover of Wheats book
is from the Upper Animas, which was published around 1983. I thought
Stholquists book from around 1979 also had a cover photo from the Upper A.

You can bet they were running it in the '70's though. Noname is a
single difficult rapid on the run, so it's 1st running may not coincide
with the rest of the river, but was being run in the mid-80's for sure.

--Chris

Dan Dunphy

The name was changed from Four Corners Marine to Four Corners River
Sports many years ago. http://www.riversports.com/
Dan

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:50:46 -0700, Chris Webster
wrote:

Anyone have info on who did the first descent? When? What equipment?
I wouldn't be surprised if one of you is out there listening right
now. Just interested for my own knowledge.

I would call/email down to Four Corners Marina in Durnago and see if
they know. One of the Wiley's must know.

--Chris

p.s. I keep meaning to check my "River's of the SouthWest" book to see
if it says anything.....

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.
Dan Dunphy

Fletcher Anderson refers to this run (Siverton to Rockwood), in his
book, Rivers of the Southwest. My copy is 1982.

Doug Wheat took a 10 year sabattical to research his book, released in
1983, and had run it numerous times before we built boats in Apr/May
1983. Sometime during this time, Bill Tuthill, of Colorado Springs,
climed out of the canyon with a dislocated shoulder. They had to walk
back in to get the boats and gear.
Doug was in the middle of negoations with the publisher during our
boat build. Sometime after we finished the build, he lost a boat, and
gear, when his skirt blew off, trying to rescue Curtis Bray. Curtis
tried to run a difficult rapid, without scouting. They said the river
was so high, you could the boulders rolling around in the bed. Doug
and friends did a number of first decents, including the Encampment.

Dan

On 6 Jan 2004 09:58:03 -0800, (Ted Compton) wrote:

Anyone have info on who did the first descent? When? What equipment?
I wouldn't be surprised if one of you is out there listening right
now. Just interested for my own knowledge.

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.
Dan Dunphy

I posed this question to Four Corners Riversports. Here's the
response.

"Dan- I believe it was Milt Wiley and Russell Hooten of Durango in
1975
(approx.). Email me with any other questions.

Cheers- Andy

Andy Corra, President
4 Corners Riversports"

On 6 Jan 2004 09:58:03 -0800, (Ted Compton) wrote:

Anyone have info on who did the first descent? When? What equipment?
I wouldn't be surprised if one of you is out there listening right
now. Just interested for my own knowledge.

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.
Bill Tuthill

In rec.boats.paddle.whitewater Wilko wrote:

1983. Sometime during this time, Bill Tuthill, of Colorado Springs,
climed out of the canyon with a dislocated shoulder. They had to walk
back in to get the boats and gear.

I wonder if this is the same Bill Tuthill that frequents RBP... I think
he now lives in California. He might be able to shed some light on this.

No, not the same guy.
This reminds me of a Maine joke, from an old Bert & I record.

Yesterday while lobsterin' we found a dead body floating around
in the kelp. Thought it might be John, the lighthouse keeper.
So we rowed out to the lighthouse and knocked on the door.

"What can I do for you?" John answered.
"We found a dead man in the kelp, and thought it might be you."
"Was he wearin' a red and black checked wool shirt?"
"Yup."
"And blue overalls?" John asked.
"Yup."
"Did he have on high boots or low boots?"
"Low boots."
"Are you sure?" John queried.
"Come to think of it, they were high boots turned down low."
"Oh then, 'tweren't me!"